Just seen the opening Night of Mary Poppins stage show

barnum42

Original Poster
Well, I’m just back from the “Gala Premiere Night” at the Bristol Hippodrome of Mary Poppins the stage musical. Whilst there was not much “Gala” about the theatre – just a red carpet and a few cameramen out the front, the show itself proved very popular with the audience.

Those going expecting a new bit of cutting edge theatre will be disappointed. Those wanting to see a traditional musical theatre production based on the movie will love it.

The show does nothing new in terms of theatrical presentation, but it does a grand job of telling the story and getting the audience immersed in it.

It’s been a long time since I saw the movie, so I can’t make detailed comparisons of what was changed for the stage, but they did not go into Bert’s drawings and interact with a lot of cartoon animals.

The main house set slides forward from the rear of the stage with the roof descending from the fly tower. For scenes in the attic, the main house slides back, the roof ascends and the attic set contained within the roof descends to stage level.

All the other sets are backcloths, open stage or multiple trucks.

All around the cast were great, and even if the two kids were not note perfect they managed to not get on my nerves and the little lad did an especially good job with his comedy lines, having been given the best dialogue between the two kids.

The parents are spot on, with Mr Banks giving the right performance that really makes you empathise with him.

Mary and Bert do what’s expected of them with Mary having a very nice singing voice. Bert gets to have a more accurate accent than his movie counterpart, with Mary giving what the audience want and not doing anything to radically “make the part her own”.

The support cast are also strong with the two servants, the evil nanny, the park keeper, and the oldest lady in the world and the bird lady all making the full opportunity of their roles.

At the end the audience gave it a standing ovation after Mary made her exit by flying across the stage then over the stalls and up to the gods.

If anyone has any questions about the show, best ask now whilst it’s still fresh in my mind.

cherrynegra

Thanks for the review Barnum!! I was quite green with envy when you told me you were going to see the show. Now we Americans will have to wait till God knows when to see the show. :wave:

barnum42

Original Poster
cherrynegra said:
Thanks for the review Barnum!! I was quite green with envy when you told me you were going to see the show. Now we Americans will have to wait till God knows when to see the show. :wave:
No worries.

Is your new avatar of the big girlie drink you were on about? :lol:

cherrynegra

barnum42 said:
No worries.

Is your new avatar of the big girlie drink you were on about? :lol:

:lol: Nope! I just found a picture of an obnoxius looking dessert to go with my new title. Midori Sours is my poisin. Althought the Malibu Macau at the Poly is a close second.

barnum42

Original Poster
imagineer99 said:
Barnum, there must be new music written for the show, right?

How was that?
You could not see the joins between new songs, expanded songs and the originals. Though it's the big original ones that make the big impressions.

Chim-chim-cheree is expanded throughout the show with Bert using the tune to provide bits of narration throughout the show.

The evil nanny makes the most of her song about the vile medicine she uses in place of a spoonfull of sugar.

imagineer99

barnum42 said:
You could not see the joins between new songs, expanded songs and the originals. Though it's the big original ones that make the big impressions.

Chim-chim-cheree is expanded throughout the show with Bet using to the tune to provide bits of narration throughout the show.

The evil nanny makes the most of her song about the vile medicine she uses in place of a spoonfull of sugar.

That kinda disappoints me. It seems like no new musicals anymore thrive on ORGINAL SONGS.

I'm getting tired of compilation musicals (Movin Out, Mama Mia, All Shook Up).

Give me NEW music anyday.

barnum42

Original Poster
imagineer99 said:
That kinda disappoints me. It seems like no new musicals anymore thrive on ORGINAL SONGS.

I'm getting tired of compilation musicals (Movin Out, Mama Mia, All Shook Up).

Give me NEW music anyday.
I think the first song after the intro is new - concerning the house. Mrs Banks has a nice ballad to expand her character, there is a new number in a nightmare scene where giant versions of the childrens toys come alive and take them to court because the children had been throwing them at the wall and the wicked Nanny with her Brimstone and Treakle number song.

The old songs appear in different locations than the film, sometimes sung by different characters and with different arrangements.

DisneyPhD

Interesting, thanks for the review. Little PhD LOVES Mary Popins movie. We have it on DVD and I think I have seen it 20 times in the past 5 months. I would know when anything was different from the movie, I know it line for line by now. :lol:

Little PhD dances around the house is anything on her head (often it is the rubber ring they give you at the hospital to sit on after you give birth) and socks on her hands. She says she is the "sholder girl" Took me a little bit to figure that one out. Mrs. Banks when she sings "Sholder to sholder into the brink" :p

barnum42

Original Poster
Weekend news from the Bristol Hippodrome box office - all seats are sold for the remaining four weeks of the run.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom