Just registered for 2011 Marathons!!!

WishIwasThere

Original Poster
Yeah...Just registered myself for the WDW 1/2 marathon and the wife for the Goofy challange. Now I have to get the hotel reserved and start looking at ADR's in a few months and then the plane tickets.

Always nice to know when your next Disney fix is going to happen. :sohappy:

Phonedave

Yeah...Just registered myself for the WDW 1/2 marathon and the wife for the Goofy challange. Now I have to get the hotel reserved and start looking at ADR's in a few months and then the plane tickets.

Yeah, I guess I should try and book a place to stay and a way to get there as well.

Lazy, lazy, lazy me.

-dave

DisneyRunner

I did the Princess half in 2009 with my sister. We had great weather. This years weather for the full was not favorable. I've wondered if I would be able to do the Goofy. To me it boils down to having the two plus hours, depending on the race, to just go and run. Ideally, I'd like to do another race at Disney, with my husband. I agree with you on knowing when the next visit is. And good luck with those ADRs in August. I booked ADRs at 180 days, a few weeks ago. It went well, when compared to 90 days.

Tinkrbell

I'm deciding if I want to sign up for the 5k in October during the food & wine half marathon weekend. It's halloween themed thru MK. I've never done a marathon or any kind of race, so I think it would be a good start.

dreamfinder

Congrats. Crossing my fingers the DW agrees to let me go Goofy again in 2012. Nothing else quite like it.

WishIwasThere

Original Poster
Congrats. Crossing my fingers the DW agrees to let me go Goofy again in 2012. Nothing else quite like it.

Except knowing that you just paid Disney over $450 for the two of us to run through the parks...can't even stay for a ride on something.

Looking forward to my first half marathon. Hopefully the weather for 2011 will be a little warmer than this years race.

dreamfinder

Except knowing that you just paid Disney over $450 for the two of us to run through the parks...can't even stay for a ride on something.

Looking forward to my first half marathon. Hopefully the weather for 2011 will be a little warmer than this years race.

I would imagine it would be. And for your sake, and all the other registered runners I hope it is. Was colder and worse conditions for the races this year, than any race I have run up in good old New England. (Even for Turkey Trots and XMas Races)

WishIwasThere

Original Poster
I would imagine it would be. And for your sake, and all the other registered runners I hope it is. Was colder and worse conditions for the races this year, than any race I have run up in good old New England. (Even for Turkey Trots and XMas Races)

I know what you mean. I did a 4 miler in Portland, Maine on Thanksgiving and it was almost 40 deg F, kind of nice. Did a 5 K in CT on Christmas day and it was about 35 deg, so not too bad.

The nice thing is that here in New England, we already have cold weather running gear so if it is expected to be cold, better believe I'm packing my Under Armour cold gear. I read stories about this year's marathon that the day before the race people were scrambling around places like Nike stores looking for cold weather gear...and little of it to be found in the middle of Florida.

The coldest I like to run is 20 deg F. The last time I did that, and ran about 8 miles, I had loads of frost all over my micro fleece and actually had little frost icicles hanging from my sleeves. Last winter my DW ran almost 20 miles in single digit temps. She came back shivering like crazy, took her temp and it was about 94-95 deg. Took her all day to warm up, drinking tons of hot tea.

Tar Heel

We just registered for the half marathon a few days ago. It will be the first one I've ever done so I'm hoping it's not too cold.

dreamfinder

The nice thing is that here in New England, we already have cold weather running gear so if it is expected to be cold, better believe I'm packing my Under Armour cold gear.

And that is what drove us nuts. When we packed and flew down it was supposed to be mid to upper 50s the whole week. So we packed like that. And then it hit 50 once. We kept looking at ourselves thinking we had that coat on the day before we left, my cold running gear was sitting on the floor in my gym bag, etc.

I read stories about this year's marathon that the day before the race people were scrambling around places like Nike stores looking for cold weather gear...and little of it to be found in the middle of Florida.

It was nuts. Disney was selling stretchy gloves for 8 bucks in their store at the expo. You can get em 3 for a dollar at WalMart. Some of the other vendors had run to Home Depot and grabbed their multi packs of gloves (5 for like 6 bucks) and were selling em for 3 bucks each. Crazy seeing what people were buying to stay warm down there.

MCC1

We went out to the Walgreens outside downtown Disney and they had handwarmers to put inside your gloves, but they were cleaned out by the time we heard about them...bought the disposable Tyvek jacket at the expo for $10 figuring I'd ditch a few miles in but ran in it to the end even though I was layered under and had tights on. 4th time doing the marathon since 2000, and this was the the nastiest with the rain/sleet for the 1/2 & the cold for the full...spectating was no fun either. (42 minutes off my PR)

pax_65

Disney races are great. When I ran the half, I really got a kick out of seeing the characters cheering us on. Then, down the road a bit were the villains... Captain Hook and friends holding up signs that said, "QUIT! You can't do it!"

Running through the parks is just... well... MAGICAL.

Good luck!

WishIwasThere

Original Poster
Just got my official "In Training for 2011 Half Marathon" for me and the Marathon and a 1/2 for the wife. Mine has Donald and hers has Goofy and they look great. Gets me excited just thinking about January.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom