Jolly Holiday Ride

Alex Parsons

Helllo everyone, I've posted before about this concept I've been working on in the past year but since I intend to keep on working it I figured it'd be nice to have one place to keep posting. I have a full page on my website www.themeparkconcepts.com for exhaustive detail. So first the images you've already seen: View attachment 182781
View attachment 182780
View attachment 182779

And now what this post is actually about and my favorite thing to work on. Concept plan! So yeah here's the overhead view. There's a few things I'm not a hundred percent satisfied with but this is the most refined version I have. I would probably place both maintenance areas in the same place on the next go around.

View attachment 182782
And the intended placement. Yes it would involve the demolition of millennium village. But that needs to go. Enough land would be left for a new pavilion though.

View attachment 182783
So yeah that's all for now. Feedback is great! Thanks,

Omg I LOVE this ride concept. The UK Pavillion needs a Mary Poppins ride. I love that this ride actually puts the rider into the story, for example, the ride car actually goes ON the Carousel instead of past it. The only issue I noticed is that the queue may not be big enough? I was trying to work out what the ride system is; Is it a boat or a Peter-Pans-Flight style system? or both? Something I though might be cool is if the umbrella on the cart was over the heads of the riders and opened when they go through the storm and closed when the ride goes into the painting, it could distract the riders from the fact that they're leaving the painting world. This really is an exceptional ride idea and it would be a shame for it to never come to life.

kap91

Original Poster
Omg I LOVE this ride concept. The UK Pavillion needs a Mary Poppins ride. I love that this ride actually puts the rider into the story, for example, the ride car actually goes ON the Carousel instead of past it. The only issue I noticed is that the queue may not be big enough? I was trying to work out what the ride system is; Is it a boat or a Peter-Pans-Flight style system? or both? Something I though might be cool is if the umbrella on the cart was over the heads of the riders and opened when they go through the storm and closed when the ride goes into the painting, it could distract the riders from the fact that they're leaving the painting world. This really is an exceptional ride idea and it would be a shame for it to never come to life.
Thanks. :). The queue should be plenty big enough, it's the size of a small soundstage. Should hold about an hours worth of people - though one day I might get around to doing proper calculations.

The ride system is basically an updated version of the ET Adventure system. Very similar just with rotation and some motion abilities.

kap91

Original Poster
I can't resist posting progress updates, so here's a teaser of what I'm attempting to spend my time doing in the next several months.
Screen Shot 2017-08-09 at 5.20.01 PM.png

kap91

Original Poster
I’ve gone back to basics and been doing some graphite sketches lately. First we have a London Sunset and the drawing the vehicles will enter. And then we have two scenes that share a space with riding the carousel and jumping off. As always I greatly appreciate feedback.

F2FE70BB-82B4-4CDC-A1A8-84E5AC6F1BB9.jpeg

43DC7604-0303-4BB2-9BD5-D00FAC27034C.jpeg

kap91

Original Poster
Hey Everyone! Here it is, the eighth wonder of the world, the one, and only, I'm finally freaking done final product! I can't think of a better way to celebrate Walt Disney World's and Epcot's birthdays than a new attraction. I can't wait for all you all to see it and let me know what you think. I think you'll really enjoy it. Go have fun!

kap91

Original Poster
Y'know, @kap91, I think I recall you mentioning you plan to become an Imagineer in the future. Well, I hope "the future" is soon, because I wanna ride this thing so bad! And believe me, Mary Poppins deserves so much more than another dumb spinny thing.
Well this project was a big piece in the several step plan, so i guess it depends on your definition of "soon" :) . And thanks...there's definitely a fantasy scenario in my head where someone in power sees this and steals the idea and makes it happen.

kap91

Original Poster
is that SketchUp?
Quite a few different things were used for the whole project. That initial fly through is a sketchup model that was rendered using the twilight plugin. Everything in the video was modeled with sketchup up - but the ride through portion was exported to No Limits 2 (a roller coaster design game/software) so I could more easily shape the track and move the camera - along with being able to script scenery elements and the ride vehicle.

kap91

Original Poster
Hey Everyone! A quick update in regards to this project. It got me into grad school! I just recently accepted a fellowship to attend SCAD and get my MFA in themed entertainment design! My plans to take over the theme park world are one step closer Muwahahahaha!

Thanks all for you kind words, feedback, and encouragement since this project started!

DisneyManOne

Hey Everyone! A quick update in regards to this project. It got me into grad school! I just recently accepted a fellowship to attend SCAD and get my MFA in themed entertainment design! My plans to take over the theme park world are one step closer Muwahahahaha!

Thanks all for you kind words, feedback, and encouragement since this project started!

My utmost congratulations to you! I certainly hope that this means that real-life "Jolly Holidays" will be coming to Epcot in the future!

AceAstro

Congrats!! That is very exciting!

Can’t wait to just see this project announced at D23 in a few years ;)

mickeyfan5534

Coming over to my neck of the woods then

spacemt354

Chili's

A bit late - but congratulations!! This project was a slam dunk from the start I'm glad it was able to take you far and all the best in the next step of your journey!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom