Just how bad is it between christmas and New Years

David S.

This is, by far, my FAVORITE week of the year to visit WDW for a number of reasons.

Yes, it IS extremely crowded.

However, the park hours are significantly extended which cancels this out, (at least for me, since I'm a hardcore open-close "parkie") and the Christmas decorations, music loops, and entertainment are in full swing, INCLUDING all the entertainment offerings in the Magic Kingdom that they charge extra for earlier in the season at the upcharge after-closing events, which are now included as part of the regular operating day at this time!

How one is affected by the crowds will depend on the level of experience and touring plans/strategy used.

If you get there early and are a Fastpass pro, you should be fine!

What I like to do is get there for Rope Drop. There are a LOT fewer people willing to get there at the crack of dawn (7 or 8 AM) during even the busiest week of the year, than there are for a standard 9 AM opening even during slow season!

This means that the park is usually fairly empty the first couple of hours, and you can use this time to "surf a wave of walk-ons" on things that will be massively crowded by 11 AM or noon (if not sooner) and remain so for much of the rest of the day. Such as the Fantasyland attractions, the Mountain range, Speedway and Orbiter, etc. Also, the earlier you get there, the sooner you can start using the Fastpass system, which means you will be able to get more Fastpasses, which will pay off EXPONENTIALLY when the park is packed later on and all the people who slept late are upset that the headliners have 2 hour waits and late Fastpass return times or, worse, are already out of FPs by the time they get there.

The interesting thing to me is that things that I can usually count on as being walk-ons during the crowded peak afternoons of most days, still seem to be walk-ons (or close to walk-ons) during the crowded peak afternoons during peak seasons. I refer to things like the Peoplemover (wait might be a little but still usually less than 5 or 10 minutes), the Railroad, the Riverboat, Carousel of Progress, Tiki Room, Country Bear Jamboree, and Hall of Presidents. You can usually get on the next cycle loading for all of these, same as on a normal day. Worst case scenario is that you might miss one cycle, but you can get a sense of it that is the case before committing to the wait.

Then, after the fireworks, the park usually empties out quite a bit, and I can surf another wave of either walk-ons or short waits (or use FPs for things like Space Mountain that I collected earlier, to make the major headliners short waits as well), to make the last few hours up until midnight or 1 AM or whenever the park closes, truly magical!

Between the extended hours (often 16+ hour days) and Fastpass negating the insane waits on the headliners, I actually consistently get on MORE attractions per day during peak times like Christmas and Easter that people complain about, than I do during the praised "slow season" when the park is only open from 9 AM - 8 PM, because no matter how uncrowded everything is, there is simply a lot less TIME to work with. In fact, my single day "personal record" for most MK attractions, parades, and shows experienced in a single day, was actually set on a "peak" day on which the park reached capacity! In fact, it was set on a 19 hour operating day on New Year's Eve! ;) This included getting at least one cycle on EVERY attraction in the park, seeing all the Christmas entertainment, (including all of it that was presented more than once at least twice), seeing Spectro, and seeing the NYE fireworks, as well as having time for ENCORES on favorite attractions in the closing hours! All of this, on NYE! The Early Bird catches the worm! ;)

Also, with the Christmas entertainment in full swing, there is plenty of extra things to do to occupy this extra time. The wonderful Christmas parade at the MK is usually presented TWICE daily, so I like to watch it 4 times a day (by watching at the beginning of the route and short-cutting thru Adventureland and Emporium to the end, thus avoiding the overcrowded route itself!). There is also the Castle lighting show, the Celebrate the Season castle stage show, the show at the new Tomorrowland stage, and of course Holiday Wishes at the MK. All included with park admission/AP, and no longer an after-hours upcharge by this time!

One negative thing I have to mention in order to be fair and balanced, is that although early arrival, good use of FP, and a good touring plan will help negate any negative consequences of the extra crowds as far as being able to get your attractions in, there is nothing that can be done to completely eliminate exposure to the congestion and bottlenecks that one might encounter while walking around the park (mainly MK). This can be unsettling, although since I have lots of experience with it now, it doesn't bother me nearly as much as it did when it was new to me.

The parade route in Frontierland can get extremely congested before and after a parade, and "The Hub" can be an ABSOLUTE ZOO, not only during parades, but all throughout the evening entertainment!

Some people stake out a spot in The Hub and just stay there all night, watching the Castle lighting, the Castle shows, the MSEP, Holiday Wishes, and, in the case of New Year's Eve and New Year's Eve Eve, the AWESOME NYE fireworks.

It can literally take longer to get from the Tomorrowland entry bridge to the Liberty Belle (or vice versa) during these conditions via the Hub, than it would to take the long way around, thru Fantasyland.

For this reason I like to avoid the Hub as much as possible at peak moments of peak days, although since I enjoy the Castle Lighting show and LOVE the Celebrate the Season Castle stage show, I have to at least enter this area during those times. But since I usually watch the parades in Town Square and/or Frontierland, and my fave fireworks viewpoint is Fantasyland, I actually avoid a lot of this congestion.

Well, this may be more info than anyone was expecting, but I just wanted to present an alternate viewpoint that the Christmas-New Year's week doesn't have to be the "doom and gloom" horror stories that you may hear about. If you go, have fun! :xmas:

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
INSANE! I will never EVER go to WDW between x-mas and new years. We went Dec. 29 2009 and it was the craziest thing I have ever seen. It took us 30 minutes to walk from Tomorrowland to Frontierland. It was that nuts. One and done for us after that experience. One cast member told us there was 90,000 in the park that day and it was about to be phase 3 closing.

We had a similar experience on December 28th, 2008. We had to wait 30 minutes in line to get fastpasses for Big Thunder Mountain and it took us close to an hour to get from Frontierland to the turnstyles. It was around 1pm. Never again! MK is certainly the worst, the other parks weren't THAT bad but they were still quite crowded.

Minnie1976

After Chrsitmas it just keeps getting more crowded. If you go, you really have to take advantage of the early and late hours. It gets crazy. We left one year on December 29th and I had never seen lines to get on the monorail to go to the MK like that before. I have pictures of the crowds.

Disney Dawg88

Thinking about making a trip between christmas and new years. I know it's crazy busy, but just what does that mean? Does it mean 3 hour waits for EVERYTHING? We have two 2 1/2 year olds, so we aren't doing any of the super headliner type rides. We'd be sticking to Winnie the Pooh, Spaceship Earth, Great Movie Ride, etc type attractions. We are usually only able to go when it's busy (summer or the few days leading up to christmas including christmas day itself). So how much worse is the time after christmas compared to the peak of the summer or the christmas day (or the few days before)?

I know New Years Eve is the busiest, so we'd be long gone before then.

We consider ourselves expert fastpass users too, if that helps.

Thanks

So I'm post # 24 in this thread and by my count, and I realize that musketeer had a couple of replies, only 1 out of the 23 posts said to go between Christmas and NYE but they warned it is "extremely" crowded. Hopefully your question has been answered.

My $.02, if you can wait one more week, go right after NYE and before Marathon Weekend. There aren't a ton of people there during Marathon Weekend, trust me I go to MK all times during the year and have participated in Marathon Weekend five or six times now, but there shouldn't be anyone there after NYE. I don't know if your schedule allows it but your trip will be much much more enjoyable if you can go that following week. Again, my $.02.

musketeer

Original Poster
My $.02, if you can wait one more week, go right after NYE and before Marathon Weekend. There aren't a ton of people there during Marathon Weekend, trust me I go to MK all times during the year and have participated in Marathon Weekend five or six times now, but there shouldn't be anyone there after NYE. I don't know if your schedule allows it but your trip will be much much more enjoyable if you can go that following week. Again, my $.02.

If I could I totally would, in fact, I'd LOVE to go that week. However one of us is a teacher and that's when school starts.

CaptainJackNO

Thinking about making a trip between christmas and new years. I know it's crazy busy, but just what does that mean? Does it mean 3 hour waits for EVERYTHING? We have two 2 1/2 year olds, so we aren't doing any of the super headliner type rides. We'd be sticking to Winnie the Pooh, Spaceship Earth, Great Movie Ride, etc type attractions. We are usually only able to go when it's busy (summer or the few days leading up to christmas including christmas day itself). So how much worse is the time after christmas compared to the peak of the summer or the christmas day (or the few days before)?

Thanks

We have done it twice, and let me tell you, having a 2 and 7 year old, we will NEVER do it again. The crowds are ungodly. You are, literally, shoulder to shoulder with people all day, everyday. Last time we went between Xmas and New Years IASW had a, get ready, 60 minute wait, POTC 60 minutes, Space Mountain's queue was outside the attraction and the line, literally, went out and was underneath astro orbiter. Space Ranger Spin was 75 mins, Snow white was around 45 mins, to an hour.

EPCOT was no better. Maelstrom (One of my faves) had a wait over an hour, Gran Fiesta Tour, which never has any wait, had a 40 minute wait.

Studios was awful. We waited over an hour at TGMR. We were lined up outside the Chinese theatre, and they were using the switchback lines outside.

Animal Kingdom, Fuhgettaboutit.

Want to know why I remember these wait times? Because I am scarred for life from that trip. LOL. Screaming kids, warmer than average december, crowded everything. You couldn't get a seat in Tomorrowland terrace to eat, on one night, and it was after 9 o'clock.

It was, honestly, Misery. Were the resorts and parks beautiful? yes. But. Unless you have a massive crowd fetish, I would skip this time and choose one less crowded. Try ad go the week before. That is the exact opposite. Once Dec 22 rolls around, Katie, bar the door. Sorry to be a debbie downer, but it's the truth.

I need to add this, Christmas day was, if I remember right, a stage 3 shutdown, or whatever they call it. The bus driver said that if too many more resort guests showed up, they would have to start limiting access to resort guests, even, due to fire laws. They had shut down the MK to anyone not on Disney resort property as of 10 AM that morning.

If you feel tempted to really do this, go to the heaviest door in your house. Take off your socks and shoes. Place your foot between the door and the door frame and slam it as hard as you can, over, and over, and over, until you feel you might pass out. That's kind of how you feel halfway through the day during Christmas in the Magic Kingdom. (Just joking about that door slamming thing.) But really, that's what it's like.

BrittanyRose428

I'll be there from the 26th to the 30th this year... for my first time during the holiday season... I tried to warn my family that we should go either the week before or the week after, but everyone else has school and work... Hopefully it won't be too bad, though honestly I'm slightly worried because we don't get to go as much as we used to so I really want to be able to do a lot. I know thats asking for a lot for the 5 days we'll be there during one of the busiest weeks but yea

It CAN be done! If you choose to have a good time, no matter what happens, you will, regardless of the crowds. Choose a gameplan, but be willing to be flexible.

Hubby & I went Dec 26-30 last year to take my stepdaughters (5 & 7) for their first trip and had a BLAST. Almost froze to death due to a freakish cold spell in Florida, but the crowds didn't pose a problem for us at all.

I knew it was going to be crazy busy, but that was the only time we could all go together. Any Disney experience is better than a non-Disney experience to me, so I decided that I was going to make sure we had an excellent time. I planned like a maniac for months with the unofficial guide so that by the time we got there, I had different "game plans" memorized with flexible alternates at every turn. I told them that we were NOT leaving any parks, to avoid not being able to get back in...and that we were leaving the parks early each night so that transportation back to the resort wasn't a nightmare. I didn't get park hoppers. We chose to knock out a single park in a day, to avoid transportation at peak times.

I kid you not-we had a WONDERFUL vacation that seemed to be "charmed." We didn't wait in line for longer than 30 minutes the whole time we were there...the longest line we stood in was to meet Goofy & Donald in DAK. That's not to say that the lines didn't get that long...I was in MK the day it was "full." We got to the park at opening, and went full throttle and made sure that we were done each day after dinner so the kids could rest.

And it's not like we just walked around, enjoying the ambience of the parks during the holidays, although that's certainly an option. We went on a ton of stuff in each park by ensuring that we knocked out the most important things to us in the first hour or two that we were at the park, and after that made sure we were going AGAINST the flow of the crowd. The crowds seemed to move in one direction. We did all of Fantasyland (with two little girls, that was most important), the Haunted Mansion, and Splash Mountain during the morning EMH before it got crowded with offsite guests/locals. There were NO lines in Fantasyland that early. We walked onto everything. (No line for Splash--it was 28 degrees when we rode.) And, again, this was the day the MK was "full." I didn't think it was that bad. I had tunnel vision on what we were going to do next, and by gum, we were going to get there. We each grabbed a child by the hand firmly, held their hand directly behind our backs (to position the child behind us,) and barrelled our way through the crowds with a smile on our faces. (Although I really only had to do that in Adventureland and Frontierland and after LMA at the Studios.)

The key for us was getting to the parks early enough that we could be some of the first people in. It was really cold in the mornings, and we didn't see crowds pick up until late-morning/lunchtime. Late afternoons and the ends of days were the craziest. We ate breakfast at the resort REALLY early, and ate lunch and dinner really early each day to avoid the main congestion at mealtimes.

My husband was so happy the whole time, and couldn't figure out how we got through everything so quickly. We saw the crowds...we saw the lines, but we "magically" happened to not be affected by them. He thinks I'm pretty awesome now, and brags on how his wife "beat the system" on the busiest week of the year.

BrittanyRose428

Great input ^^ I've done a lot of pre-trip planning, and re-planning as well, I think I'm just worried because we're staying at Shades of Green and I don't remember how well the bus system ran there because its been a while, and I don't think we can walk to the Poly because my grandma just had her hip replaced and she may not be up for it. My family has this whole attitude that we can take our time and take breaks at the hotel throughout the day, which I don't think is a good idea. I agree with the above post that it would be better to choose a park for the day and stay there until we're done for the night. My family apparently has no idea how busy it will be so hopefully they listen to me lol.

Consider things like COP, TTA, Ellen, and The American Adventure as your "nap times" for the kids.
The only time we encountered something that came close to a kiddie meltdown is the day I thought we could squeeze in a "couple more attractions" in Epcot after dinner because the kids were doing so well. Unfortunately, the first one I chose was a showing of American Adventure after having been in the park since 7 a.m. (we had the princess bfast in Norway). Of course the kids fell asleep, and then I had to wake them up to walk back to the bus. Our 5 yr old was NOT happy. I learned that we just had to call it a day when it started getting dark, except for the night we saw Fantasmic (hint--earlier showing and get there a little early to avoid standing in line for a seat. If you buy one of those expensive light-up things, the kids will sit still for a little while. Dawdle and see the Osborne lights afterwards for a minute to let the main traffic get to the buses first, and then head back before the second showing lets out.) It was really nice to get on a bus to go back to the resort...and be the only people on it.
Although taking breaks would have been nice...we wouldn't have made it back into the parks, I feel quite certain.

David S.

It CAN be done! If you choose to have a good time, no matter what happens, you will, regardless of the crowds. Choose a gameplan, but be willing to be flexible.

I kid you not-we had a WONDERFUL vacation that seemed to be "charmed." We didn't wait in line for longer than 30 minutes the whole time we were there...the longest line we stood in was to meet Goofy & Donald in DAK. That's not to say that the lines didn't get that long...I was in MK the day it was "full."

And it's not like we just walked around, enjoying the ambience of the parks during the holidays, although that's certainly an option. We went on a ton of stuff in each park by ensuring that we knocked out the most important things to us in the first hour or two that we were at the park, and after that made sure we were going AGAINST the flow of the crowd. The crowds seemed to move in one direction. We did all of Fantasyland (with two little girls, that was most important), the Haunted Mansion, and Splash Mountain during the morning EMH before it got crowded with offsite guests/locals. There were NO lines in Fantasyland that early. We walked onto everything. (No line for Splash--it was 28 degrees when we rode.) And, again, this was the day the MK was "full." I didn't think it was that bad. I had tunnel vision on what we were going to do next, and by gum, we were going to get there.

The key for us was getting to the parks early enough that we could be some of the first people in.

My husband was so happy the whole time, and couldn't figure out how we got through everything so quickly. We saw the crowds...we saw the lines, but we "magically" happened to not be affected by them. He thinks I'm pretty awesome now, and brags on how his wife "beat the system" on the busiest week of the year.

All GREAT advice, and great post! :) Your post proves that it CAN indeed be done! A lot of people don't believe me when I tell them what I manage to get done at the MK on the busiest days of the year (including the last 5 New Year's Eves), but when you get there at opening and have a basic plan, it IS possible!

I like how you said have a gameplan but be flexible. That's how I do it, too. I have a basic idea of how I'm going to tackle the parks based on a variety of touring plans and start patterns I like to use, but these are NEVER scripted to the exact order and letter (like some tour groups I've seen ;) ). I just go with the basic "flow" of the day, based on mood combined with my knowledge and experience of strategies that work in particular situations.

But yes, it CAN be done! "The early bird catches the worm"! ;)

Or, as the late, great Coach Wooden used to say, "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail" ;)

The most satisfying thing for is when I can use my experience to help others. Like when my parents came to visit me a few years ago during the busy Spring Break season. They hadn't been to WDW in 20 years, and only had a day for each park, plus one extra day. And like your husband, they were amazed at how I guided them through the parks, using strategy, experience, and Fastpass, and how they were able to do everything they wanted in each park, with time to spare to repeat favorites!

mm52

Thanks

Been there and done that! Never again. I love seeing the decorations and all that goes on at Disney during that time, but the crowds were just crazy. The parks were full to capacity everyday and it was just wall to wall people. I think it would just overwhelm the little ones. We now go in either late Nov early Dec, get all the holiday decorations and less crowds.

surfsupdon

B een there 6 times during that week spread over the years.

Incredible, INCREDIBLE time. And that was before EMH had parks open till 3am. Just do some planning, get there early, stay late, and relax at the pool all afternoon.

Big advice: try to stay at an Epcot Deluxe Resort where you can walk. (Swan Dophin have some amazing discounts even during that week, despite Disney generally offering none.) Traffic is always a pain, even on the monorail beam ("waiting for clearance") so it's a huge benefit to be able to walk to 2 theme parks and not rely on transportation and deal with traffic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom