Judges say Disney can be sued over ride safety

1disneydood

What they should do is have a legal disclaimer on the back of the tickets and passes, and INSIST the ticket to be signed to gain park admission. Would that work?

Epcot82Guy

wannabeBelle said:
Hey all our legal eagles out there!!! I just checked my AP and right on the back of the ticket it says that any suits for injury etc must be litigated in Florida. Does this mean that the California ruling may not have any impact? Also lets say for discussion's sake that the family does sue and loses. Are they required to pay Disney Legal personnel and court costs?? Any other legal points that may be of interest? Belle

Nope. Very generally, that's a great thing called an adhesion agreement. If you read any contract, it is likely in there. However, because you aren't considered a "sophisticated party" (no offense!), most attorneys can get you out of those agreements. However, you would have to establish some other contact to California to bring a suit against Disney there. Disney is easy to establish contact-wise, but a Florida resident would have a more difficult time to just sue.

Another problem we have here, though, is that the majority of people will not see this as a "California Supreme Court" decision, and they will become more sue happy. This does two things: 1. Increases the amount Disney will have to settle to keep the media and press down (b/c we all know that the Press can twist just about anything, making a meritless claim into the end for Disney World) and 2. It increases Disney's court costs for litigating these cases. Generally, America follows the "American Rule" (intuitive, huh!) where each party pays his or her own attorney's fees. Disney generally pays in house a salary, but if they have to go outside the company, they pay. Several states have enacted statutes that allow for fees to be awarded for various reasons, though. The intricacies are more complex, but that is the VERY GENERAL rule (i.e. any other attorneys, please don't attack me! I'm just a 1L! :D ).

As a general rule, California is perhaps the most "unique" (i.e. nice word for insanely stupid) body of law in the country. The way it operates is like no other state in the Union. Therefore, from a legal perspective in courts, this will likely not have much effect except possibly for Disney vs. California residents or for people visiting Disneyland. However, outside the law itself, we may see something of this that may not be pretty.

Hope that helps!

Epcot82Guy

1disneydood said:
What they should do is have a legal disclaimer on the back of the tickets and passes, and INSIST the ticket to be signed to gain park admission. Would that work?

Just on a note. Those signatures are actually quite easy to get around in court. Unless you fully understood the terms and had "consideration" for them of some type, you usually aren't bound.

Tom

Beta Return
1disneydood said:

They can do anything - but these idiot judges and plaintiffs will continue to try to find every loophole to get something for nothing.

I think I'm going to sue Ford because I was driving down the road in their automobile and drove through a deep pothole - causing me to hit my head on the door, which gave me a huge headache. This is definately Ford's fault!!!!

swincha

hakunamatata said:
Yes, said judges are idiots......

no actually its disney's responsibility to keep its riders safe. if a ride can kill someone it needs to be shut down. they do not have the right to have rides that are dangerous like this. lawsuits will keep them in check and they will be forced not to have rides that can kill people.

swincha

wannabeBelle said:
Hey all our legal eagles out there!!! I just checked my AP and right on the back of the ticket it says that any suits for injury etc must be litigated in Florida. Does this mean that the California ruling may not have any impact? Also lets say for discussion's sake that the family does sue and loses. Are they required to pay Disney Legal personnel and court costs?? Any other legal points that may be of interest? Belle

well most likely they will never get it. jurisdiction doesnt' depend on what your ticket says. since they have parks in other areas california can be the jurisdication if the person chooses to sue there.

peter11435

swincha said:
no actually its disney's responsibility to keep its riders safe. if a ride can kill someone it needs to be shut down. they do not have the right to have rides that are dangerous like this. lawsuits will keep them in check and they will be forced not to have rides that can kill people.
Im just gonna say it. Your an idiot and have no clue what your talking about.

swincha

1disneydood said:

do you work for disney?

peter11435

swincha said:
and you do? you like slinging the idiot word out there.
I don't make accusations that have absolutely no facts to support them. Give me an example of a ride that has "killed" someone.

MagliteL13

swincha said:
do you work for disney?

Why do I sense an arqument coming?

swincha said:

And Disney does do it's part in keeping the riders safe. A good recent example are the automated gates for the monorails. Speaking of the monorails, there's the "Please stand clear" announcement. What about all the announcements and gating and signage inside of the parks? The only thing dangerous about the attractions are the people who ride them! If you go on Big Thunder and decide to stand up after being told not to or ride M:S if you do have a fear of dark, enclosed spaces, spinning, simulators, or anything else they WARN you about, dagnabbit, it's your own fault!

MagliteL13

peter11435 said:
I don't make accusations that have absolutely no facts to support them. Give me an example of a ride that has "killed" someone.

Maybe he's thinking of this park in California that has this ride called, oh I don't know, "The Terminator." It's like the tea cups but involves a bunch of spinning blades and maybe a hammer or two!

READ: Sarcasm.

Sorry, this entire talk of rides killing people makes it sound like there's some ride out there that only does that! Now that's what I call a roller coaster to hell!

daveemtdave

TTATraveler said:
I agree with you 100%, but with the way our society is, theme parks and amusement parks will probably be responsible for anything. Next thing you know, when some idiot goes on a thrill ride after eating a big lunch, then looses his/her lunch on the ride:hurl:, the park will have to reimburse the customer for their food cost. :rolleyes::D

Was at Cedar Point and was sitting under The Rapter and this really did happen. Talk about a 'chain' reaction. We now go to a different food stand. LOL

On a serious note - anyone can sue - but can they prove their claim.

AndyP

If a death was due to a mechanical failure, or negligence of behlaf of the company involved, fine SUE, but due to shaking !!!?? I think they'll just have to change the warning signs.

Testtrack321

FigmentFreak said:
Hi - I'm a long-time lurker, but just wanted to comment on this issue. I worked at Six Flags in Ride Ops for 8 years so I feel I have atleast some perspective on both sides of the issue.

I think an amusement park should only be held liable for ride safety as it pertains to what is within their control such as maintenance, improper training of employees, or ride failure of some sort.

They should not be held accountable for idiot guests who refuse to obey the rules, diagnosed or undiagnosed medical conditions (as long as signage like what is currently present with warnings is clearly posted).

Just my opinion

Totally agree.

TTATraveler

swincha said:

So if I am in need of a triple bypass, have high blood pressure, smoke and drink, and have high cholesterol and decide to go on the Haunted Mansion, and one of the pop ups from behind the tombstones in the graveyard scene scares me, and as a result I die, I guess by your line of thinking Disney should shut the ride down beacuse it is dangerous and killed me.

Sorry for the run on sentence, but given the right circumstances and conditions, any ride can be deadly including getting behind your wheel and drive. That does not mean all rides should be shut down cause they could kill someone, or we stop driving, since that can be deadly as well.

If a mechanical malfunction occurs where a theme park is clearly to blame for a death due to negligence, that is a different story.

imagineer boy

This topic is going to go up there with Gay Days, Political, and Universal vs. Disney threads that can't be discussed without an argurment. Can't we all PLEASE just get along??????

imagineer boy

swincha said:

Please. People die on rides alot of times in parks other than Disney. The ride has been open for a few years now, and if no one until now dies then its pretty safe. It was just an accident that the kid died. If fifteen people have died since it opened, then it obviously has a problem.

Mimi

I must agree with the underdog here. (Kudos to you for standing your ground!) Disney is responsible for the safety of its guests, plain and simple, unless there is really outlandish behavior going on.

I also agree with everyone else that Disney sets a higher standard for itself than it is generally required to. However, unpredictable things can happen in which case Disney must accept resposibility. People literally put their lives into the hands of Disney when they get on their rides and expect to live through the experience. If one person in 10 million is hurt on a ride than Disney is liable for that one person's injuries, again unless the guest clearly disregarded the warnings.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom