June 3-9th increased crowd levels?

randomsoulshine

Original Poster
Summer is summer and I know last minute things like weather etc can affect crowds but any idea why a popular crowd calendar has increased crowd levels for June 3-9 and the weeks after drop to lower crowds? Gay Days ends June 3 this year so I didn't think that was the reason. What's done is done and I'm locked into dates, I've made FP's (easily got what we wanted)and ADR's and will rope drop each morning but was merely curious if I was missing something. Perhaps a special Disney ran that is just through June 9th or so? If there is something I'm missing it would be good to know for the next trip I plan. Thank you for any insight.

James J

In the Parks
No
Gay Days?

From the Gay Days site:

"The GayDayS celebration began in 1991 with a theme park visit, to this very day theme park visits remain one of the most popular GayDayS activities. Always the first Saturday in June, GayDayS at Disney's Magic Kingdom (at Walt Disney World) is still the signature event of the week. An estimated 50,000 red-shirted GayDayS attendees pack Walt Disney World's original park on that 1st Saturday in June. The 3 o'clock parade down Main Street always draws an unforgettable "sea of red" that can be seen from one end of the park to the other.

Many GayDayS vacationers also like to plan some time to visit Disney's other parks: Animal Kingdom, Epcot, and Disney's Hollywood Studios. Since celebrating the 25th Anniversary in 2015, vacationers have began to spread out all over Orlando visiting other area theme park and attractions: Universal Studios Orlando & Island of Adventures, SeaWorld Orlando, Discovery Cove, Legoland Florida, iDrive 360, and etc."

floridagirl57

This is anecdotal but Silver Passholders are blacked out for the summer months beginning June 5th. Last year I remember high crowds for the last weekend of the Silver Passholders, and once they were blacked out crowds dropped significantly. It was a pretty extreme difference from one weekend to the next.

correcaminos

Summer is summer and I know last minute things like weather etc can affect crowds but any idea why a popular crowd calendar has increased crowd levels for June 3-9 and the weeks after drop to lower crowds? Gay Days ends June 3 this year so I didn't think that was the reason. What's done is done and I'm locked into dates, I've made FP's (easily got what we wanted)and ADR's and will rope drop each morning but was merely curious if I was missing something. Perhaps a special Disney ran that is just through June 9th or so? If there is something I'm missing it would be good to know for the next trip I plan. Thank you for any insight.
Honestly I have no idea. The same calendar for similar days last year was off too. I look at a few and take an average as nor all sites agree. I think the one you are referencing has been not as accurate and these levels were created with TSL opening for June not at the end of June. Just look at what they have for Hollywood Studios. I personally think they're off again this year. Early June before all the schools nation wide really isn't bad.

randomsoulshine

Original Poster
Honestly I have no idea. The same calendar for similar days last year was off too. I look at a few and take an average as nor all sites agree. I think the one you are referencing has been not as accurate and these levels were created with TSL opening for June not at the end of June. Just look at what they have for Hollywood Studios. I personally think they're off again this year. Early June before all the schools nation wide really isn't bad.
We went the same week last year and it was wonderful. Yes we made smart use of rope drop and Fp but we still felt the crowds were bearable. Hoping that particular site is projecting a bit high. Thanks for the input !

correcaminos

We went the same week last year and it was wonderful. Yes we made smart use of rope drop and Fp but we still felt the crowds were bearable. Hoping that particular site is projecting a bit high. Thanks for the input !
There are some who think that early June will be lighter too this year. That one site is the outlier.

The last day of school for most counties in Florida is on or around June 1st this year.
Similar to last year and the year before. But many states go well into June such is why July is worse than June.

CaptainAmerica

I checked and they are slated to end June 3rd. So I guess there could still be impact but I doubt up to the 9th.
The only real crowd impact from Gay Days is the Saturday that they designate their Magic Kingdom day (June 2 this year). If you avoid MK that day, crowds shouldn't pop.

FWIW, I'm tracking June 1-9 for my trip and Disney just added morning Extra Magic Hours to Animal Kingdom every single day that week. So maybe they know something.

TARDIS

We go the same week 1-9th every year and it’s never been to crazy crowded in my opinion. Unless you overlap with the gay days park days the group doesn’t increase the crowds. So any stragglers shouldn’t make for heavy crowd levels after the event ends. I have noticed extra magic hours being added lately so I’m curious what’s diff this year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom