Ketchup and Mustard Pumps Removed at Casey’s Corner

Cesar R M

So they removed pumps which allowed you to pump directly onto a hot dog or fries or into a small paper container and replaced it with sachets which can't be recycled and hugely wasteful as people take loads of them and unused ones usually end up in the bin. Shows Disney's sustainably is clueless.
I actually wonder if it had more to do with the messes people leave.

I still have vivid memories of when I visited casey's in early January 2016.
A family let their "precious" run rampant with the pumps, leaving a mess that reached the floor and left a huge splotch of condiments in the floor.
And noone cleaned that for like an hour.(staff probably waiting for the family to be gone, since they kept going back to the pumps).

RollerCoaster

Agreed. I don't know why more places don't use these:
View attachment 419132

They cost a bit more but there has to be far less waste.

As a former F&B Director for a major movie theater chain I can tell you why most places don't use the Heinz dip & squeeze- it's because it's a very expensive condiment product. The ketchup in this packaging is priced typically 2 to 2.5 times more per ounce than tear packets. The chepest way to serve ketchup is with bulk product and a pump dispensed into 1/2 to 1 ounce paper sauce cups.

Also there is not far less waste. Just like with tear packets consumers remain just as wasteful and take far more than they really need. Sadly I used to figure that about 15-20% of the packets I purchased would end up in the trash, never used. You've probably seen the pile of packets left on tables after the guests before you depart. That's from the morons who think the party after them will use them, but don't realize that if my buser gets to that table before the next party those packets will be trash. You can't reuse serve them.

I'll never understand why people can't take a couple and then if you need more you get up and take a couple more. That's why my philosophy with condiment packets and cups is that you're best to keep them behind the counter. The waste blows up your food cost.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
As a former F&B Director for a major movie theater chain I can tell you why most places don't use the Heinz dip & squeeze- it's because it's a very expensive condiment product. The ketchup in this packaging is priced typically 2 to 2.5 times more per ounce than tear packets. The chepest way to serve ketchup is with bulk product and a pump dispensed into 1/2 to 1 ounce paper sauce cups.

Also there is not far less waste. Just like with tear packets consumers remain just as wasteful and take far more than they really need. Sadly I used to figure that about 15-20% of the packets I purchased would end up in the trash, never used. You've probably seen the pile of packets left on tables after the guests before you depart. That's from the morons who think the party after them will use them, but don't realize that if my buser gets to that table before the next party those packets will be trash. You can't reuse serve them.

I'll never understand why people can't take a couple and then if you need more you get up and take a couple more. That's why my philosophy with condiment packets and cups is that you're best to keep them behind the counter. The waste blows up your food cost.
Would it be less wasteful to include packets of ketchup, mustard and mayo with each sandwich bought?

RollerCoaster

Would it be less wasteful to include packets of ketchup, mustard and mayo with each sandwich bought?

Including packets means you're often giving someone something they don't want or need. Lots of people don't like at least one of the condiments you mentioned and most won't mix all three, unless you're making fry sauce.

Bulk by request is the least wasteful, even if unused product may go to waste. The second least wasteful method is self-serve bulk.

If you're going to do packets and want to prevent waste then the best thing is to provide them upon request and keep your employees well trained to not hand out excessive amounts. For example, believe it or not, but for most people, two ketchup packets is enough for a standard order of fries. For standard sized hot dogs (not foot long) a single packet, at most two, of any condiment (ketchup, mustard, relish) is about the equivalent of what you would get if the kitchen dressed the dog. That gives you an idea of what you really need, but that's not what people typically take.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom