John Wayne Ranked Best Large Airport

OliveMcFly

My first trip I flew in to John Wayne. Last year we flew in to LAX. I'm fine with both but John Wayne feels like a more relaxed arrival.

TP2000

You can take her easy there, uh pilgrim?

I'm here sipping my first morning coffee, and I read that and thought "Serioiusly, what the heck is he on?"...

But then I realized what you've done there and that I was being dense, and am reminded how terribly clever you can be. Bravo!

The great thing about John Wayne is that it's laid out perfectly and extremely efficiently; a quick straight-line walk from jet to terminal to baggage claim to parking/Uber. Once you get in your car, 3 minutes later you are on the 12 lanes of the east/west San Diego Freeway and 300 yards from onramp to the 55 Orange Freeway going north. 20 minutes later you are pulling up to the Disneyland Hotel front drive.

0510042_1.jpg

That John Wayne Airport has done a great job in the last 20 years expanding the terminal and parking, and keeping all interiors fresh and clean with local and relevant food and retail, with a typical happy-shiny Orange County service level, is the icing on the cake. And why John Wayne is consistently ranked as one of America's best mid-size airports decade after decade.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

I remember when SNA was basically a bus terminal and we would fly there from Oakland on Air California, the official airline of Disneyland.

Stevek

I work 2 blocks away from John Wayne, have flown out of there and dropped/picked up folks many times there. Always easy. I do prefer Ontario though but the challenge is getting less expensive flights or flight without connections from there.

Phroobar

I work 2 blocks away from John Wayne, have flown out of there and dropped/picked up folks many times there. Always easy. I do prefer Ontario though but the challenge is getting less expensive flights or flight without connections from there.
John Wayne is a lot of fun during take offs and landings. In order to reduce jet noise, the pilot has to do a fairly dangerous but routine take off and landing by taking off straight up before turning around over the ocean. During landings, they have to noise dive in to the runway at a really steep angle.

Rich T

If John Wayne really is better than the wonderful PDX in Portland, I'll be impressed.

Worst airport for me is Vegas. It's like the Biff version of Hill Valley in Back to the Future 2.

BAChicagoGal

I fly from Chicago's Ohare Airport, and I always fly into John Wayne Airport. I don't mind Ohare. I love John Wayne. I absolutely detest the Orlando Airport when I vacation at WDW. It is a necessary evil. Very confusing place. Although Magical Express is a great Perk.

Curious Constance

If John Wayne really is better than the wonderful PDX in Portland, I'll be impressed.

Worst airport for me is Vegas. It's like the Biff version of Hill Valley in Back to the Future 2.

I live not far from Portland, so it's my home airport. It seems fine enough. But what makes it so great?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Modern mid sized airports almost always feel better than the Laxs of the world for two reasons. Newer and less crowded. The crowd management is almost always the number one thing people remember about an airport.

Ranking Orlando high seems... odd. I find the airport bad to forgettable at its high end.

I've been through so many airports the city names begin to fade. San is nice as it's not crowded and fresh. Long Beach was fun... especially for people under 30 with no idea how air travel was before big security, de regulation, etc.

Crowds and age are really the biggest deltas. That and how crazy people want to get for food. SFO is s great example... people rave about the food because it's all kinds of unique off center stuff. That's fine, but can I still just get simple fast food??? Not there :/

Jedi Stitch

I flew into LAX twice to go to Disneyland. The only reason back then was the buss shuttle system from hotels to airport was basically set up for just LAX. The last time we flew, we did John Wayne. Awesome. you are just 8-10 miles away from the park. Lots of transportation options now.

George Lucas on a Bench

The Orlando airport used to have this amazing Universal Studios gift shop with charming displays based on the attractions. There was even a giant King Kong head in the wall. Here I am in the early 90s before they ruined it with renovations:

1936588_191067818008_1018840_n.jpg
1936588_191067898008_5393115_n.jpg

Look at that charming window in the background. The note on the wall was from Quint and said he was sharking. Just a reminder, they destroyed all of that.

Curious Constance

The Orlando airport used to have this amazing Universal Studios gift shop with charming displays based on the attractions. There was even a giant King Kong head in the wall. Here I am in the early 90s before they ruined it with renovations:

View attachment 233929 View attachment 233930

Look at that charming window in the background. The note on the wall was from Quint and said he was sharking. Just a reminder, they destroyed all of that.
Were you on your way to your shift at the railroad?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom