Just wondering about living seas diving

MouseMadness

Original Poster
We're planning a trip for next January/February, and my brother in law had done the diving at Living Seas. I was wondering if, being a total non-fan of water in general, is it worth going and getting my certification for that specifically? While I am not crazy about water (not scared, just not my favorite thing) what he'd said about this was just enough to convince me I should try it. Any thoughts? Thanks!:D

Mr. Toad

Well, I've been considering getting certified for SCUBA but I've had trouble finding someone to do it with me (my wife isn't that interested). One of the reasons was to dive The Living Seas. Then I heard about the new program at TLS - EPCOT Seas Aqua Tour. You do not need SCUBA certification to do this dive apparently. I am seriously considering doing it this June while we are there.

You might want to check it out.

Here is a link with some info on it:

EPCOT Seas Aqua Tour

I've read a little about the Living Seas Aqua Tour that does not require certification...but have gotten no details...does anyone know if it's actual scuba equipment that is used?...length of tour?...age limit? It sounds wonderful. I have heard raves about the actual scuba dive...experienced divers consider it a top notch dive.

MouseMadness

Original Poster
Originally posted by Mr. Toad
Well, I've been considering getting certified for SCUBA but I've had trouble finding someone to do it with me (my wife isn't that interested). One of the reasons was to dive The Living Seas. Then I heard about the new program at TLS - EPCOT Seas Aqua Tour. You do not need SCUBA certification to do this dive apparently. I am seriously considering doing it this June while we are there.

You might want to check it out.

Here is a link with some info on it:

EPCOT Seas Aqua Tour

Thanks!! I'm going to look into it... I'm definitely not brave enough to dive in the ocean (heck, I won't even wade!) but this seems like a way to feel adventurous without actually being so.

Mr. Toad

I love the ocean - that's why I live near it :). But I really don't want to do SCUBA by myself. One of my friends at work is interested but we have to get our schedules in sync so we can take the lessons.

If I do try this out in June I will put it in my trip report.

MouseMadness

Original Poster
Originally posted by Mr. Toad
I love the ocean - that's why I live near it :). But I really don't want to do SCUBA by myself. One of my friends at work is interested but we have to get our schedules in sync so we can take the lessons.

If I do try this out in June I will put it in my trip report.

Excellent!! I have a guinea pig!! I can't wait to hear... I love the ocean as well, but from a distance. I stick my toes in, but that's about it. I'm looking forward to living seas, a nice, controlled environment.

Mr. Toad

I knew this thread was buried around here somewhere.

OK, my wife and I are signed up for the Aqua Seas tour on June 7 so for any interested parties I will let you know how it is.

Mr. Toad

Originally posted by MicBat
If you're not a fan of the water, I suggest you save your money and spend it on something you will enjoy.

Since it seems to be like snorkeling with SCUBA gear (or SNUBA as one of my SCUBA diving friends calls it) I would have to agree with you. My wife was hesitant to sign up because she knows there are sharks in tank. But the idea that she might get to see the sea turtles won her over.

When I called to book the tour the castmember said I could tell my wife that the sharks are vegetarians but he couldn't really guarantee that to be true.

Originally posted by MicBat
My thread is ALIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!!!

Can't wait to hear!!
Yes! It lives!!!

I will gladly be your guinea pig - I love the ocean. I will do it for the sake of science (Theme Park Studies 201).

If I can get the laptop to dial in I will try to post on Saturday (6/7) or Sunday. Otherwise, it will have to wait until I get back on Saturday (6/14).

Mr. Toad

OK, my wife and I survived the Aqua Seas Tour today. It was the best experience I have ever had at WDW and possibly anywhere. I absolutely loved it as did my wife who had major reservations about going (mostly because of the sharks). For the full information you can see my trip report (Day 5 of the trip) at the following location:

Mr. Toad's Trip Report

VacationMan

MY Daughter and I did the Aqua Tour

Hi All. My Daughter and I did the Living Seas Aqua Tour in February 2003. We loved it. Neither one of us are "really good" swimmers.... so the Aqua Tour was all we could do (I.E. - > Have never considered a Diving cert).

The tour is "Scuba Assist". I.E.-> You get a "Shorty" wet suit, a diving vest (With Floats so you only swim at the top), a Scuba tank, regulator, fins, and Facemask. You get a tour through the living seas and behind the scenes, a Picture while you are standing in the tank about to go in, and about 30 Mins of swim time, and a t-Shirt.

Our Family who was down with us, took video of us through the glass (Everyone could see us looking into the tank, and we could see them as well).

The Disney guide was nice enough to allow our family upstairs to the "Divers Clubhouse" to wait for us (Couches, salt water mini-tanks with fish, free pop, etc.) A Very nice place to rest.

The changing rooms are locker-rooms with PRIVATE showers/Changing areas, soap, towels, etc. There is a locker for your stuff (the Disney CM/Tour Guide hold the keys while you swim). Everyone was very nice backstage, and it was a Fantastic event.... My 11 Year Old Daughter Loved it (I - as well), the tour was about 2 hours.

We made reservations at the Coral Reef before we went down, and had dinner at the restaurant (Wearing our "Aqua Tour Shirts" of course). We were able to snorkel over and look into the Restaurant while we were in the tank. The Host and server picked up on the shirts.....a special touch for my daughter.

Overall a GREAT Deal for the Money... The experience, and the ability to say "I Swam in that tank", as well as the views of the sea life was all well worth the investiment.

Just my food for Thought!

TIGGER-FAN

My wife and I did the Dive Quest tour January 2003. We had so much fun, we are signed up to do it again on November 28th. At one point of the dive, I was standing at the bottom of the tank and had a porkfish that would not leave me alone. He kept pecking at me as if to say, hey where's the food. Don't worry about the sharks either, they are non-aggresive to humans and are fed very well. We even got to go up inside the dive bell at the bottom. They pump fresh air into the bell so you can take out your regulator and talk to each other. Whatever you decide to do, have fun!

PhotoDave219

Re: MY Daughter and I did the Aqua Tour

Originally posted by VacationMan

Overall a GREAT Deal for the Money... The experience, and the ability to say "I Swam in that tank", as well as the views of the sea life was all well worth the investiment.

Okay, so how much?

Or is it one of these things "If you need to ask how much it costs, you cant afford it"?

TIGGER-FAN

The Aqua Seas Tour is $100.00 and the Dive Quest Tour is $140.00. To me this is money well spent considering everything is taken care of. All equipment provided (all set up and waiting for you, plus they take care of the clean up at the end). Showers, towels, soap, and shampoo are provided. You get a behind the scenes tour before the dive. With Dive Quest you get a T-shirt, a certificate, and have the opportunity to purchase a video tape of the dive. Also it would take several open water dives to encounter the variety of sea life you get to see on this one dive.

VacationMan

Yup... I thought it was a VERY good deal for the experience, bragging rights, especially when you consider what other "excursions" beyond disney cost in the orlando area.

MJL

Do you seriously swim with Sharks in the tank? This diving tour really interests me, especially since you dont need a diving cert. But HOW am I supposed to convince my girlfriend to swim among sharks???:veryconfu , Im not even sure I am totally OK with this, as much as I WOULD love to swim among other big fish with smaller teeth.

Are these big sharks? My curiosity is killing me ...

VacationMan

The Sharks are specially fed by Pole by Disney Personel. They are in the tank, but are completely not interested. I doubt if their species are even known to bite Man. Disney would never risk the embaresement, guests, or.... lawsuits, at puttin people into a tank with sharks that could even remotely bite anyone. BTW: My Daughter who was 11 at the time was my "snorkeling partner". Keep in mind that the dive vests you have include built in floats that keep you at the surface, even though you have are in a dive suite, vest, tanks/resp, facemask & flippers.

It was a very cool experience, fun, your get a backstage tour and a T-shirt exclusive to persons taking the "Tour"

Take care.

Bill

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom