Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

CaptainAmerica

Swiss Family is located right on the main path through the park, every guest passes it. That isn't true of Moana, which is off to the side of most guest paths. Additionally, Swiss has a clear gimmick - wandering through actually tree tops. I don't think Moana's gimmick - fountains - is anywhere near as unique or as much of a draw. Plus, Swiss is a key classic Disney attraction with a long history, although how much that counts for at this point is unclear.
Moana's gimmick is Moana. Moana is Lion King-tier in terms of public consciousness. Most people under 40 have never seen Swiss Family Robinson and most of those that have find it offensive.

(I'm not including myself in this, as I love Swiss Family Robinson despite it being a bit rapey and arguably racist.)

Casper Gutman

Moana's gimmick is Moana. Moana is Lion King-tier in terms of public consciousness. Most people under 40 have never seen Swiss Family Robinson and most of those that have find it offensive.

(I'm not including myself in this, as I love Swiss Family Robinson despite it being a bit rapey and arguably racist.)
I like Moana a lot too, but what will the Moana elements consist of in this attraction? Static figures? AAs seem unlikely, certainly, and it won't be a meet n' greet at opening. Clever, subtle touches might appeal to me but don't seem like the direction Disney is likely to go and wouldn't be a huge draw in any case.

As a side note, I really question the idea that Moana is "Lion King-tier" - the only modern Disney animated release to clearly reach that lofty level is Frozen. Heck, Encanto has a greater claim (although I don't think a valid one) thanks to the wild success of Bruno. That said, Moana is unquestionably very popular.

CaptainAmerica

1661452132186.png

Casper Gutman

What is the source of this? It has a lot of really odd placements, and the criteria is unclear. For instance, Princess and the Frog is a great film and one of my favorites, but its box office killed traditional Disney animation. A Bug's Life is in no way, shape, or form A-list, nor is Pocahontas B. This really seems to be some random person's opinion.

PS: There are so many problems with this chart it hardly seems worth discussing them, but Soul needs to be much higher.

PPS: I can't stop... Toy Story 2 at C? That's just nuts. And given the placement of Lightyear and Seeing Red, I think I might be able to make some guesses as to the ulterior motives of the chart's author.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

I don't know who made that, but there's no way the Jungle Book and especially Winnie the Pooh are behind something like A Bug's Life. I think Winnie the Pooh still makes more money for Disney than almost anything.

EDIT: And the Rescuers as a D? That movie was a massive success, to the point that it's one of the few Disney films that actually got a theatrical sequel.

CaptainAmerica

What is the source of this? It has a lot of really odd placements, and the criteria is unclear. For instance, Princess and the Frog is a great film and one of my favorites, but its box office killed traditional Disney animation. A Bug's Life is in no way, shape, or form A-list, nor is Pocahontas B. This really seems to be some random person's opinion.

PS: There are so many problems with this chart it hardly seems worth discussing them, but Soul needs to be much higher.

PPS: I can't stop... Toy Story 2 at C? That's just nuts. And given the placement of Lightyear and Seeing Red, I think I might be able to make some guesses as to the ulterior motives of the chart's author.

I don't know who made that, but there's no way the Jungle Book and especially Winnie the Pooh are behind something like A Bug's Life. I think Winnie the Pooh still makes more money for Disney than almost anything.

EDIT: And the Rescuers as a D? That movie was a massive success, to the point that it's one of the few Disney films that actually got a theatrical sequel.
troll-face-steamboat-willie.gif

Nobody has seen Soul. Nobody under 40 has seen The Rescuers. Five people saw Lightyear and those that did hated it. The list is not about quality or box office success, it's about marketability in 2022. And it's entirely made up by me, mostly to make random people on the Internet mad.

UNCgolf

The list is not about quality or box office success, it's about marketability in 2022. And it's entirely made up by me, mostly to make random people on the Internet mad.

Well Pooh is definitely S tier in that criteria -- I actually think Pooh might be in its own separate tier above and beyond every other Disney film property.

Also I'm under 40 and I've seen the Rescuers!

If your goal was to make people mad, though, I think you failed?

Last edited:

Casper Gutman

troll-face-steamboat-willie.gif

Nobody has seen Soul. Nobody under 40 has seen The Rescuers. Five people saw Lightyear and those that did hated it. The list is not about quality or box office success, it's about marketability in 2022. And it's entirely made up by me, mostly to make random people on the Internet mad.
So I was right about the ulterior motives. And as a ranking of marketability, it's awful. I mean, you have Zootopia and Atlantis in the same tier...

Making people on the internet mad is really easy. Most are mad already. You seem to be putting way too much effort into it.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Anyways...

World Nature...Moana...water...the water cycle. The link is pretty clear and doesn't need analyzation. It is common sense stuff. If you're gonna add IP into World Nature, she is gonna be it.

It will be about the execution and edutainment value for me. But either way, I am sure plenty people will be walking through as they make their way into/out of that neighborhood. At minimum, it will be very pretty.

CaptainAmerica

So I was right about the ulterior motives. And as a ranking of marketability, it's awful. I mean, you have Zootopia and Atlantis in the same tier...
Zootopia and Atlantis are absolutely the same tier unless you're in Japan, which I'm not.

Making people on the internet mad is really easy. Most are mad already. You seem to be putting way too much effort into it.
Idk it took me 5 minutes and worked so...

Casper Gutman

Anyways...

World Nature...Moana...water...the water cycle. The link is pretty clear and doesn't need analyzation. It is common sense stuff. If you're gonna add IP into World Nature, she is gonna be it.

It will be about the execution and edutainment value for me. But either way, I am sure plenty people will be walking through as they make their way into/out of that neighborhood
The link isn't really clear at all... the "World Nature" designation is entirely arbitrary with no physical or geographical existence within the park itself, purely the creation of a board-room. Moana and its rockwork will be the only "natural" structure in the entire front half of the park, completely out of place. So I think the link bears analysis.

And I question how heavily travelled the side route leading from the hub past Moana will actually be. Won't it be primarily travelled by the very small number of guests planning to start a visit with Nemo? Won't most still take the wider, more prominent path leading right from the center of the core? If Disney were keeping the path from the entry plaza to Seas open, the placement might make a little more sense.

Incomudro

It is a walk-through attraction with a few interactive elements but mostly you're likely to just be looking at stuff. It is not a new concept.
And certainly not new for Disney.
Part of the reason I like it is exactly that. This reminds me of the old style Disney.
There are so many complaints here about Disney ushering in new, shiny, spinning, mindless entertainment.
Here we have a thoughtful, naturalistic, go at your own pace attraction.
I like that.

Vegas Disney Fan

And certainly not new for Disney.
Part of the reason I like it is exactly that. This reminds me of the old style Disney.
There are so many complaints here about Disney ushering in new, shiny, spinning, mindless entertainment.
Here we have a thoughtful, naturalistic, go at your own pace attraction.
I like that.
Well said, the Disney parks are amazing because they are parks, not concrete jungles. We spend as much time enjoying the environment as we spend enjoying the rides.

Compared to the useless sea of concrete that used to inhabit this area we are ecstatic for this change.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom