Kim Irvine - LA Times Interview

Stevek

The scene that focuses solely on the Little Mermaid?

Or the Hawaii scene who's focal point is Stitch and Lilo?
for the most part, they fit fine thematically. Stitch is a bit much and really, the US scene overall is good, it’s just the 3 Toy Story Characters that look far too different than any other characters in the ride. Those 3 are really the big miss for me. We can disagree, no problem with that.

lazyboy97o

Not necessarily. If they blend in well enough to be noticeable but not distracting or intrusive, then they did a good job. I think that the majority of them are done well, the US scene not as much.
A good job at what? The goal was the create a new hide and seek attraction. You say they didn’t do that, so they did not do a good job.

Being both noticeable and not too noticeable is a contradiction. What purpose do the characters serve to the original concept? If they don’t add to the original concept, then they do distract from it.

Sharon&Susan

The America scene feels like it’s from a completely different ride, because it is. It’s a smaller clone of the America scene at DLP, just now with Toy Story characters. The version at DLP was intentionally made to have a different art style than all the other versions (a risk that I don’t think really worked from what I’ve seen of the DLP version)

Phroobar

I get that so-called fans will not like some of the choices that Disney makes with the various projects but it is wildly inappropriate when they believe they have some right to personally attack the people who worked hard on them. It's okay to not like their choices, but the personal attacks we've started to see in recent years and disparaging people by name is absolutely not okay.
Definitely. Case in point is Kelly Marie Tran and how the Star Wars geeks treated her. They took the whole Jar Jar bashing to a whole new level.

Mac Tonight

They should have just lumped all the Disney characters together in one final Disneyland-themed room and left the individual countries alone.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Totally, especially when they personally blame the person in charge of the work. She doesn't make the decisions to do a project, she is assigned projects to do.

And I think we'd all agree people love Small World more then ever... honestly I was bummed when I worked at WDW and there were no characters waiting to be found.
so you saying it is ok to blindly follow your superiors and never question them? that seemed to work out soo well for the Nazi soldiers I recall.

smile

And I think we'd all agree people love Small World more then ever

13487696.gif

I get that so-called fans will not like some of the choices that Disney makes with the various projects but it is wildly inappropriate when they believe they have some right to personally attack the people who worked hard on them. It's okay to not like their choices, but the personal attacks we've started to see in recent years and disparaging people by name is absolutely not okay.

giphy.gif

Case in point is...

giphy.gif

This is a company... a for profit company that is publicly traded...

giphy.gif

Last edited:

disneyC97

Seems they’re working on that off-center window on NoS?...I always thought it could be fixed with some additional detail on the exterior.

Stevek

A good job at what? The goal was the create a new hide and seek attraction. You say they didn’t do that, so they did not do a good job.

Being both noticeable and not too noticeable is a contradiction. What purpose do the characters serve to the original concept? If they don’t add to the original concept, then they do distract from it.
How is that a contradiction? They can be noticeable but not so noticeable as to completely distract from the show/message. They fit within the concept to me (ex Woody, Bullseye and Jessie). They don't for you. No need to continue the debate.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom