Jungle Cruise guns.

Mr Bill

Original Poster
I was at WDW today and noticed the the skippers fire off a gun during the hippo scene again. Has this been going on again for a while or did it just happen? It seemed as if the sound of the gun firing was a recording though. I did a search about this and didn't see anything so I thought I'd post it.

CTXRover

They added back the guns a while ago. I think I remember seeing them back as recently as last December. Unfortunately, I think they are pretty cheesy as the sound of the gun going off is simply over the speakers on each of the boats. I've heard Tokyo's JC guns are the same way. In contrast, the skippers at DL's JC got guns back too, but they are like the old guns that made a loud bang. Much more convincing that way. Either way, I was glad they loosened up a bit from the "everything must be politically correct" era the parks went through a while ago. If now they could only change back some of those scenes in Pirates ;)

PlaneJane

In the Parks
No
yea the gun at WDW is pretty cheesy, like one of those old arcade guns with the big metal rope thing that keeps it attached to the boat. It kinda brings the Jungle Cruise into a whole new territory of cheesiness (sp)

Laura

Premium Member
OK when we went on the Jungle Cruise a few weeks ago our skipper was terrible. He picked up the gun and shot it a few times, and then a few seconds later is when the shot "sounds" played over the speakers. It was so pathetic. :lol:

Yep there's guns, and they sound cheesy... Like Laura22 said, that has happened to us once or twice before. I think she was a newbie, but anyways, the little kids won't know a difference :p

Brent

Laura22 said:
OK when we went on the Jungle Cruise a few weeks ago our skipper was terrible. He picked up the gun and shot it a few times, and then a few seconds later is when the shot "sounds" played over the speakers. It was so pathetic. :lol:
Wow thats bad. LOL Well when I rode in feb my skipper didn't fire any gun so I have yet to see the cheesey gun but i'll be sure to try & see it in jan if i make it to MK

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
warlord said:
yea the gun at WDW is pretty cheesy, like one of those old arcade guns with the big metal rope thing that keeps it attached to the boat. It kinda brings the Jungle Cruise into a whole new territory of cheesiness (sp)

So I would have to hijack a boat, cruise over to SGE to shoot at the abomination? I just couldnt take the gun....is that what you are saying?

CTXRover

ArielBelle said:
Guess I'm too young to have noticed the difference, but what had been changed in Pirates of the Caribbean? :hammer:

A few little things, but the biggest change was the "chase scene". When the ride first opened, the first two or three chases had Pirates chasing after the women and then the final chase had the lady chasing the pirate with a broom. All irony and humor was lost though when Disney changed the ride to be more politically correct because according to some critics those scenes were degrading to women. So Disney changed that scene so that *all* of the chases had the ladies chasing away the Pirates.

OnceUponaDream

ArielBelle said:
Guess I'm too young to have noticed the difference, but what had been changed in Pirates of the Caribbean? :hammer:

Also, in the chase scene room, the pirate sitting in front of the barrel with the girl hiding used to be holding her undergarments and was trying to find her. He's now holding a treasure map and comments about finding the treasure...and the girl is peeking out for no reason.

mikeymouse

CTXRover said:
All irony and humor was lost though when Disney changed the ride to be more politically correct because according to some critics those scenes were degrading to women. So Disney changed that scene so that *all* of the chases had the ladies chasing away the Pirates.

But thats the way actual pirates were. I think better be historically correct than politically correct.

Mr Bill

Original Poster
It was nice to see the guns back, but to be honest, if they're going to use a recorded sound like that, I'd rather them just get rid of the effect.

maybe it depends on the boat? when I went on it a few weeks ago, went on it a few times, and each time the sound was not pre-recorded. the gun was a gun that used those little firecracker things(because different 'captains' fired different amounts of times and not all at the 'exact' location) and there was also smoke coming out of the guns(like that comes out when you use those firecracker things(cant remember what they are called). BUt I do remember when I was there in april , it was pre-recorded.. maybe some have it and some don't?

Frumpy

They don't shoot to kill the cute little Hippo anymore either, they shoot up in the air and scare him (her?) away.. it's not as tragic for all the little hippo loving guests that way :animwink:

MagliteL13

KilleriMac17 said:
maybe it depends on the boat? when I went on it a few weeks ago, went on it a few times, and each time the sound was not pre-recorded. the gun was a gun that used those little firecracker things(because different 'captains' fired different amounts of times and not all at the 'exact' location) and there was also smoke coming out of the guns(like that comes out when you use those firecracker things(cant remember what they are called). BUt I do remember when I was there in april , it was pre-recorded.. maybe some have it and some don't?

Okay, I'll set the record straight. The guns are all pre-recorded. They do have a lot of problems and no one seems to really like them. As for the delayed shot, I can't really think of something like that happening. Sometimes, you pull the trigger and no sound happens but other than that they either fire or don't. None of the boats use anything else.

Funny story relating to the guns... I went to go grab it out of the holster yesterday to do the hippo thing and it fired in the holster! Played the entire thing off like I just fired a shot into the boat. Anyways...I'm off to go encounter those hippos again...and again....and again....

MickeyTigg

Laura22 said:

Well...you know things get lost in the jungle....maybe it just took a while for the echo to find its way out of the out of the jungle.

:rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom