Just my thoughts on the may 5th announcement

AEfx

Wow. Can you feel the love?

When you start calling people idiots and insulting them for hoping for the best at WDW, perhaps it's time to take a break from the boards for awhile.

AEfx

actor072002 said:
They have already cleared the land to the North west of wide world of sports. They are most likely going to so do something with it. The area seems too small for another park.

I'm guessing you are talking about the area where this is going in...

Hess Sports Fields North (2005) -- The Hess Sports Fields addition will be the first major venue expansion since Disney's Wide World of Sports Complex opened in March 1997. The Hess Sports Fields addition will include 20 acres and will offer competition space for four full-size football/soccer playing fields and four baseball-softball diamonds.

Tom

Beta Return
HEY! I have this idea I've been toying with for a while, see if it would work:

Step 1: Stop trying to be prophets
Step 2: Stop being hateful and negative
Step 3: Wait until May 5 and see what they're REALLY going to say

Just an idea - I know it would never work though ;)

speck76

edwardtc said:
HEY! I have this idea I've been toying with for a while, see if it would work:

Step 1: Stop trying to be prophets
Step 2: Stop being hateful and negative
Step 3: Wait until May 5 and see what they're REALLY going to say

Just an idea - I know it would never work though ;)

That would never happen....

The biggest problem is that people get into their mind that huge announcements are going to be made, and then, when no announcement it made, they get all upset, and start bashingthe company, Eisner, and whoever else they feel is at fault....even though the only fault is their own, for getting their hopes up too high.

The probalem is that they fail to see the potential implications of making such an announcement at the begining of a major marketing campaign......they only see their POV, not that of the company, or of the average guest.

Does this mean that nothing will be built for the next 2 or 3 years.....no....not at all.

When WDW held the 25th anniversary celebration in 1996/97, the attendance levels reached were the highest they had ever been.....and they have not been higher since. The funniest thing about this is that the only new "attractions" added during the celebration were the Castle Cake and Wide World of Sports. Test Track would have opened during the celebration.....but we all know the story there.

Now, in the 2 years prior to the Celebration, WDW had made some major capital investments, opening Sunset Blvd and ToT, and the new Tomorrowland, both of which were MAJOR undertakings. I believe this is similar to how they have currently added SGE, Philharmagic, Wishes, MS, Soarin, Cinderellabration, LMA, and soon EE.

In the 2 years after the celebration, WDW went on a building spree.....opening Fantasmic, RnRC, Buzz, Pooh, Test track (finally) DAK.....but all of these projects were announced well before (DAK) or well after the start of the celebration.

The announcement that will be made on 5/5 will most likely be nothing more than...."Look what we are opening today", followed by "Here is the opening date for EE", and if we are lucky, "The Pooh play area will open in November at MK, and [some minor show themed to the Power Rangers] will open in October at MGM".

Any big project, like the E-ticket for MK, or any MAJOR expansion for DAK, would, IMO, not be announced until after Summer '06, even though you could probably see some dirty being turned well before that.

Thrawn said:
"We are having this wonderful celebration, everyone should come to WDW and see it! But we are building new rides so in 3 years everything will be better than it is during the celebration!"

Most people (READ: NOT DISNEY FANATICS) will say, "wow, lets just wait and go in three years then."

They will mention Everest, and talk about the other things officially opening that day (Lights, Motors, Action and Soarin'). But nothing else. If they want more, they'll just have another event to announce it. Quote me on this.

By your logic no one will ever go to WDW if they are waiting for something new to be built because by the time it is built something new will be announced which will make WDW bigger and better and then just wait another three years ect. Wouldn't that perdicament hold true no matter when they announce new projects anyway by your reasoning?

And I'm sure some people are already waiting to plan trips until everest opens, so what's the difference.

What better time to make announcements. It just generates continual excitement IMHO.

At the very least they will mention Everest, finding nemo subs and Monsters Inc ride in DL, and probally indy, and rehabs for pirates and spaceship earth if not more. It would make sense to mention things already being worked on, but any major projects we don't already know about, unlikely.

TP2000

In California, they are announcing two new rides for Disneyland on May 5th; the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage in Tomorrowland and the new Monsters Inc. ride for DCA's Hollywood Backlot section. Monsters Inc. opens in '06 and the submarines open in '07.

Monsters Inc. is considered a D Ticket and the new Submarine Voyage with Finding Nemo is considered an E Ticket. So obviously there's some money flowing after the 50th and WDW could be getting new E or D Tickets too.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
AEfx said:
Wow. Can you feel the love?

When you start calling people idiots and insulting them for hoping for the best at WDW, perhaps it's time to take a break from the boards for awhile.

AEfx

When you try to become the politicially correct police and start telling people what to do, its time to re-examine your priorities in life. Especially when you don't know what you are talking about.

Hoping for the best and starting nonsensical rumors that "announcements are going to happen on May 5th" are two different things.

When I was referring to idiots, I wasn't talking about the OP of this thread. I was talking about idiots such as the people who run screamscape, though they are important in their own delusions of grandeur, have no real idea of what is going on inside TWDC. Thus, unnecessary hype is created and everyone that counts on announcements will all be upset when nothing happens.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
speck76 said:
That would never happen....

The biggest problem is that people get into their mind that huge announcements are going to be made, and then, when no announcement it made, they get all upset, and start bashingthe company, Eisner, and whoever else they feel is at fault....even though the only fault is their own, for getting their hopes up too high.

The probalem is that they fail to see the potential implications of making such an announcement at the begining of a major marketing campaign......they only see their POV, not that of the company, or of the average guest.

Does this mean that nothing will be built for the next 2 or 3 years.....no....not at all.

When WDW held the 25th anniversary celebration in 1996/97, the attendance levels reached were the highest they had ever been.....and they have not been higher since. The funniest thing about this is that the only new "attractions" added during the celebration were the Castle Cake and Wide World of Sports. Test Track would have opened during the celebration.....but we all know the story there.

Now, in the 2 years prior to the Celebration, WDW had made some major capital investments, opening Sunset Blvd and ToT, and the new Tomorrowland, both of which were MAJOR undertakings. I believe this is similar to how they have currently added SGE, Philharmagic, Wishes, MS, Soarin, Cinderellabration, LMA, and soon EE.

In the 2 years after the celebration, WDW went on a building spree.....opening Fantasmic, RnRC, Buzz, Pooh, Test track (finally) DAK.....but all of these projects were announced well before (DAK) or well after the start of the celebration.

The announcement that will be made on 5/5 will most likely be nothing more than...."Look what we are opening today", followed by "Here is the opening date for EE", and if we are lucky, "The Pooh play area will open in November at MK, and [some minor show themed to the Power Rangers] will open in October at MGM".

Any big project, like the E-ticket for MK, or any MAJOR expansion for DAK, would, IMO, not be announced until after Summer '06, even though you could probably see some dirty being turned well before that.

/applaud

Someone has a clue on how the world works.

speck76

TP2000 said:
In California, they are announcing two new rides for Disneyland on May 5th; the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage in Tomorrowland and the new Monsters Inc. ride for DCA's Hollywood Backlot section. Monsters Inc. opens in '06 and the submarines open in '07.

Monsters Inc. is considered a D Ticket and the new Submarine Voyage with Finding Nemo is considered an E Ticket. So obviously there's some money flowing after the 50th and WDW could be getting new E or D Tickets too.

DL is no WDW...

The vast majority of people that visit DL are regional....they do not travel thousands of miles to get there, and they can pretty much some back whenever the choose.

In contrast, the vast majority of people that visit WDW are NOT from the region, and a trip to Orlando is something that costs a considerable amount of money, with airfare, hotels, and those kind of expenses.

If DL were to announce new attractions at the start of the 50th celebration, the regional guests attitude would probably be "I can drive there now, and go back again next year when the new attraction opens".

For the vast majority of WDW guests, the attitude would be "Why would I spend $2-5K now for the trip, when all of this new stuff is opening in 2 years......let's try something else this year"

DisneyGal126

actor072002 said:
2. The 20K site needs an attraction. The pooh playground Idea is pathetic. Why would disney put a charater meet and greet/ playground right across from the pooh ride!

I don't have any problems with this. I wish that 20k would have been opened long enough so I could have been on it, I missed out since my very first trip to DIsney was in '94... anyway, I too wasn't too happy about the Pooh Play Area but then I read some responses of parents on the board and it made me think of things I had not before. It would be a place for the kids to burn off energy while parents could sit in the shade for a while. Not to mention while kids and parents were playing in that area that means they woudln't be on the rides making the lines a little shorter?

actor072002 said:
I would put money on a Beauty and the Beast dark ride because the show in MGM can be replaced with the incredibles or something more current.

or I believe there is a lot of talk about the disney villians (several cast members mentioned this while i was down last time) They deserve there own ride (not a coaster, sorry) or possible an animatronic show.

I love BatB and would love a ride like that! I agree that something with the Incredibles would be very popular!

actor072002 said:
3. The haunted mansion is my favorite ride of all time! I have read several rumors about an exit change that might add a shop. I think this would be great.

4. Indiana Jones ride in MGM looks pretty certain. However I would like to see a new version not a copycat version.

I LOVE both of these ideas! I love the HM and would love a whole store devoted to pins and T-shirts!

I have never been to DL and the main reason I want to go is because of that ride!!!!

actor072002 said:
5. AK NEEDS MORE ATTACTIONS! There I've said it. One of the initail plans for the park was to have an area with mythical creatures. Great idea! What happened to stop it. Now that disney has worked down the debt a little it can continue to add to AK. I like AK but it needs some work! Maybe add australia too!

6. A NEW PARK! The area cleared might be perfect for a new park (it right off a highway intersection!) Some rumors I have heard say that disney will build a park dedicated to thrill rides. Do we need another Universal! Disney's strength is there themeing. If Disney were to build another park think what that would do to Universal, who has run out of room! They can't compete!

AK does need some more stuff... but I agree that with EE opening it will help out the park! As for a new park, when I was at WDW in January, our bus driver told us that Disney will eventually be opening 2 new parks. Don't yell at me if this is wrong! I have no idea if it is or not, it is just was our bus driver said! He may have had insider information or just been guessing himself! *runs and hides in fear of getting yelled at*

actor072002 said:
8. How about an actual theater. Not a movie theater but a broadway style theater! Disney's broadway show are good! Or how about a new full length show that you have to buy tickets for. Not in a park but on WDW property.

do you mean one to house actual Broadway shows like The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast and Eida? That would be cool! But if I'm in Orlando I'll go to the parks since NY is only a couple of hours away....

actor072002 said:
9. Rehab of Space Ship Earth or complete remake! I love the ride and communication is a good theme but it needs help bad!

Rehab would be the key word here, but nothing more! My family hates SE but my boyfriend and I love it! Especially when you circle around and space is all around you!

actor072002 said:
10. A new toon town area at MK. Mickey's toon town fair is nice but its been there too long. A new toon town is needed!

I love Toon Town! I don't see anything wrong with it. I think it fits MK well!!

actor072002 said:
11. New 3D Movie in Epcot! Honey I shunk the audeince looks like crap! We need a remake or another new show

Yeah I always love HISTK but was a little disapointed last time I was there. After Mickey's PhilarMagic I guess sooo.... it is a neat movie and I like how the theatre moves but I wonder if they could restore it? I know they can't remake it because it would have different actors and I have issues with those kind of remakes!

CSUFSteve

speck76 said:
DL is no WDW...

The vast majority of people that visit DL are regional....they do not travel thousands of miles to get there, and they can pretty much some back whenever the choose.

In contrast, the vast majority of people that visit WDW are NOT from the region, and a trip to Orlando is something that costs a considerable amount of money, with airfare, hotels, and those kind of expenses.

If DL were to announce new attractions at the start of the 50th celebration, the regional guests attitude would probably be "I can drive there now, and go back again next year when the new attraction opens".

For the vast majority of WDW guests, the attitude would be "Why would I spend $2-5K now for the trip, when all of this new stuff is opening in 2 years......let's try something else this year"

Agree with all of this, and also consider the local (accurate) perception that it's been a while since there was major investment in Disneyland. I think Matt and his team are trying bring back the vitality to Disneyland, avert the stagnation that's been there a while, and show the local audience (no, not just AP'ers) that things are starting to happen at Disneyland again. Consider that Disneyland hasn't had a major new attraction since Indy opened in 1995. We *need* an E-Ticket announcement, although some might argue whether Nemo is a genuine E-Ticket, but I digress... WDW is constantly getting major investment partly because the economy of scale is there and because per capita spending is higher as a result of largely out-of-state domestic and international spending. While that makes us here at DL a little annoyed from time-to-time, the fact is WDW brings in about 70% of the Parks and Resorts revenue pie.

This is the starting point of getting some attendance flowing back into Tomorrowland. Once the attendance starts building, it will be financial feasible again to do something real with Tomorrowland. But you have to build up the base. Buzz is a very positive step in that direction. Gone are the days we can close an entire land and start from scratch (e.g. New Fantasyland)

AEfx

Thrawn said:
When you try to become the politicially correct police and start telling people what to do, its time to re-examine your priorities in life. Especially when you don't know what you are talking about.

Um, it's not about being politically correct, it's about not being rude. And, may I ask, what don't I know what I am talking about?

I was simply commenting on several of the posts in this thread - not just yours - that called people stupid, ignorant, etc. Obviously you picked up on it since you fit the description. It's just uncalled for. Use your words - or better yet, take the high road and politely explain yourself. Just no need to name call, is all.

This has become quite an issue around here lately, and although I'm the last one to discourage negative or critical thought when having discussions I don't believe those sorts of things should be directed at other posters.

Thrawn said:
Hoping for the best and starting nonsensical rumors that "announcements are going to happen on May 5th" are two different things.

When I was referring to idiots, I wasn't talking about the OP of this thread. I was talking about idiots such as the people who run screamscape, though they are important in their own delusions of grandeur, have no real idea of what is going on inside TWDC. Thus, unnecessary hype is created and everyone that counts on announcements will all be upset when nothing happens.

Well, you directly quoted someone and made no mention of Screamscape or anything of the sort. Sorry if I misunderstood the object of your name-calling - regardless, you weren't the only one who was being rude in this thread and many others around here at the moment.

It's not about being politically correct, it's about being a decent person. That's all. Again, my apologies if I misunderstood you - but judging from the positive rep I recieved for that post, I'm assuming I'm not the only one who took your post that way.

AEfx

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom