Jungle Cruise Re-Imagining

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
I think the difference of CoP and JC is that CoP isn’t directly stereotypical toward a certain group of people. There’s no (that I can recall) racist, homophobic, or classist jokes. It’s a liiiittle sexist based on the times, especially in the first couple decades, but that could easily be tweaked with a much needed rewrite anyway.
I always considered Orville's "No privacy at all around here!" as ageist. Not to mention Billy's amazement at how Grandma can possibly be any good at a video game...

And the whole exploding turkey thing is clearly anti-Dadism at its worst.

JustInTime

I think it's interesting that they keep taking props away from scenes without replacing anything. Has anyone ridden Jungle Cruise in the past few days? What're the skippers saying through all of these empty scenes?
It’s not done.
I think the difference of CoP and JC is that CoP isn’t directly stereotypical toward a certain group of people. There’s no (that I can recall) racist, homophobic, or classist jokes. It’s a liiiittle sexist based on the times, especially in the first couple decades, but that could easily be tweaked with a much needed rewrite anyway.
I’m hearing they are viewing it as no longer representing the all American family and too costly to update. Likely to close permanently. I’m hoping I’m wrong.

TrainsOfDisney

COP was a World's Fair attraction in the day... One would imagine that they would move it to a museum to preserve the history.
It would be a great fit at the Henry Ford. They already have the Mathematica exhibit which has elements from the same world fair. And of course Ford had their own Disney created pavilion as well.

They could also break it up and put 1 scene in one man’s dream, put 1 scene somewhere in Disneyland (maybe even in the old COP building or elsewhere in Tomorrowland) and give 1 scene to the Disney Family Museum.

UNCgolf

It would be a great fit at the Henry Ford. They already have the Mathematica exhibit which has elements from the same world fair. And of course Ford had their own Disney created pavilion as well.

They could also break it up and put 1 scene in one man’s dream, put 1 scene somewhere in Disneyland (maybe even in the old COP building or elsewhere in Tomorrowland) and give 1 scene to the Disney Family Museum.

If they decide they aren't going to keep it open at WDW, they should return it to the original World's Fair version and give it to the Smithsonian. It'd be a great theater attraction as part of National Museum of American History.

TrainsOfDisney

If they decide they aren't going to keep it open at WDW, they should return it to the original World's Fair version and give it to the Smithsonian. It'd be a great theater attraction as part of National Museum of American History.
Hey that’s where the 4th room can go! Haha.

Yes it would be a good fit there as well. I actually think the Henry Ford beats out the Smithsonian but they are both fantastic.

UNCgolf

Hey that’s where the 4th room can go! Haha.

Yes it would be a good fit there as well. I actually think the Henry Ford beats out the Smithsonian but they are both fantastic.

There are just far more people likely to visit the American History museum at the Smithsonian. There aren't very many tourists visiting Detroit -- I'd love to go to the Henry Ford some day but I kind of doubt I ever will for that reason. Just too many other places I want to go that offer more overall than Detroit so it's pretty far down the list.

TrainsOfDisney

There are just far more people likely to visit the American History museum at the Smithsonian. There aren't very many tourists visiting Detroit -- I'd love to go to the Henry Ford some day but I kind of doubt I ever will for that reason. Just too many other places I want to go that offer more overall than Detroit so it's pretty far down the list
They had 1.8 million visitors in 2019.
I would highly reccomend moving them up your list - really amazing place to visit. I spend multiple days each time I visit, just like going to Disneyland.

UNCgolf

They had 1.8 million visitors in 2019.
I would highly reccomend moving them up your list - really amazing place to visit. I spend multiple days each time I visit, just like going to Disneyland.

More than I would have thought! Still probably a million or more less than the Smithsonian, though.

Hard to say for sure since the Smithsonian is free so they can't count ticket sales.

TrainsOfDisney

More than I would have thought! Still probably a million or more less than the Smithsonian, though.

Hard to say for sure since the Smithsonian is free so they can't count ticket sales.
If this were a carnival guessing game you would have just won a stuffed lots-o bear!

Yes about 1 million less than Smithsonian American History Museum. But significantly more than some of the other Smithsonian Museums in DC.

UNCgolf

If this were a carnival guessing game you would have just won a stuffed lots-o bear!

Yes about 1 million less than Smithsonian American History Museum. But significantly more than some of the other Smithsonian Museums in DC.

Not surprising since it's like 13 or 14 museums, and some of them cover very specific areas. I'd guess Air and Space, American History, and Natural History dwarf all the others, unless the National Gallery of Art is also part of the Smithsonian (can't remember if it's separate or not). Then it might be those four above all the others.

Parker in NYC

So, reading the last few pages or so, when did conversations about "wokeness" not fall into the category of Political and Social Issues on WDWMagic? This thread really treads a fine line, even if the changes themselves are about just that. And for the record, that includes myself - so no tea, no shade.

Asking for a friend.

owlsandcoffee

So, reading the last few pages or so, when did conversations about "wokeness" not fall into the category of Political and Social Issues on WDWMagic? This thread really treads a fine line, even if the changes themselves are about just that. And for the record, that includes myself - so no tea, no shade.

Asking for a friend.
Kind of the same problem we have in the splash mountain thread, which is that we (including me) keep getting into discussions about SotS because there's nothing else to talk about.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom