Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

Disstevefan1

What, don’t you remember how the hurricane shut down all construction for FOURTEEN MONTHS? Nothing at all Disney could do about it. Completely powerless. You know it’s true, because no one else in Orlando was building during that time, either.
Pandemic, hurricanes, floods, famine, locust, Chapek, whatever, it's taking too long to get this disappointing (attraction?) finished.

Incomudro

You know, I had a longer post, but at this point it’s enough to say that the way Disney and it’s staunchest defenders exploit the pandemic is just shameless.
It's not an excuse, or exploitation.
WDW builds are slow, very slow - no argument there.
But covid restriction tacked on a good two years to construction.

Epcot82Guy

I just can't agree with that. There is no doubt it impacted it, but it was a choice by Disney for this long a delay. There were a good number of things built and finished during the pandemic. The parks were open. Disney has preference with its contractors. I'm not saying the pandemic was a factor. But it was a financial choice by Disney. Not an inevitable outcome or an excuse. Your car breaking down is an issue. You choosing not to fix it for 6 months or use alternative transportation is a choice. And I think that's an important distinction, especially as this drags on even more.

Incomudro

I just can't agree with that. There is no doubt it impacted it, but it was a choice by Disney for this long a delay. There were a good number of things built and finished during the pandemic. The parks were open. Disney has preference with its contractors. I'm not saying the pandemic was a factor. But it was a financial choice by Disney. Not an inevitable outcome or an excuse. Your car breaking down is an issue. You choosing not to fix it for 6 months or use alternative transportation is a choice. And I think that's an important distinction, especially as this drags on even more.
Right...
So, a good two years of it was due to covid.

J4546

I can't wait for this to open! Sucks it won't be open in Nov when I go to epcot but I'll be back next year to check it out

_caleb

Moans’a Journey of Dancing Waters

1A7EBED0-4D57-4EFE-90F8-C1DE766F11E6.jpeg

lazyboy97o

Right...
So, a good two years of it was due to covid.
Walt Disney World was closed for months, not years. Reedy Creek Improvement District projects continued. Nothing stopped Disney from continuing but themselves. This project was dragged out more because it was just a byproduct of something only Iger wanted and never made much sense, but they were already ripping down the building.

DonniePeverley

Walt Disney World was closed for months, not years. Reedy Creek Improvement District projects continued. Nothing stopped Disney from continuing but themselves. This project was dragged out more because it was just a byproduct of something only Iger wanted and never made much sense, but they were already ripping down the building.

Universal / Comcast CEO has already said they regretted halting construction of Epic Universe during the pandemic, when they need not have.

There was no need to stop construction on this - especially as you've rendered virtually a mass chunk of the park into a horrific construction site. It's not akin to some corner or little area - this is literally a central piece of the park.

Utter disgraceful.

DonniePeverley

Comcast CEO Brian Roberts added, "If I look back over Covid, one of the things I wish we could redo was slowing down Epic, because I agree... this is a business that if you build wonderful attractions, there is pent-up demand. We're going to make a fabulous park at Epic, and we're full steam. We're going as fast as we can now to make up for lost time."

https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/202201/8743/

Centauri Space Station

Comcast CEO Brian Roberts added, "If I look back over Covid, one of the things I wish we could redo was slowing down Epic, because I agree... this is a business that if you build wonderful attractions, there is pent-up demand. We're going to make a fabulous park at Epic, and we're full steam. We're going as fast as we can now to make up for lost time."

https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/202201/8743/
Well exposing more workers to COVID for a profit is a great reason

DoleWhipDrea

I wish things were progressing faster myself, but something that I don't see get mentioned enough on these boards is the fact that prices on materials have skyrocketed higher since they were pre-COVID (let alone their availability.) There's a reason why so many homes are under construction now as opposed to a year ago - wait times have been backed up on shipping just about everything. So no, it's not just about the population getting sick (and they still do, which has backed up our ports) - it's an unfortunate domino effect.

DonniePeverley

I wish things were progressing faster myself, but something that I don't see get mentioned enough on these boards is the fact that prices on materials have skyrocketed higher since they were pre-COVID (let alone their availability.) There's a reason why so many homes are under construction now as opposed to a year ago - wait times have been backed up on shipping just about everything. So no, it's not just about the population getting sick (and they still do, which has backed up our ports) - it's an unfortunate domino effect.

What materials ? They aren't building the Eiffel Tower or the Taj Mahaal - it's just rocks and some trees. There is no shortage of trees in Florida.

There is simply no excuse, on this momentous year for Epcot, to simply have the park likely to be covered in construction for near on half a decade.

James Alucobond

What materials ? They aren't building the Eiffel Tower or the Taj Mahaal - it's just rocks and some trees. There is no shortage of trees in Florida.
I'm not going to defend the timeline since it's indeed quite slow and it seems they intended to draw it out even before the pandemic, but c'mon, dude. They're not just lifting and shifting existing rock formations.

DoleWhipDrea

I'm going to have to assume that you have no idea what sorts of materials theme parks use to build things like this...the construction is significantly more complicated an still requires things such as steel structures. Plumbing. Artistically shaping concrete, painting it to last outdoors in the intense Florida sun and rain (not just dumping some rocks.) And if you think all of that foliage is going to be real trees, well...

DonniePeverley

I'm going to have to assume that you have no idea what sorts of materials theme parks use to build things like this...the construction is significantly more complicated an still requires things such as steel structures. Plumbing. Artistically shaping concrete, painting it to last outdoors in the intense Florida sun and rain (not just dumping some rocks.) And if you think all of that foliage is going to be real trees, well...

Shudder the thought then if they attempted to build a new park then.

LittleBuford

There was no need to stop construction on this
I won’t defend how long it’s taking, but I think it’s worth remembering how things were in the weeks and even months after March 2000, when pretty much all nonessential work in every industry was discouraged and the outdoor transmissibility of the virus was often thought to be much higher than it turned out to be. It’s no surprise to me that construction projects were paused in this context; indeed, many of us (myself included) would have criticised Disney had they not been.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom