Jungle Cruise Forgotten Effects

Dragonman

Original Poster
I'd like to share some forgotten effects/animals from the Jungle Cruise. I'm not entirely sure where these figures are now or when exactly they were removed so feel free to comment and add on if I missed any other effects. Photo Credits go to Widen Your World.

Crocodiles attacking Horn-bill (Apparently from Disneyland but still interesting)
ParrotRedone.png

Frogs (Removed for being too silly looking)
jcfrogs.jpg

Gorilla slapping crocodile (Removed early possibly only tested, rock is still there and sometimes referred to the "world's largest pet rock" by the skipper)
jcdlgorcroc.jpg

Same rock today
jcgorcrocrbed.jpg

Crocodiles attacking frog (Scene was tested along railroad)
jccrocsfrog1.jpg

Butterflies (still in loading area but no longer working)
jcbutterfly1.jpg

KraftServices

Why not share the pictures of the original King Louie asking if he could join our boat? It was *totally* there.

And even though a Disney historian, the Disney archivist, a Jungle Cruise skipper, and many others say there was never such a thing, I'm going to insist until I'm blue in the face he was there and not accept in just misrembering something from 40 years ago!

For serious I was scared this thread was going to be a repeat of that one you're referencing. Glad it's not! It's really cool seeing the stuff that's no longer there. Those gorillas look really realistic, I wonder if they would hold up in person.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I remember that from the early 80's. Didn't he used to stand and wave where Trader Sam is now with his shrunken heads?

And even though a Disney historian, the Disney archivist, a Jungle Cruise skipper, and many others say there was never such a thing, I'm going to insist until I'm blue in the face he was there and not accept in just misrembering something from 40 years ago!

For serious I was scared this thread was going to be a repeat of that one you're referencing. Glad it's not! It's really cool seeing the stuff that's no longer there. Those gorillas look really realistic, I wonder if they would hold up in person.

It's become a bit of a joke now around here.

Castle Cake Apologist

I'd like to share some forgotten effects/animals from the Jungle Cruise. I'm not entirely sure where these figures are now or when exactly they were removed so feel free to comment and add on if I missed any other effects. Photo Credits go to Widen Your World.

Crocodiles attacking Horn-bill (Apparently from Disneyland but still interesting)
ParrotRedone.png

Frogs (Removed for being too silly looking)
jcfrogs.jpg

Gorilla slapping crocodile (Removed early possibly only tested, rock is still there and sometimes referred to the "world's largest pet rock" by the skipper)
jcdlgorcroc.jpg

Same rock today
jcgorcrocrbed.jpg

Crocodiles attacking frog (Scene was tested along railroad)
jccrocsfrog1.jpg

Butterflies (still in loading area but no longer working)
jcbutterfly1.jpg

Cool pictures, but there is a bit of misinformation in your post. Hopefully I can clear a few things up.

1. Gorilla and croc scene was planned for but was never actually installed in Magic Kingdom. Your picture is from the scene as it appears at Disneyland. The second picture that is labelled as "the same rock today," is not actually the same rock from the first picture at all (One is the actual scene in Disneyland, the other is the empty animation pit at Magic Kingdom where this scene was intended to go. It's pretty obvious if you look at it), but the picture is actually from an extensive refurbishment in 1973 and definitely not recent. The scene was planned for our attraction, but was never installed.

2. The gators and frog scene on the Rivers of America was not a scene being tested to be in Jungle Cruise. There was a scene developed for a phase two set of additions for WDW Jungle Cruise by Marc Davis that was never installed featuring crocodiles trying to get to a parrot standing on a stump. around the same time that the frogs were being removed from Jungle Cruise, park ops decided to enhance the scenery along the train route. Marc's original concept was dusted off and restaged to reuse one of the recently-removed Jungle Cruise frogs in place of the parrot, and the crocs became American Alligators. The crocs and parrot scene did eventually make it into Disneyland's Jungle Cruise in a slightly revised staging in 1976.

Last edited:

Dragonman

Original Poster
Cool pictures, but there is a bit of misinformation in your post. Hopefully I can clear a few things up.

1. Gorilla and croc were never installed in Magic Kingdom. Your picture is from Disneyland. The picture you have listed as "the same rock today," is not only not the same rock at all (One is the actual scene in Disneyland, the other is the empty animation pit at Magic Kingdom. It's pretty obvious if you look at it), but the picture you shared is from a refurbishment in 1973 and definitely not recent. The scene was planned for our attraction, but was never installed.

2. The gators and frog scene on the Rivers of America was not a scene being tested to be in Jungle Cruise. There was a scene developed for a phase two set of additions for Jungle Cruise by Marc Davis that was never installed featuring crocodiles trying to get to a parrot standing on a stump. around the same time that the frogs were being removed from Jungle Cruise, park ops decided to enhance the scenery along the train route. Marc's original concept was dusted off and restaged to reuse one of the recently-removed Jungle Cruise frogs in place of the parrot, and the crocs became American Alligators. The crocs and parrot scene did eventually make it into Disneyland in a slightly revised staging in 1976.
Thanks for the correct info. I'm still learning about these things and wanted to talk about them so sorry about the misinformation.

Simba's Mom

I remember as a child, having a view master that showed the skipper with a pistol, shooting the animal that popped up by the boat, and I think I remember that effect from the early years. Does anyone remember that, or did I dream it? If so, when/why did it go away? No longer become "politically correct"?

disneygeek90

I remember as a child, having a view master that showed the skipper with a pistol, shooting the animal that popped up by the boat, and I think I remember that effect from the early years. Does anyone remember that, or did I dream it? If so, when/why did it go away? No longer become "politically correct"?
I believe they used to shoot at the Hippos? I believe they still may do this in DL, but I'm not 100%.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yes, they used to fire blanks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom