Kilimanjaro Safaris Down Indefinitely?

CrashNet

I'm a driver at ksr and we were shut down for a short period because an ostrich laid an egg on the ride path. Sounds like a joke I know but it really happened
Really? How do you address those kinds of things? Ostriches are extremely protective of their young/nest and Disney tries their best not to disturb the safari habitat...or do they always remove eggs, etc from the safari to care for them backstage?

bates1960

we only have female ostriches so the egg that was laid was not fertilized. To be honest I am not sure what the animal keepers do with them once they are laid. It did cause us to be down for a little while but again, I don't really know what happened to the egg after that, it happens ocassionally.

psuchad

we only have female ostriches so the egg that was laid was not fertilized. To be honest I am not sure what the animal keepers do with them once they are laid. It did cause us to be down for a little while but again, I don't really know what happened to the egg after that, it happens ocassionally.

Omelets!

bates1960

I have often wondered the same thing, about them getting protective over unfertilized eggs. My guess is no, I would believe they knew the difference but I don't know for sure. I wasn't anywhere near the egg when it happened (I was on lunch) so I didn't see this all take place I just found out about it upon returning from the cafeteria.

Boray

With regards to whether or not the bird would be as protective of an unfertilized egg as a fertilized one, my husband (who has an avian science degree) said "you could stick a tennis ball in the nest with it and the bird would kill you for it. If it is in the nest, it must be an egg and an egg is as good as a baby to them." So, I guess it doesn't matter.

I just think it's funny that a bird laying an egg would shut down the whole attraction! :ROFLOL:

KeeKee

With regards to whether or not the bird would be as protective of an unfertilized egg as a fertilized one, my husband (who has an avian science degree) said "you could stick a tennis ball in the nest with it and the bird would kill you for it. If it is in the nest, it must be an egg and an egg is as good as a baby to them." So, I guess it doesn't matter.

I just think it's funny that a bird laying an egg would shut down the whole attraction! :ROFLOL:
Having lived with 6 parrots for 20+ years, I second what you said. It's funny what they become protective of and downright dangerous over.

WDWmom64055

I'm just chiming in with my feelings...

Thank you all for being such a great group of people! I've been combing various Disney boards since I started planning our upcoming trip, and the people at this site are far and away the nicest group on the internet!

:sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

When I read the original post I was worried what kind of response it would get. Happy to say, I got a grin from some and a giggle from the CM who shared the egg story.

1disneydood

we only have female ostriches so the egg that was laid was not fertilized.

Dr. Ian Malcom said:
Life... uh... finds a way.
57.jpg

Chaos theory, anyone? :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom