Kingdom Hearts at the Team Parks...

Bairstow

Am I alone in being the one person out there who played through both Kingdom Hearts games and didn't really like it? I've been a Final Fantasy fan for most of my life and a Disney fan for all of it, but mixed together the game seemed like a poorly-conceived ice cream flavor (like sea salt, for example).

The games to me were all style over substance, and the pacing was awkward, especially in the 2nd one (MC Chris has a very clever insight into this. Youtube it if there are no children in the room.)

To me though, the most unforgiving aspect of the games was the music. How could they have dropped the ball so badly here? To me Disney is about music as much, if not more than anything else. I wanted to hear Oliver Wallace's "March of the Cards" when I was fighting them, I wanted to listen to Jerry Goldsmith's "Attack at the Wall" when I was tromping around feudal China, and can you imagine how cool it wold have been to hear Wendy Carlos' "Tron Scherzo" switch between the soft and brutal sections when you enter combat in the Space Paranoids level? To me it wasn't just unfortunate that they didn't include the original music in the various levels, it was wrong.

Yes, I know the Pirates level had movie music, but I would rather listen to the Emergency Broadcast System test than a Klaus Badelt score.

Also, the environments, especially in the sequel, felt much too small and much to empty. Final Fantasy games (At leas the old ones) are known for its sprawling environments to explore full of people to talk to and puzzles to solve. I've played multiplayer maps for Quake that were bigger than most Kingdom Hearts "worlds."

I know this turned into a rant, but I think there's a lot you can do with the staggering amount of creative license Disney has granted the Kingdom Hearts team and I think they're dropping the ball in all the wrong places.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom