Kilimanjaro Safaris Question

dreamscometrue

Original Poster
Although they appear to be wandering freely, I understand that there are hidden barriers (moats, fences, etc.) on this attraction that keep some of the animals from getting close. No problem with that concept. Everytime I ride, however, we seem to get close to the rhino(s). The last time, we were very close. Are the rhinos somehow cleverly seperated from us, or are they in fact free and not considered any more of a threat than the freely moving giraffes? :)

DisneyLindz

If you look closely at the bushes, trees, logs, etc. you will see the barriers for most of the animals.

However.... I believe that the Rhinos are separated from other animals, but they are fully capable of crossing the paths where the vehicles drive on the ride. A few years ago the vehicle that I was in got stopped by a big rhino that stared us down for about 10 minutes. He wandered in front of our vehicle and stood still, and we just had to wait it out. It was pretty cool (and a little scary :eek: ) to have a big mean rhino stare at us like he was going to charge.

I know some of the other animals are also able to wander in the path of the vehicles, we had a giraffe meander past ours last time we were there.

I wonder if there have been any incidents where the animals got "too close" to the people on the ride and the CM actually had to intervene. Anybody know if this has happened?

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Someone recently posted a photo of a rhino crossing the road in front of their Safari vehicle, so I'm guessing there're no barriers there.

Rhinos aren't likely to eat guests... I don't think they need a barrier.

teebin

hippo's are totally barriered from getting out of the water and getting close, so are the crocs, the elephants cannot get close as their water pools are steep and deep closest to the vehicle. the Lion is on a high island of land with a huge and deep steep walled moat which is hidden from view. The vehicles are designed so that they can withstand a rhino charge if it were ever to happen and it is unlikely it ever would. And the coolest part is the so-called "Ha-ha" fence surrounding the entire compound. It is a huge 8' berm of sand that is only 15-20 feet deep that surrounds the safari area, At the foot of the berm is a 10-16' chain link fence. It is called a ha-ha fence because none of the running/jumping type creatures can get up enough speed to jump the fence because of the berm and immediate fence at it's base. The only slight danger to anyone is any idiot putting their hand out to the face of an Ostrich or Giraffe and getting nipped.

dreamscometrue

Original Poster
Someone recently posted a photo of a rhino crossing the road in front of their Safari vehicle, so I'm guessing there're no barriers there.

Rhinos aren't likely to eat guests... I don't think they need a barrier.

I agree. I just always, probably unfairly, thought of them as dangerous. Having said that however, getting really close to one was the coolest experience ever on Kilimanjaro Safaris.

PREMiERdrum

I don't think guests have much to worry about with the rhinos. I always thought of them as very dangerous until recently when I did a story at a local wild animal park. Standing inside an inclosure rubbing one of these magnificent animals reminded me of being with a huge, rough skinned dog. It just happened, however, to be a dog big enough to eat me if I did something stupid.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I don't think guests have much to worry about with the rhinos. I always thought of them as very dangerous until recently when I did a story at a local wild animal park. Standing inside an inclosure rubbing one of these magnificent animals reminded me of being with a huge, rough skinned dog. It just happened, however, to be a dog big enough to eat me if I did something stupid.

Rhinos are vegetarian aren't they? They won't eat you, but being gored likely would put a cramp in your day... :p

dreamscometrue

Original Poster

That's so cool! I guess that part of what makes that encounter during Kilimanjaro Safaris so exciting is the apparent danger.

bandtrumpet

There are no bariors for the rhinos, i was wondering this too and then i saw it on the travle channel show "disney's Animal Kingdom"

kcnole

the last time I rode it the rhino walked right up to the truck and bumped it so no I don't think they're seperated. lol

tunaman68

Don't think you need to worry about rhinos charging a safari vehicle!!

f_IMG0477i_2e95m_43e61350.jpg

f_IMG0475i_2e95m_2c64be90.jpg

f_IMG0481i_2e95m_4f0e268c.jpg

These guys were at the Wild Animal Park in CA. As you can see, they were more interested in the apple slices and carrot sticks, than in trashing our truck!

:)

GoofyMom2

And, yes, rhinos are herbivores....

They only charge to see if something is a threat (they have very poor vision) or if they think something is a theat. Since they are very used to the safari vehicles, they have no need to charge. (IMHO from working w/ white rhinos at our zoo)

We have protected contact here.....while they might not mean to hurt us, if 4,000 lbs of animal with a large horn accidently bumps you, it can do serious damage!

:eek:
They are like a combo of a dog, cow and a tank....love them dearly....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom