Kevin Yee's latest article on RFID/MagicBands

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I found the battery part particularly amusing since the cover letter of the FCC filing clearly says "battery". You don't need to know anything about technology to catch that one.

But how many people READ FCC filings????

I design RF goodies and have a GROL (How I miss ye 1st Class Radiotelephone and 1st Class Radiotelegraph) and I barely read the FCC site except to check out competitors filings. So it does not surprise me at all that a layman like Kevin Yee does not read them.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
@KevinYee has a piece published on miceage today talking about Magicband and the technology involved. Link

Kevin, I have to say - have you been living under a rock for the last year with regard to this stuff? This article is atrocious.

It starts off with...

All of a sudden? It's been known for over a year, since the FCC filing (discussed here http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/disney’s-rfid-magic-band-arrives-on-the-fcc.852492/ ) that the magic band has two RFID chips AND a 2.4GHz radio that transmits.

Second, Disney has long since acknowledged the presence of 'Long Range Readers' - which is what the 2.4GHz radio transmits to.

Then we have have 'proof' this reading from a distance happens. Uhh.. yeah.. its been there all along. It's covered in the technical stuff, and has been rumored from the start for things like the attractions that interact with you (IASW dolls and signs remember??)

The question has always been to what kind of resolution and what interest Disney has with the long range reading - not if it ever existed. It's the exact scenario Iger countered in his letter saying they could opt out of Bands and use the RFID enabled card only - which does NOT have the 2.4GHz radio and hence, no long range reader support.

Counter-Intuitive? No -- it makes perfect sense. Different applications have different needs. That's why the band has 3 different things in it - and not just one. You don't broadcast sensitive info and require greater access for that.

If that is what you took away from those discussions - the fault is on YOU Kevin. Those are the conclusions people had and knew about. You've either misunderstood, or miscontrued the facts to serve a predisposed conclusion.

The technical ERRORs in the article continue on and on..

UGH.. did you just take the facts throw them in a blender and see what came out? It's not a 2.4GHz RFID tag... there are two RFID tags in them, one HF (13.56MHz) and one UHF (433MHz) tag. The 2.4GHz reference is to the radio in the device intended to broadcast to the 'wireless infrastructure'. The two RFID tags are passive tags that need irradiating to function.

Really??? Welcome to 12 months ago Kevin.

Yes the magicband has long range capabilities - the question has always been what is the intent for those. Yes, the magicband has near field capabilities (the HF tag) - it's what's been used for door locks, and presumably the FP+ and tap to pay systems. The passive UHF tag has a longer range in theory than the HF tag and it's use is unknown.

The photopass system could be using either the 2.4GHz radio or the UHF tag.

It's not known yet if the ticket only or KTTW cards have the UHF chip or not.

I speculate that the photopass stuff works only with the 2.4GHz radio - because it doesn't require an active reader, would be more flexible in attractions (greater distance pickup) and gives more reason to upsell to the bands.

Disney's intentions with the long range readers are not verified - there are LOTS of technical capabilities depending on what their intentions are. They could be real-time only, they could log it all, they could use it for simple crowd management, they could create audit logs of triangulation of every guest at various points throughout their entire stay. Some of these are more realistic than others - it's all down to the motivations and how much effort one is willing to invest.
Yeah, that whole article really confused me. The FCC filing is clear. It's been released for a long time (even before testing) that Disney intended this sort of use...

And, what I found the crown jewel (in poor writing) in that article is that he uses Disney's "Terms of Use" for the MagicBands (which have been public since testing started) as the coup de graps proof for his article.

I'm like...what the heck? Why is this news? It's common knowledge for anyone who has been paying even the slightest attention...

danlb_2000

Premium Member

I design RF goodies and have a GROL (How I miss ye 1st Class Radiotelephone and 1st Class Radiotelegraph) and I barely read the FCC site except to check out competitors filings. So it does not surprise me at all that a layman like Kevin Yee does not read them.

But this site and others posted news of the FCC filing last year with a link directly to the documents. You would think anyone who is doing serious reporting on WDW would have taken a little time to browse through the documents.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Original Poster

except it was covered extensively here, and on many many sites. And has been covered again and again as Iger had his letter to the Congressman.. and then again in Tom Staggs comments at various points. Basically.. if you consider yourself even following WDW you should be aware of the high level stuff. If you are going to go and publish an ARTICLE on the topic.. maybe some basic research would be suggested?

Now the lay are all wound up. The best is like one of the posters on micechat referencing a Robert Niles article from 2011(!!) covering the initial mickey head readers test at EPCOT as if that's how WDW is setup. *facepalm*

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
except it was covered extensively here, and on many many sites. And has been covered again and again as Iger had his letter to the Congressman.. and then again in Tom Staggs comments at various points. Basically.. if you consider yourself even following WDW you should be aware of the high level stuff. If you are going to go and publish an ARTICLE on the topic.. maybe some basic research would be suggested?

Now the lay are all wound up. The best is like one of the posters on micechat referencing a Robert Niles article from 2011(!!) covering the initial mickey head readers test at EPCOT as if that's how WDW is setup. *facepalm*

MEGO syndrome, Mine Eyes Glazeth Over when a three letter agency is mentioned. Happens all the time, Ugh government who wants to research that...

JohnD

I wonder if this is why were had multiples of each picture from the rides on our PP account? I stopped at each ride and had it added to our card, no one told me it was unnecessary. As they take your picture on the ride they would have to send the picture straight to your band as you were riding. Cool if you ask me.

Yeah, I logged on after my trip and found photos of me from SpaM, SplM, Buzz Lightyear and Dinosaur. Then why the heck did I pay for download only of the SpaM photo? I can choose after the fact without paying at the park.

DManRightHere

It is cool, but it still doesn't really justify why do it.

Its sort of like Amazon's supposedly future drone delivery system. Yeah, its cool that we could conceivably do that, but is it really necessary? Sort of sums up the whole Magic Band initiative. Yeah, its neat in a techno-big-brother sort of way, but just because its neat doesn't necessarily mean we should do it.

It's all about making money right?

All your pictures from every ride goes into your account (I think I understood that correctly) to make you itch to buy it.

Amazon would not be intetested in drone technology if it were not going to save them money. It is the tiny packages that are making them loose money as far as shipping. Find a lower cost than your negotiated rate with other shippers and amazon is saving money.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Original Poster
Amazon would not be intetested in drone technology if it were not going to save them money. It is the tiny packages that are making them loose money as far as shipping

No, it's the tiny eye balls looking at other sites losing them money. The whole drone thing was a publicity stunt for the black friday/cybermonday news cycles.

DManRightHere

No, it's the tiny eye balls looking at other sites losing them money. The whole drone thing was a publicity stunt for the black friday/cybermonday news cycles.

Could very well had been publicity stunt. They can still loose money on shipping on a $2.00 dvd to a prime member.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom