Journey into Your Imagination

Strawberryblond

I rode this ride for my first and last time on my honeymoon in '94. My husband made horrible fun of it but I would sing the "imagination" tune to him to make him laugh for years after. When we took my DS to WDW in '99, he was 2 and I was really looking forward to taking him on that ride, thought he would really appreciate it fully. Plus I loved seeing the photos of people who didn't expect to be snapped. Sadly it had just closed so they could ruin it. We are going back in Dec. of this year so it looks like we missed the second version. I hope the third version is up and running when we go and that figment is back. I think the kids are going to love it!

hallowboy11

As April is now rolling around... has anyone received word on the opening of the new JIYI??!

I can't wait.. although I have to say I enjoyed several of the tricks in the last update. The train scene in pitch black was AWESOME! Gave me goose-bumps every time! I also liked the the upside down scene.

I still agree it needs an overhaul... but it definitely wasn't as bad as it was made out to be!

gcurling

but it definitely wasn't as bad as it was made out to be!
hmmm... I can't think of another instance when WDW opened a brand new attraction and turned around and completely shut it down two years later becuase of low attendance and high guest complaints.

Even Marty Sklar has been quoted as saying "we really missed with that one."

Yeh, I think it was that bad.

Thespis

It was that bad.
I spent the entire ride wondering why anyone thought this was better than the original attraction then with no warning, had my eyes assaulted by Xenon strobes at the end. I never complain but went straight to guest services and wrote about a page.
It was that bad.

hallowboy11

Originally posted by gcurling
hmmm... I can't think of another instance when WDW opened a brand new attraction and turned around and completely shut it down two years later becuase of low attendance and high guest complaints.

Even Marty Sklar has been quoted as saying "we really missed with that one."

Yeh, I think it was that bad.

Hey.. I was just adding my opinion. So, maybe I'm in the minority. No reason to be sarcastic and snide.

gcurling

I wasn't making use of sarcasm at all. I, too, was expressing an opinion. A strong one. One that happened to be opposite of yours, that's all.

JIYI (in it's most recent incarnation) was among the least well received attractions in WDW history. Part of the reason was that it replaced an attraction that was a big fan favorite. The other part of the reason was that it was an incohesive mish-mash of an attraction that left most guests very flat.

Rarely has WDW ever shut down an attraction in such rapid fashion and essentially said, "Boy, we really blew it." That's what happened here. Even Michael Eisner thought it was awful. Thank goodness for that, otherwise it might still be open.

Nope, not being sarcastic at all - rather totally honest and straight forward. I DO believe it was that bad. In fact, all things considered, don't think it really could have been much worse.

Legacy

Yeah it could be worse.

Bill Gates could take the place of Nigel... imagine listening to that dork for 10 minutes.:hammer:

wyattkelly

Originally posted by Testtrack321
That's why I use a Mac.:)

Heehee. There's an idea...Get Steve Jobs involved in Journey Into Imagination. Use IMACs for computers, and have Figment painted with an apple on his chest!

Luau Cove

Can anyone state for sure what this ride will be about? We know Dreamfinder was discontinued for this idea, so the old ride isn't coming back. However, the possibilities of the Institute are more likely to continue, but how does Figment filters into the Institute Idea and how could they make a much better ride with these basically similar characteristics?

-->luau

TinkerBell9988

Hey Luau and every1 else interested... I got this info from figmentsimagination.com, and this is all it said about the new attraction:

"Here's what we know IS happening...
1.) One Little Spark theme song is returning.
2.) DreamFinder is NOT returning.
3.) Original ride track as it is now is not being altered.
4.) The story line of the ride will be that Figment is going to take over control of the ride shortly after it begins. You will ride through existing sets that will make up Figment's house. The final scene will have many Figments, some animatronic, others will be stationary.
5.) Budget for the makeover is $7.5 million.
6.) Still supposed to open Summer 2002.
FYI: The original Journey Into Imagination was redone because of a contract between Kodak and Disney that stated the ride would be redone in the year 2000. The original JII was not discontinued because of lack of interest. "

Maybe there won't be many changes in the setting or the Imagination Institute. I guess we will have to wait and see until more news comes out....

WDWManic

1.) One Little Spark theme song is returning.
2.) DreamFinder is NOT returning.
3.) Original ride track as it is now is not being altered.
4.) The story line of the ride will be that Figment is going to take over control of the ride shortly after it begins. You will ride through existing sets that will make up Figment's house. The final scene will have many Figments, some animatronic, others will be stationary.
5.) Budget for the makeover is $7.5 million.
6.) Still supposed to open Summer 2002.
FYI: The original Journey Into Imagination was redone because of a contract between Kodak and Disney that stated the ride would be redone in the year 2000. The original JII was not discontinued because of lack of interest. "

Luau Cove

I knew some of that, but thanks , really.
I think that the budget , considering there is no need of construction is quite a significant summ. What I really want to know is who is in charge of this project and if they are going to re-model the new ,and also awful, Image Works.

-->luau

foxfire

IDK- I can understand the budget reasons behind keeping the current sets- but isn't adding Figment a "fix"? Don't get me wrong, I'm very glad he's coming back to the ride--but I'm still a fan of the original.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom