Kilimanjaro Safari- Poaching story line: Do you miss it ?

cookiee_munster

I think if anything, with what's going on in the world right now, it should be Disney's job to put more emphasis on the conservation aspect that Animal Kingdom is meant to uphold. Otherwise, it just turns into another fancy zoo with rides and nothing more... I was once enthusiastic about kali river rapids losing the logging theme over some kind of Jungle Book retheme, but i really think the logging and deforestation element should actually be pushed more, it's a pretty serious topic. What better place to show kids (and adults) that we really need to be more responsible for our actions. Even down to something as tiny as recycling stuff.

So, that was my original post above. I've struck it out because after I finished typing it, there was another part of me that's of the opinion - is that just too much? People going to the parks and spending hard-earned money, do they need to see stuff like that? It's such a grey area. There's educating, and then there's the kind of shock value that just becomes really upsetting and a massive downer, which obviously isn't needed during your family time at a Disney park of all places.

I think if there was a way of educating people, and making them aware without it being too much then I'm all for it.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I agree -- it was good and I enjoyed it.

It's just that it's better without it.
Disagree. Opinions and all. Feels less Disney now. Less fun. Devoid of the creativity that once made the attraction unique and engaging however misguided. Miss the effects. Went from an active experience to a passive+ one. (photo op with animal facts) Still good but less good, IMO. Nahtazu!

UNCgolf

Disagree. Opinions and all. Feels less Disney now. Less fun. Devoid of the creativity that once made the attraction unique and engaging however misguided. Miss the effects. Went from an active experience to a passive+ one. (photo op with animal facts) Still good but less good, IMO. Nahtazu!

Definitely opinions/subjective, but to me the point of the ride is to see the animals. There's nothing else like it anywhere in the US (yes, there are drive throughs where you can see animals, but they're A. nowhere near as realistic as the one at Disney and B. generally really bad for the animals and not well-run).

The storyline detracted from the whole purpose of it, and the animals are more interesting/impressive than the storyline. The poaching thing would work better as a separate dark ride or something that didn't turn living animals into background set dressing.

Last edited:

danyoung56

Definitely opinions/subjective, but to me the point of the ride is to see the animals. There's nothing else like it anywhere in the US (yes, there are drive throughs where you can see animals, but they're A. nowhere near as realistic as the one at Disney and B. generally really bad for the animals and not well-run).
San Diego Zoo runs a really nice wild animal park that you take a bus through. Can't remember the name, but it is a totally natural environment. I don't know how it compares to KS, as it's been many years since I've been there. But Disney doesn't hold an exclusive on this market.

UNCgolf

San Diego Zoo runs a really nice wild animal park that you take a bus through. Can't remember the name, but it is a totally natural environment. I don't know how it compares to KS, as it's been many years since I've been there. But Disney doesn't hold an exclusive on this market.

I almost mentioned San Diego Zoo -- it's the only one I'm aware of that's roughly comparable, although I don't think it's quite as good as Kiliminjaro Safari.

graphite1326

I took a bus through Baltimore once. Wouldn't that be the same thing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom