Killamanjaro Safaris Question...

MacRtst

Original Poster
When I went in Jan of last year, I went on Killamanjaro Safaris for the first time. We were there for a week and rode on it several times. The very first time when we were just getting into the "poaching" area I remember gunshots and the jeep moving around the corner (as if it were driving off). BUT... ever since then, I have never seen the jeep move in the jungle. I even went back in september but still no jeep.

Has anyone else seen this? Or am I just imagining things?

Thanks in advance.

Empress Room

Your question is more appropriate for the "General Discussion" section, however...

When the attraction first opened, there were gunshots and a visual of a jeep moving (mechanically) on a rail or bar through the jungle. The scene culminated in finding Little Red near the airplane/truck and a live CM "guarding" her and interacting with the safari driver.

That scene has dramatically been altered. No more live CM (much like the one that used to interact with the video in the RnRc pre-show area with Aerosmith) and the jeep no longer moves. Mechanical trouble? Cost-cutting on the use of another CM? Your guess is as good as mine.

Brent

No its not your imagination the jeep, gunshots, & CM guard are indeed gone. I was there a few weeks ago & was surprised to have no jeep ect. The last time I was there was last feb. & for some reason remember seeing all that there then or maybe I was just imagine them being there last feb anyway they are gone which is sad because they did add a bit more to the story of the ride.

ctwhalerman

This attraction has steadily lost many of its effects since 1998. Anyone remember the rickety old bridge that used to 'collapse' when the jeeps went over it?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The physical jeep has been gone for quite some time, several years I think. The audio (gunshots and jeep) is still present as well as the track the jeep rode on. I would love to see the jeep back or the scene altered.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
ctwhalerman said:
This attraction has steadily lost many of its effects since 1998. Anyone remember the rickety old bridge that used to 'collapse' when the jeeps went over it?
It still does. It is kind of hit or miss as to weather it works or not.

peter11435

ctwhalerman said:
That is still there. I have been on the ride 7 times in the last two months and it has worked 6 out of 7 times. There are sensors that stop the effect from working if there is a bird or other animal under the bridge.

As for the jeep it has not been removed however it almost never works. It has been a very off and on effect for years. It won't work for months then they fix it and a couple weeks later it is broke again.

imagineersrock

Master Yoda said:
The physical jeep has been gone for quite some time, several years I think. The audio (gunshots and jeep) is still present as well as the track the jeep rode on. I would love to see the jeep back or the scene altered.
Something needs to be done... at the moment, the entire "finale" is a joke. Back in the day (when the CM still "stood guard" and gave us the "Little Red is Okay!) it made for a very effective and entertaining ending... especially for first-time guests.

This current incarnation is just plain bad show. It is clear that even the best of the Safari Drivers are having trouble delivering the entire story when most of the effects to go along with it are not working.

peter11435

imagineersrock said:
This current incarnation is just plain bad show. It is clear that even the best of the Safari Drivers are having trouble delivering the entire story when most of the effects to go along with it are not working.

Yeah for a while now the jeep, the geysers, wilsons arm, and the camp fire smoke have not been working. This along with them getting rid of the live CM make the ending very week.

Chape19714

peter11435 said:
Yeah for a while now the jeep, the geysers, wilsons arm, and the camp fire smoke have not been working. This along with them getting rid of the live CM make the ending very week.

I say bring back the originally planned ending where Little Red is a vicim of the poachers. :lookaroun Kidding. Although it would be a much more powerful message on the dangers of poaching. However, Disney needs happy endings...because well, it's Disney. :lol:

The Jeep effect worked not too long ago, probally 2-4 months ago. The rails are visible as you pass it on the left. The geysers really need to be fixed...that's bad show. It's not like anyone got wet from them, so why not keep them up and running? :veryconfu

peter11435

Chape19714 said:
I say bring back the originally planned ending where Little Red is a vicim of the poachers. :lookaroun Kidding. Although it would be a much more powerful message on the dangers of poaching. However, Disney needs happy endings...because well, it's Disney. :lol:

The Jeep effect worked not too long ago, probally 2-4 months ago. The rails are visible as you pass it on the left. The geysers really need to be fixed...that's bad show. It's not like anyone got wet from them, so why not keep them up and running? :veryconfu
For a while none of the geysers were working. Then I rode once and one of the geysers went up about half way. Since then none have worked. I can't wait until they are all working properly again.

imagineersrock

peter11435 said:
For a while none of the geysers were working. Then I rode once and one of the geysers went up about half way. Since then none have worked. I can't wait until they are all working properly again.
A few were going off yesterday..... it's a start, but there is still much to be done to fix up that final scene. I wonder if any of the Imagineers working on Everest have been on Kilimanjaro Safaris recently ---I'm curious as to what their opinion on it's current state would be.

ToTBellHop

Maybe now that Everest is just about complete, they will move their work back to the rest of the park to get Dinosaur and Kilimanjaro working as they should...

MacRtst

Original Poster
I'm glad I was not imagining things. Funny though... I didn't know about the guysers at all. :lookaroun
Don't get me wrong I still love the ride. I was lucky b/c the first time I rode it everyting was great. The animals, the story, the guide all worked perfectly (minus the guysers). I compare all the ones I've gone on since, to that one. I got spoiled right off the bat.

gniko21

gniko21

peter11435 said:
As for the jeep it has not been removed however it almost never works. It has been a very off and on effect for years. It won't work for months then they fix it and a couple weeks later it is broke again.

I just assumed (yea, I know) that whether or not you saw the jeep depended more on how the effect was cycling in response to where the tour vehicles were located on the road. When I was last there over a year ago, I saw the jeep a couple of times but not every time I rode.

Scooter

I remember when the ride first opened all the drivers/guides were actually from Africa.

They were hard to understand, but they really made this attraction more realistic.

imagineersrock

Scooter said:
I remember when the ride first opened all the drivers/guides were actually from Africa.

They were hard to understand, but they really made this attraction more realistic.
I know, I loved that!

Not sure if all the drivers were, but a decent amount were that's for sure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom