keeping little ones cool

Dwarful

We are going to DisneyWorld for ten days in May. Its already been 90 degrees every day this week here in Illinois with sweltering humidity. We are traveling with kids aged 2,5,8,12 & 15. Its the littlest ones I am most concerned about keeping comfy. I will be bringing along lots of Sunblock, and I will be making sure everyone drinks plenty. We are also going to hit the parks EARLY!!! Character B'fasts at 8am:) But I am wondering what others with little ones do during the heat of the day? What else do you suggest to keep everyone having fun and not having those "meltdowns" that 2yr olds can be famous for! Thanks so much for any ideas you can provide!

Invero

One thing I can't stress enough... KEEP EVERYONE HYDRATED!!! I can't tell you how many times last summer I'd see someone collapse on the Monorail platform due to dehydration.

On the Monorail Platforms at the TTC & Epcot, we have water fountains (The one at the TTC/Epcot platform has the coldest and best free water on property!). All too many times I'd see a kid come up and start to drink, only to have the parent drag them away to wait for the train.

PLEASE folks... If your kid wants a drink of water... LET THEM! Sure, they might have to use the rest room every hour... but trust me... keeping them properly hydrated is more important.

I know bottled water at Disney is a bit pricey... but I've seen a lot of people bring regular water bottles with them... and then re-fill them at the water fountains. Also, if your room has a freezer, fill it with water, and set it in the freezer overnight. As the day goes by, the ice will melt, and you'll have nice cold ice water... (just beware, it will sweat)

As for keeping cool, and avoiding meltdowns... Try planning your day by alternating inside and outside attractions. Also, (and I'm not trying to plug merchandise) stop into one of the gift shops every now and again... a lot of them have really good A/C. In addition... some of the quick service eateries are well air conditioned... stop inside and sit for like 5-10 mins and discuss your plans for what attractions to see next. When watching parades, find a nice shady area if possible.

Maybe mid-day... take a break from the parks. Ride back to your Disney resort, and hop in the pool for a bit. And then head back to the parks when it cools down in the evening.

Hope that helps. And I'm sure others will have other great ideas :)

Upvote 0

vanryan

We went last year in April, and it was an "unseasonable" 90-96 everyday! Our kids were then 3 and 5 and I was 8 months pregnant. Some places we found to beat the heat were: Tom Sawyer Island, the Tiki Room, Character meals, Mickey's Toon Town Fair (my 3 year old took a nap in the stroller while my daughter waited in line to see Mickey. It was air conditioned and took about 45 minutes. I sat just in side the door with the stroller and loved every minute of it!) We also went back to the hotel for a swim in the afternoons, or to nap. Are you staying on-site? It really makes a big difference with little ones. We are headed back down, as a family of 5 now and I'll let you know any new ideas we come up with. In the Animal Kingdom we spent a lot of time in the Bone Yard. My kids could dig in there for hours and it was funny to watch kids get all exci6ted and into it only ro have their parents try to drag them out before they wanted to leave. Which makes me think of another cool tip- don't try to squeeze everything in. Let the kids be the guides. We never got to Asia in AK because my kids wanted to stay in the bone yard. We never went to MGM because they wanted to go back to the MK. I figured they would never miss something they didn't know about, but would miss if they couldn't go back to a favorite place.

Upvote 0

RogueHabit

Couldn't agree more. One our last trip our sond was 3 1/2 and he would drink at practically every fountain we passed, we always let him and had zero problems for thr whole two weeks.

Another good idea, though a little expensive, arte the water bottles with the electric fans on them. Kids love them and it's a great way for them to cool down if they get too hot.

A word of warning though, they do break a little too easy for boisterous kids, as we found out....

Upvote 0

njchris65

I was there in June 2 yrs ago and I didn't drink enough. I had to leave the park early and rest back at the room. I didn't drink much water that day. After that I carry a bottle of water EVERYWHERE and drink it regardless of being thirsty or not.

By the time you are thirsty, your body is already low on water. So drink often!!!

Upvote 0

TURKEY

Drink, drink, and drink. Instead of getting sodas at meal times, get water. If you just have to have a soda, get water too. Its usually free at all quick service restaurants. Don't eat the ice at the ODF carts. People have their hands in their all the time and its NOT SANITARY.

Try doing rides/shows that are indoors during the middle of the day if you can and the outdoor things early or late. Disney does a pretty good job of having all lines indoors. The TTA is a great way to cool off. Same with indoor slow rides even if it means riding IASW over and over. Mexico is a good spot to rest. GMR is too.

If you get too hot and don't feel good, stop what you are doing and go back and rest. It's a lot better to waste a few hundred dollars than ruin your life with heat exhaustion or stroke. I've seen 2 people colapse in Epcot from the heat. I've had heat related/dehydration problems.

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
Don't forget wide-brimmed hats! I forgot mine once, and it does make a difference! I had to buy a new one there (just an excuse to go shopping...right?)

I also found the little "folding" fans to be handy...especially the "round" paper ones you can fit in your purse.(I found mine at the China gift shop in Epcot)

Definitely plan a daily pool and "lie down" break back at the hotel! (the hotel restaurants are usually less crowded, too) I usually end up changing my clothes due to sweat at least twice a day anyway!

Upvote 0

MDJ

I'll second most of what everyone has said. The spray bottles with fans come in really handy. Buy them before you get there, though. Your local Wal-mart probably has them for a couple of dollars. In the Orlando parks, they will cost $10-$15. The idea about going back to your room for a dip in the afternoon is another good idea. Last time we were there, it was already mid 80's when we would leave the room in the morning. By about 1 p.m we were all ready to hit the pool.

Mark

Upvote 0

Dwarful

Original Poster
Thanks for the info. I will check on the fans at WalMart. Also, much to my husbands dismay I will be putting the "Little House On The Prairie" bonnet hat on the baby during the day....she doesnt mind it and it covers her whole face, ears, etc.! I was thinking of putting some drinkboxes in the backpack/diaper bag but didnt know if this is allowed? Also, are the water fountains cold???Nothing worse than warm water. Normally we go in Oct. or Nov. so I appreciate all the info.

Upvote 0

Invero

Originally posted by Dwarful
I was thinking of putting some drinkboxes in the backpack/diaper bag but didnt know if this is allowed? Also, are the water fountains cold???Nothing worse than warm water. Normally we go in Oct. or Nov. so I appreciate all the info.

Of course... bring all the drink boxes you desire :)

As for the water fountains... well... some are better than others. If in doubt, ask a cast member... they usually know which ones are colder than others :)

If you happen to be at the TTC... go to the Epcot platform... Everyone in Monorails swears that fountain has the best tasting and coldest water on property... but watch out... it has a tendancy to overspray sometimes... LOL :)

Upvote 0

TURKEY

Originally posted by Dwarful
Thanks for the info. I will check on the fans at WalMart. Also, much to my husbands dismay I will be putting the "Little House On The Prairie" bonnet hat on the baby during the day....she doesnt mind it and it covers her whole face, ears, etc.! I was thinking of putting some drinkboxes in the backpack/diaper bag but didnt know if this is allowed? Also, are the water fountains cold???Nothing worse than warm water. Normally we go in Oct. or Nov. so I appreciate all the info.

You can stop in the quick service restaurants and get free water if you want too.

Upvote 0

RogueHabit

An interesting point you raise. I have noticed that most rental child seats, from the likes of Alamo or Dollar for example, are made of plastic, not sure if this is an American thing or not.

In the UK they have cloth covers, which don't absorb too much heat.

Take a small bed sheet to put over the childs seat if you have one as we didn't realise on our first night of our first trip with children and our son got a very nasty burn on his thigh.:(

Upvote 0

Dwarful

Original Poster
OUCH! No we are taking our own car seat as we will have to have it n the airplane anyway for the 2 yr old. Hers is the nice kind with the cloth plush cover. Must be a rental thing. I guess it would be hard to keep them clean and nice looking if they were cloth. But thats a good poing I didnt think about.

Upvote 0

mej

I've never had a problem bringing drinks etc into the parks. I have travelled to WDW quite a few times with my kids and the CMs are great about filling up water bottles with ice etc - we bring wide necked ones to help with this. Be careful of tender feet - the sunshade on some buggies can sometimes miss out shading little toes - I saw a baby on our last visit with the most awful sun burn on his feet.

Upvote 0

hadleybarth

There are many good tips here already. Staying hydrated is the most important. We always take in juice boxes as well as snacks which has never been a problem. Fill water bottles constantly. And, pack grapes or otehr high water content snacks.

We always skip character breakfasts and instead have a long character lunch each day (sitting in airconditioning during that hot, busy time is really worth somehting).

Also, save airconditioned indoor attractions like Country Bear Jamboree, the Tiki Room, Small Worldd, Muppet Vision 4-D, Little Mermaid Show, etc. for the afternoon when the heat is at its worst. The TTA at MK has a refreshing cool breeze and never has a line.

Finay, wear hats and reapply sunsreen everytime you are in line. It doesn't hurt to overdo it and can be terrible if you end up under doing it.

Upvote 0

disneydreamer95

Hi,
we go to wdw in Aug and we always take the washclothes from the room in a plastic bag with us. We get them wet in the water fountains and put them behind the necks of the kids. Plus we never drink soda! It cause dehydration. We always take water or powerade. Also you can go to the childcare centers to cool off with the kids, AK has the best one. It has a playroom with videos and kid toys.
Have fun!

Upvote 0

Dwarful

Original Poster
WOW! Thanks for all the great ideas. I am making a list and printing it off so I dont forget anything! I never thought about the washcloths in a baggie or going to the childcare centers either! I want this trip to be fun and we never go in may so I dont want to come home with a bunch of sunburned or sick kids from dehydration! Thanks again! I will keep checking for updates or additional remarks before we go May 25th! thanks again

Upvote 0

Shannon_Yensid

Like everyone said, drink drink drink, heading back to the hotel at around one to take a "cool down nap" or a swim are good ideas too...also, avoid Animal Kingdom, that's a very warm place, with a lot of stuff outside, and besides, animals don't like the heat either, espically the furry ones...

best of luck to you and your family on staying cool

~~Shannon

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom