Just returned, a few things of note

Just got back last night and wanted to report a few things. If any have already been reported, I apologize.

We stayed at Port Orleans Riverside for our first time since the room rehabs and I have to give them a huge thumbs up especially for the work on the bathroom/sink area. The tile floor looks excellent. Sorry no photos, I forgot to take one before we took over the joint.

We did Soarin’ and while I liked it, it did not live up to the hype. I did not like that you could see the edges of the screen (I sat third seat in from the right) and that you could see the feet of the people above you. I did find it entertaining but I would not stand in a super long line for it.

We did Turtle Talk with Crush and it surpassed our expectations. It was extremely funny and I highly recommend it. It was amazing to be honest. :)

Cinderellabration nowhere near lives up to the Cinderella Surprise Celebration. I found it boring and even though my 4 year old daughter seemed to like it, she was not near as gung-ho over it as with the previous show.

We ate the Plaza Restaurant for the first and second time for lunch on this trip. I appreciate all those that recommend it. It is not much more than one of the counter service places with better food.

One of the best kept secrets must be the Columbia Harbor House’s second floor. We went there to eat for a quick bite for dinner on our first day and it was packed downstairs. People were sitting on the floor. We went upstairs and there were maybe 10 tables being used. People saw us walk up with our trays and none followed, not sure why.

The Main Street train station is well under rehab. I am not sure if on the right hand side if facing from Main Street has a temporary framework or if they coat it somehow later. I have attached a picture.

33067035-L.jpg

The car we were in on Dumbo already was pretty beat up considering it only re-opened in the spring. I took a few photos to show, I was surprised about it.

33066496-L.jpg

33066497-L.jpg

Aladdin’s Magic Carpets on the other hand was in terrible shape. We rode it two times and both cars were really beat up. The second one was number 15, I believe the other was 7 but I am not sure on that one. Again, I have attached photos.

33066499-L.jpg

33066501-L.jpg

33066493-L.jpg

We did the COP and one of the scenes (can’t remember which one) one of the rooms did not light up when it was suppose to and the speaker was weak.

In SpectroMagic the float with the crocodile spinning the hippo has changed. The hippo is now a costumed character and the crocodile is spinning a disco ball. Looks really dumb…

We did the Swiss Family Robinson Tree house for the first time in about a decade. Some of the railings were losing their fake wood covering and you could see the metal rail underneath. No photo sorry.

It’s a Small World was in rehab when we were there last and we got to do it again on this trip. It looks excellent. Very bright and shiny, very nice job done on it. One of the balloons in the final scene was not working though.

We ate at the new Cinderella lunch in the castle. The Major Domo’s Favorite Pie is awesome but you will be stuffed beyond belief for the remainder of the day.

I am pretty sure that is all I had thought to update. More may come later if I remember something.

Tigger1988

Yes I also noticed that it was hard to hear in COP I found myself leaning foward a bit to hear the talking over the background music. Odd but I still loved it! I also saw lots of bad show during my trip..its sad.

MKCustodial

Considering th traffic Dumbo gets daily, and the age of its "frequent flyers", I'm not surprised there are a few marks here and there. But the kind of thing you described about the treehouse is a bit sad. I mean, sure, the treehouse isn't the most sought-after attraction in the World, but try to see yourself as a first-time Guest. Ok, nowadays, knowing things, I guess we sorta look for the bad stuff. But I really can't remember seeing chipped paint or very obvious stuff like metal railings where "wood" was supposed to be on my first time, in 1990. Everything was incredible, magical, and that's why I fell in love with the place.

Not really a complaint, just sort of reminiscing... ;)

Connor002

thats too bad about Dumbo

i don't really blame them, their not the ones that damage it, but it is one of thoes real "disney" attraction, and should be kept in the best conditoion possible

no complaints, just opinions ;)

mrtoad

Original Poster
Tigger1988 said:
Yes I also noticed that it was hard to hear in COP I found myself leaning foward a bit to hear the talking over the background music. Odd but I still loved it! I also saw lots of bad show during my trip..its sad.

But I did see a lot of great show too, so I hope it did not come off just as griping. :)

mrtoad

Original Poster
MKCustodial said:
Considering th traffic Dumbo gets daily, and the age of its "frequent flyers", I'm not surprised there are a few marks here and there. But the kind of thing you described about the treehouse is a bit sad. I mean, sure, the treehouse isn't the most sought-after attraction in the World, but try to see yourself as a first-time Guest. Ok, nowadays, knowing things, I guess we sorta look for the bad stuff. But I really can't remember seeing chipped paint or very obvious stuff like metal railings where "wood" was supposed to be on my first time, in 1990. Everything was incredible, magical, and that's why I fell in love with the place.

Not really a complaint, just sort of reminiscing... ;)

The treehouse really should be removed. The wait sign said 00 minutes. Joking, I asked the CM at the turnstile when was the last time it said anything different. He came right back with, it never changes, not in years...

The footprint is not as small as other make it out to be. There is the water way underneath that is not park of the Jungle Cruise.

The railing where the wood look was gone looked like it was actually torn off. It was a think covering, not like paint fading. It must have taken some time for that to happen and it probably just never gets any attention.

mrtoad

Original Poster
CAPTAIN HOOK said:
Thanks for the updates - shame about Dumbo !

I agree that it is most likely due to the fact that younger kids are in it and that the sun is beating down on it, but it should be kept up. Otherwise, why do the rehab to let it get that way in a few months...

mrtoad

Original Poster
Connor002 said:
thats too bad about Dumbo

i don't really blame them, their not the ones that damage it, but it is one of thoes real "disney" attraction, and should be kept in the best conditoion possible

no complaints, just opinions ;)

Totally agree...

MKCustodial

mrtoad said:
The treehouse really should be removed.

I wouldn't go as far as wishing it to be gone. Have you ever watched the fireworks from up there? Gorgeous! That's a tip I got from other Custodials during my CM time.
Now, it probably doesn't get much attention because kids nowadays haven't heard of the Swiss Family Robinson. So instead of removing it, just follow Disneyland and retheme it after Tarzan. Add a few sound bits here and there from the characters (like Tantor or Terk calling for Tarzan from the ground) and I'm sure the kids would be back, dragging their families along.

mrtoad

Original Poster
MKCustodial said:
I wouldn't go as far as wishing it to be gone. Have you ever watched the fireworks from up there? Gorgeous! That's a tip I got from other Custodials during my CM time.
Now, it probably doesn't get much attention because kids nowadays haven't heard of the Swiss Family Robinson. So instead of removing it, just follow Disneyland and retheme it after Tarzan. Add a few sound bits here and there from the characters (like Tantor or Terk calling for Tarzan from the ground) and I'm sure the kids would be back, dragging their families along.

You are probably right that kids would like it, I just think something else would draw more attention. I wish the carpets were gone more though. They ruined the open feel of Adventureland. It use to bee very nice in that area now it is very hectic. Though my daughter loves the ride, I wish it were at least moved to the side of a path, not in the middle...

MKCustodial

mrtoad said:
I wish the carpets were gone more though. They ruined the open feel of Adventureland. It use to bee very nice in that area now it is very hectic. Though my daughter loves the ride, I wish it were at least moved to the side of a path, not in the middle...

Agreed on all counts. I haven't been to WDW since the carpets were installed, but from what I've seen through WDW Virtual Visit they totally ruined Adventureland. I mean, that, plus the tsunami of merchandise that started invading the area (it was already happening when I was there in December 99), kinda detracted from the colonized jungle/adventure feel the place had. Not to mention its openness was a breath of fresh air compared to Tomorrowland, Fantasyland and Toontown.

mrtoad

Original Poster
MKCustodial said:
Agreed on all counts. I haven't been to WDW since the carpets were installed, but from what I've seen through WDW Virtual Visit they totally ruined Adventureland. I mean, that, plus the tsunami of merchandise that started invading the area (it was already happening when I was there in December 99), kinda detracted from the colonized jungle/adventure feel the place had. Not to mention its openness was a breath of fresh air compared to Tomorrowland, Fantasyland and Toontown.

I actually thought some of the merchandise in the area was better than most as it was themed. Now most shops carry the same stuff. Years ago you could go into say Frontierland and find a Mickey shirt with him dressing the part. Now all shirts are pretty much sold everywhere.

The open feel is totally gone from the area now and I really ruined the area. the ride to me is not a problem. It is a kids ride and gives an oportunity for those wanting to do Dumbo and can't because of the line. It also lets a family ride together as it has a front and back seat unlike Dumbo. The placement is really the only problem...

wdwishes2005

mrtoad said:
We ate the Plaza Restaurant for the first and second time for lunch on this trip. I appreciate all those that recommend it.

no problem i am gald you like it as much as i do. thanx for saying thanx.

pat in the hat

Glad to hear about IASW . . . can't wait to see it! The rest just makes me so sad! I can understand the tremendous wear on the rides/attractions and the demands physically and financially to maintain them, but if I want to see chipped paint like that shown in your Dumbo photos, I'll just go to a local festival/amusement park! :cry:

Here's hoping that those items are tended to soon!

lborne

MKCustodial said:

Great idea. I was thinking a bit different - that they just need to do a remake of SFR.

Welsh Tink

Having just read Mr Toad's report, I decided to join the message boards so that I could have a say. Living the other side of the pond, we've still been lucky enough to visit Disney regularly since 1986. :) Back in 2001, I went on a Hidden Treasures backstage tour around Epcot.Our guide Jim, who was brilliant, told us that everything in Disney has to be perfect, as some people will only be able to visit once in their lives, and Disney wants them to leave with a memory of everything being immaculate. Last February we visited for a week and noticed that the upkeep of the parks, toilets,etc. had greatly deteriorated.:( After seeing Mr Toad's pictures, it is obvious that it is not just us being picky. It is just a shame that people are not seeing Disney at its best at the moment.

jackiepetrillo

Always something new

Thanks for the report. Sounds like it was a great trip. We are so excited we are going back right after Thanksgiving. Never been there for the Christmas Dec's and all. Can't wait and I will report on everything.
Wow on the overhauling entrance. Wonder when that will be finished.
Could you tell me what Crush and Turtle Talk is all about. I have never heard of it or perhaps it is something for younger children. We are taking our 10 yr old grandaughter.
Thanks in advance :wave:

mrtoad

Original Poster
jackiepetrillo said:
Thanks for the report. Sounds like it was a great trip. We are so excited we are going back right after Thanksgiving. Never been there for the Christmas Dec's and all. Can't wait and I will report on everything.
Wow on the overhauling entrance. Wonder when that will be finished.
Could you tell me what Crush and Turtle Talk is all about. I have never heard of it or perhaps it is something for younger children. We are taking our 10 yr old grandaughter.
Thanks in advance :wave:

Just to start the Living Seas is down for rehab (that is where Crush is located). It went down the day we left. I am not sure of the re-open date but I though October so you are probably OK but you might want to post to ask that question.

Anyway, Turtle Talk with Crush is an interactive experience with a 3D projection of Crush. Basically you are in a small theatre and he is in a tank. It acutally talks and interacts with the audience. He will say somthing like anyone have a question. He will say, you the little one in the front row with the blue t-shirt. The cast member in the audience will go to the person in the blue shirt and hold a microphone. Crush will say what is your name and the kid will respond say, Michael. Crush will say hi Michael, what is your question and so on. It is unbelievable and is definitly for small kids (and big). No worries about it at all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom