Kids races

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Original Poster
Anybody have any kids that have participated in the kids races? My daughter (5 years old) is going to run in the kids race before the EE Challenge in May. She knew mom and dad were racing for a medal, and wanted one of her own.

How does it work? Do I run with her? Or is the race such that I never lose sight of her?

Thanks in advance!

fmingo36

My 2 girls participated in the Kid Races this past October (Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon weekend).

The kids are divided up by their age. They run the races youngest to oldest.
My youngest was 3 at the time and when it was her turn to run, she wanted me to run with her. I held her hand and ran the 100m with her.

My eldest daughter was 6 at the time and wanted to run by herself (200m). I stayed at the starting line and my husband waited at the finish line.
She actually came in 1st place(Sorry but had to brag a little bit :))!!! Every kid gets a medal but it was still very exciting for her.

picture.php

The races themselves are over very quickly but there is entertainment before the races; A DJ playing songs and getting the kids to dance. It's fun for the whole family.
The girls got a racing bib with their name on it, a cute Mickey's race t-shirt that said "I did it!" on the back and the glow-in-the-dark Mickey Ghost medal, which was adorable. DEFINITELY worth the $10 registration fee. The only negative thing is that if you are planning on being at the park that day, your losing a lot time between registration and waiting for the races.

dreamfinder

They did also just add a video for the 5k/kids races from the Princess 1/2 weekend. Go to mydisneymarathon.com/princess, go to multimedia, and then you can watch the video. Shows bits of a bunch of the races to help you get a better idea.

Pooh Bear RN

What about the Mickey mile race? Do they allow the parents run the distance with the kids? My mom and I have registered for the 1/2 in Jan 2012 and my 6 year old and 11 year old have expressed interest in the mile race.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I hope Isabeau will start participating in things like this soon. Kids that get involved with activities like this are shoe ins for a more successful lifestyle in the future and have a better chance of staying out of trouble as teen and young adults.

Good job everyone.

My son (7) is really into running and wants to do his first 5k. Considering that Mom and Dad are doing the wine & dine half, I thought this might be a good entry into races.

But I do have some concerns. I know that I (or my wife) probably won't be able to run a 5k at 7am followed by a 1/2 that same night. I know I still have to talk to my son, but would it be inappropriate to have him run the race by himself? Obviously we will be there to cheer him on, and waiting at the finish line.

I don't think getting lost will be an issue, but he may be overwhelmed by the people.

JillC LI

My son (7) is really into running and wants to do his first 5k. Considering that Mom and Dad are doing the wine & dine half, I thought this might be a good entry into races.

But I do have some concerns. I know that I (or my wife) probably won't be able to run a 5k at 7am followed by a 1/2 that same night. I know I still have to talk to my son, but would it be inappropriate to have him run the race by himself? Obviously we will be there to cheer him on, and waiting at the finish line.

I don't think getting lost will be an issue, but he may be overwhelmed by the people.

I would let my 12 year old run it alone in a heartbeat and maybe my 9 year old, but I'm not so sure about a 7 year old. I guess it depends on whether you think the child will be comfortable going that distance without moral support as well as whether the child will feel comfortable amongst that mass of strangers. I'd vote no-go for my own kids but I don't know your child's abilities.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom