Kids First Time- Stay at ASM, PORR or POFC

The_Girl's_Mom

Original Poster
I am torn and need advice......We are taking our 2 Girls (10 and 4) to Disney for their first time, I want then to have the an amazing experience and figured that the ASM would give them the feel of living inside a Disney movie for a week. I know the AS resorts are the most "family friendly" but.....DH and I are both in our 40's and would prefer a little comfort and nicer amenities.

We are going Presidents Day Week in 2018, have 5 day hopper passes and DDP (figured best bang for our buck with Character dining besides my family could empty a grocery store in one meal), I want my Girls to remember their first time fondly and think back when they are older. So should DH and I suck it up for the kids sake and stay with our booked reservation in the ASM?

correcaminos

Trust me, the moderates are just as "Family Friendly" and very much feel inside the Disney bubble. I grew up going to Disney and the values didn't open until I was a young adult.

If you aren't happy with the amenities of a value, you won't have as good of a trip which will rub off on everyone. So go for the bigger rooms with the amenities you want and you won't regret it. Port Orleans resorts have wonderful themes and really transport you to the south in either riverside or French quarter. They are more quiet and more relaxed feeling which I find a bonus on the trips.

As an FYI your 10 year old is considered an adult for the DDP. You might find that to be more expensive doing the DDP than not. Remember the DDP you have to pay tip out of pocket as well so it's not even pre-paid. Check this out to see if it will save you money https://www.distripplanner.com/

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
That will be a busy weekend.

I'd switch to POR. Bigger rooms, bigger beds (Values [other than renovated Pop rooms] are double, not queen beds, tight for 2 adults), 2 sink vanity, very few tour groups, table service restaurants (Boatwrights has great shrimp and grits) and the boat to Disney Springs. Oh, and unless they've recently added them, Values don't have coffee makers in the rooms.

DisAl

I agree with LAKid53 and helenabear. We "moved up" from Pop Century to Port Orleans Riverside last trip and it was well worth the difference in price to us.
POFQ is smaller than POR and easier to get around in, but POR has the "Royal Guest Room" if you want to spring for a real Disney themed room.
Both POFQ and POR have boat transportation to Disney Springs.

Last edited:

wagner1225

If you could upgrade, a AOA suite would give you a separate bedroom/bathroom and the kids would have separate beds and the ultimate Disney feel as they are themed, we enjoyed the resort with just adults, the whole resort is themed and one of the largest pools at disney,, check out pictures...

TiggerDad

I am sure they will remember their first trip to Disney regardless of where you stay. If you can afford the extra cost, Port Orleans is nicer than the All-Stars. But whichever you choose, you can still make the entire experience a memorable one for them. There are special touches to make you feel like you are in the Disney bubble at any of those options. The theming at the All-Stars is more basic and in your face, and more subtle as you go up to Moderates, but still plenty to make your girls feel like they are at Disney. Have fun and enjoy!

21stamps

I'd choose POFQ because of the size. (Only one I've stayed at out of the bunch)

I've never understood why the Value resorts are labeled as "most kid friendly":. I think of them as more for people who are doing open to close at the parks, all day every day. I'd much rather take a kid to a resort that has a pool slide and more than one form of transportation.

DisAl

I think you have made a great choice.
One of the fun things based at POR is the carriage rides:
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/recreation/carriage-rides/
Make reservations in if you want to do this because they usually book up well in advance.
DSC03938.JPG

jaklgreen

Adults way over think this. The kids will love any resort you stay at. You are at WDW!! My kids have been going since the youngest was 18 months old and she is now 15. They never once said "Geez Mom, we really don't like the theming at this resort".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom