Just back from seeing Prince of Persia...

matt_taylor1985

Original Poster
Not sure if anyone's really interested but...

same as a few months ago when I got to see Alice in Wonderland for free in an advanced screening, I went to see a special screening of Prince of Persia tonight, and thought i'd fill you in with a few non-spoilery points...

* Very similar tonally to Pirates, however Prince of Persia is a bit on the more serious side.

* Alfred Molina makes a nice 'Pirates' type bad guy/good guy appearance who I bet will be in any of the sequels if there is any.

* Jake Gyllenhall is great as Dastan. He has that classic action adventure hero vibe that I didn't think he would, but was a nice surprise (think Harrison Ford in Indy).

* Effects were pretty good, and not too much use of CGI.

matt_taylor1985

Original Poster
I really like Jake Gyllenhall, and I think the previews for this look great.

Did you like the movie?

I did like it. It wasn't fantastic and the ending was a bit so-so but over all it was a good movie. Put it this way, Gyllenhall's Prince is a character I'd like to see in movies again.

From what I understand alot of people who have reviewed it aren't too keen on his English accent, but I think it fits.

catinthehat

Thanks for posting an advanced review. I think the accent is fitting since so many cast members are British. I think it's more consistent to have everyone with the same accent, you know?

Here is another review

portion of review --
So the big question here is obvious. How does Jake stand up to an action-adventure hero role? Pretty damn well actually. He's got the physical presence, the charm, the energy required for something like this. You know that kind of broad comedy that's wedged into every single mainstream blockbuster? He nails it.

matt_taylor1985

Original Poster
Thanks for posting an advanced review. I think the accent is fitting since so many cast members are British. I think it's more consistent to have everyone with the same accent, you know?

Here is another review

portion of review --
So the big question here is obvious. How does Jake stand up to an action-adventure hero role? Pretty damn well actually. He's got the physical presence, the charm, the energy required for something like this. You know that kind of broad comedy that's wedged into every single mainstream blockbuster? He nails it.

Totally. It comes across as a more serious Pirates.

erasure fan1

I loved the sands of time game and thought it would make a good movie. I hope its as good as the previews look and they do look great. Movies that get made from video games for the most part stink so I really hope this one breaks that mold. If its a big success that could hopefully lead to a rush on the bioshock movie and a green light for mass effect. I know its a long shot but one can dream!:lol:

catinthehat

I think that having Jerry Bruckheimer, Jake Gyllenhaal and Ben Kingsley already puts this movie ahead of a lot of other video game adaptations. Sounds like this has some serious franchise potential.

I know you mentioned the effects in your review, but what did you think of the fight scenes and over all level of action?

matt_taylor1985

Original Poster
I loved the sands of time game and thought it would make a good movie. I hope its as good as the previews look and they do look great. Movies that get made from video games for the most part stink so I really hope this one breaks that mold. If its a big success that could hopefully lead to a rush on the bioshock movie and a green light for mass effect. I know its a long shot but one can dream!:lol:

It really doesn't have the feel of a video game movie. As I say it more or less uses the Pirates mould but makes it that bit more serious.

matt_taylor1985

Original Poster
I think that having Jerry Bruckheimer, Jake Gyllenhaal and Ben Kingsley already puts this movie ahead of a lot of other video game adaptations. Sounds like this has some serious franchise potential.

I know you mentioned the effects in your review, but what did you think of the fight scenes and over all level of action?

Fight scenes were good. At times, they can be pretty brutal and I remember ocming out of the showing with friends going 'it's not really a kid's movie'. It's not gory or anything like that, it's just really stripped back, and you can tell when people are getting stabbed or what have you, that they actually ARE getting stabbed.

Gyllenhall's really good and there is a fair few scenes of sword fighting throughout. I'd even go as far to say that there is a bit near the beginning of the film that is reminiscent of Lord of the Rings. You've probably seen it in the previews where Dastan's men are firing arrows into the side of a castle wall and he's using the arrows to climb up. Reminded me of the Two Towers.

catinthehat

Oh they released that scene online - here is the link if anyone is wondering.

thanks for such a detailed review! You might enjoy this, the Hollywood premiere and the AFI tribute to Jerry Bruckheimer are going to be live online tonight. I've seen all the photos from the international premieres, but watching it live should be a cool experience, you know?

matt_taylor1985

Original Poster
The showing I was at was actually one of a few around the world to coincide with the World Premiere here in the UK, so before the movie, each theatre, including ours had a direct satellite link up to the premiere where it was happening in the UK.

The same thing happened when we went to see Alice in Wonderland.

imagineer boy

I'm glad to see Disney make a PG-13 rated movie that's not Pirates or Touchstone. You can be family friendly yet be PG-13 at the same time. The pirates franchice definately proved that.

catinthehat

That's very true that P-13 can also pull in a family audience. Like you said, Bruckheimer did it with Pirates and I think most parents/kids enjoyed those films.

Speaking of Bruckheimer, here are some video interviews with him and the director, Mike Newell that you might enjoy! Only one more week till it opens!

additional interviews

Animaniac93-98

That's very true that P-13 can also pull in a family audience. Like you said, Bruckheimer did it with Pirates and I think most parents/kids enjoyed those films.

That's because PG-13 movies don't really have much more "offensive" material than PG. Lots of PG-13 rated films like Iron Man and Transformers are marketed to kids anyway these days. In countries like Canada the rating is often PG for these movies. (PG films in the states are often rated G in Canada too).

Didn't kids love Tim Burton's Batman when it was first released too? That was also PG-13.

My point is, as much as the rating suggests an older audience it doesn't always match whatever marketing strategies may exist for a given film or who actually goes to see it.

PG-13 is the new PG IMO.

catinthehat

It is funny how ratings adjust over the years.

Movie opens tomorrow. I am hearing really good things about Jake and Gemma's performance on UK sites (it already opened there). Beyond ratings, I think any comparison to Pirates and Indy is a good sign.

review --
Overall a thoroughly enjoyable film; kids will definitely love this film and there’s plenty to keep older viewers amused. If you liked pirates, liked the computer game or just like well put together fantasy adventures like Indiana Jones or the Mummy, then this is the summer blockbuster for you.

catinthehat

Taking a look at Twitter , it seems like the movie is already doing amazing. I've been reading tons of awesome fan reviews, which for a summer blockbuster tends to mean more to me, you know? Like I am not going to the theater expecting an Oscar performance based on a classic novel, I am look for good action and some laughs!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom