Jungle Cruise Re-Imagining

Kgp0793

cue the DISNEY'S RUINING MY CHILDHOOD JUNGLE CRUISE IS MY FAVORITE ATTRACTION THAT I JUST REMEMBERED EXISTED AND I AM SO ANGRY THAT DISNEY WOULD TOUCH THIS BELOVED CLASSIC THAT PEOPLE JUST NOW REMEMBERED EXISTED

(i'm a bit late on that but)

seriously people it's just adding a story and removing the more problematic scenes
but there’s no theater in not throwing a temper tantrum about an amusement park ride update 😢

TrainsOfDisney

I never understood why the skippers go silent in the tunnel.
They didn’t used to. The jokes I remember from back in the day

- oh look tiger woods
- oh no it looks like this is a root canal
- look it’s the original golden girls
-snake snake snake, snake and Buddha (sung to the tune of shake your booty)
-look it’s the original barrel of monkeys

SirLink

Wow, maybe if you’d listen to other people for once in your life, we’d probably be having a respectful conversation right now.
We are having a very respectful conversation.

I've listened, I've thought and I have replied. The people going on the Jungle Cruise for the last 65 years haven't been going to guest relations to complain.

The people who were offended by those scenes, and I go back to Stephen Fry quote regarding people being offended, are the people who watch a Youtube video and have never stepped foot in any of the parks.

matt9112

Right, the story we are in assumes the best intentions from the white people, and the worst intentions from the dark people.
The white people wrote the story of the ride. Do you understand yet?
Its not a history lesson its a ride in a theme park. It
I think he fits under the description of "negative native depictions" so I'm going to guess that yes, he's leaving.
To be fair could keep name and just change him....less heads....more caucasian complexion for example. Or any number of things but still technically have a "trader sam"

rylouisbo

no need for unnecessary anger, all the more power to ya if you can separate the update from politics.
no need to demand everyone agree with you about thinking something is offensive when most people dont care. why did you go on the ride if you thought it was offensive? why did disney work with china to film mulan while they were violating human rights? disney working with china as they literally jail and kill people is ok but a classic ride at disney that is harmless must be changed cause disney cares so much about sensitivity! lol

UNCgolf

I agree that the “natives” would be angry and maybe even aggressive (though more probably scared) when a foreign group shows up, but what is the joke in that scenario?

The simplest way to handle it (if they didn't want to remove/replace figures) would be to do what's in the trailer for the Jungle Cruise movie. The "natives" are actually in league with the skipper captain to provide some extra oomph for his tour. I'm not sure how easy it would be to make that work in the context of the ride, though, and I'm assuming they plan on removing the figures entirely and for understandable reasons..

Last edited:

WillWrambles

In the Parks
No
no need to demand everyone agree with you about thinking something is offensive when most people dont care. why did you go on the ride if you thought it was offensive? why did disney work with china to film mulan while they were violating human rights? disney working with china as they literally jail and kill people is ok but a classic ride at disney that is harmless must be changed cause disney cares so much about sensitivity! lol
I also refer you to @raven24.

Kgp0793

you need to calm down dude lol

TalkingHead

you need to calm down dude lol

It's just that some of us find it amusing how Disney focuses on changing amusement park rides over more salient injustices -- CM treatment, business dealings with China, etc.

Corporations used to be accused of greenwashing when they put a good PR show of being environmentally friendly. This is more akin to virtue-washing. It's a token change even if it's justified.

If you're a fan of Disney, just own up to the fact that you're cool with a certain amount of cultural imperialism, and removing a few AAs on a kitschy jungle boat ride isn't gonna change that.

Castle Cake Apologist

We are having a very respectful conversation.

I've listened, I've thought and I have replied. The people going on the Jungle Cruise for the last 65 years haven't been going to guest relations to complain.

The people who were offended by those scenes, and I go back to Stephen Fry quote regarding people being offended, are the people who watch a Youtube video and have never stepped foot in any of the parks.

I'd invite you to visit the Disneyland sub-forum, where actual people of color who frequent the parks are discussing the changes. Spoiler alert: you're not on the same side.

Your posts are coming across as ridiculously childish.

Kgp0793

It's just that some of us find it amusing how Disney focuses on changing amusement park rides over more salient injustices -- CM treatment, business dealings with China, etc.

Corporations used to be accused of greenwashing when they put a good PR show of being environmentally friendly. This is more akin to virtue-washing. It's a token change even if it's justified.

If you're a fan of Disney, just own up to the fact that you're cool with a certain amount of cultural imperialism, and removing a few AAs on a kitschy jungle boat ride isn't gonna change that.
oh, I agree with that, but I don’t think screaming about it on a forum is doing any good. You’re just doing performative “Facebook activism” so you can feel like you’re actually doing something when you’re really not

rylouisbo

I'd invite you to visit the Disneyland sub-forum, where actual people of color who frequent the parks are discussing the changes. Spoiler alert: you're not on the same side.

Your posts are coming across as ridiculously childish.
what if i told you that there are many people of color who dont think the changes are helpful or necessary? what if i told you that there were many people of color who love splash mountain the way it is and enjoy the songs? its funny how people just choose to ignore opinions if they are opposing their stance.

i'd invite you to expand your bubble to find these people because theyre are alot of them out there :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom