Joe Rohde on how Avatar fits within Disney's Animal Kingdom

ElreTigo

I'm not even sure what was said in the video, I was just staring at his ear the entire time like :eek:
I like Joe, but also have a hard time focusing on anything said when the earlobe gets to flapping. If that's what he likes, so be it. No condemnation from me. But it's certainly hard to not get distracted. Kinda reminds me of when you're cutting off a slice of pizza, and the cheese is so thick it just keeps stretching further & further in resistance as it clings to the rest of the pie.

Rteetz

The marketing people probably keep a bag a of grey ones around and slap them on any executive or imagineer when they need to do a photo or video shoot.
I have seen other non marketing photos and video of Joe wearing a grey magicband. Like when a person sees him at AKL or something.

180º

Joe Rohde can justify anything to some people.
This is a bit general and indirect. I respect your opinion, HMF. If you have a differing perspective, by all means make your case.

Do you refer to those of us who agree with Rohde's reasoning for Avatar being in AK? As for me, I'm satisfied with it, but I disagree with many other of his artistic choices, and not just GOTG.

HMF

This is a bit general and indirect. I respect your opinion, HMF. If you have a differing perspective, by all means make your case.

Do you refer to those of us who agree with Rohde's reasoning for Avatar being in AK? As for me, I'm satisfied with it, but I disagree with many other of his artistic choices, and not just GOTG.
I still feel that the Avatar thing was a desperate move by Iger to combat Potter by snatching a "hot IP" (Which it is not but I digress.) This is about marketing first and they came up with a creative excuse to shove it into DAK and deprives us of getting an original concept like Beastly Kingdom.

dgp602

I can't believe all that crap hanging from his ear hasn't ripped out yet.

The depth of details in AK are amazing. I hope that Avatar becomes an extension of Joe's good work not the demise of his legacy.
LOL I was thinking the same thing...I was so distracted by those weighted down earrings! But the man is talented!!!!

wdrive

How'd I know that the first response to this would be someone taking a shot at Joe's situation. What a tabloid mess... Is anyone really happier knowing the sordid innuendo? I mean, I lurked around here for over a decade before posting because it was a great source of information about projects and upcoming WDW related stuff. Now, you have to sort through pages of garbage like the above to figure out what's actually important. Do you guys buy the National Enquirer and Sun at the supermarket?

Anyway as stated in another thread. Good for Joe, I know he's proud of this project and it'll be interesting to see what he reveals in future videos. I'm still a bit fuzzy on the story details, but what's in the land physically is a world beater.

Sorry, discussion on this discussion board is illegal. Hard facts and news only.

Bolt

I like Joe, but also have a hard time focusing on anything said when the earlobe gets to flapping. If that's what he likes, so be it. No condemnation from me. But it's certainly hard to not get distracted. Kinda reminds me of when you're cutting off a slice of pizza, and the cheese is so thick it just keeps stretching further & further in resistance as it clings to the rest of the pie.
He told the story at D23 this past year and after hearing it and made a lot more sense and gave me a lot of respect. They're all pieces from villages he visits when he's researching projects.

Seabasealpha1

I didn't get much out of that video...but I suppose if I wasn't so obsessed with Imagineering/parks/history, I'd probably be all excited...and stuff...

Joe's ear... I think I had read an interview where he explains it, and I think it's great... from what I can see, some of the best Imagineers have some sort of "quirk" or another...and why shouldn't they?! Out of many of them that I've seen interviews with, I feel like Joe is one of the more genuine/passionate/humble guys designing things. I'd rather this than the corporate cockiness/clean cut prep look we used to see with Bruce Vaughn...who struck me as being a total butt-hat DB.

rushtest4echo

I still feel that the Avatar thing was a desperate move by Iger to combat Potter by snatching a "hot IP" (Which it is not but I digress.) This is about marketing first and they came up with a creative excuse to shove it into DAK and deprives us of getting an original concept like Beastly Kingdom.

Yay, we made it 1 and 1/2 pages into an Animal Kingdom thread before Beastly Kingdom came up! Is everyone aware that the only reason Universal ever built a "unique" non IP driven land was as a result of them poaching away many of WDI's project people from Beastly Kingdom? I know Beastly Kingdom was mired in development hell and wasn't likely to be approved since Asia was already on the front burner- but any chance of Beastly Kingdom being viable went out the door when those people left the company. It's gone now, it's been gone for 20 years.

Back to Avatar though, I'm sad that Joe felt it necessary to explain how Pandora slots in to Animal Kingdom's message, though I'm glad he's explaining it anyway. I've never understood why anyone would think any different. I agree that it was a knee jerk reaction. I get that people don't want IP in Animal Kingom (unless it was beastly kingdom... which also had IP :banghead:). I also get that many people don't care for Avatar as a story/film. All of that is fine, but it's still beyond me how anyone could think it doesn't fit in AK.

Brad Bishop

Back to Avatar though, I'm sad that Joe felt it necessary to explain how Pandora slots in to Animal Kingdom's message, though I'm glad he's explaining it anyway. I've never understood why anyone would think any different. I agree that it was a knee jerk reaction. I get that people don't want IP in Animal Kingom (unless it was beastly kingdom... which also had IP :banghead:). I also get that many people don't care for Avatar as a story/film. All of that is fine, but it's still beyond me how anyone could think it doesn't fit in AK.

To me, the fact that he, or anyone else, has to explain it is the key. Let's say that they added Australia as a section of the park. Would they be saying the same thing? Would a speech (explanation) be needed or would people just think, "Oh, that makes sense.. It's a natural progression." The fact that they need to explain it tells you something is wrong / doesn't fit.

They didn't explain Star Wars land at DHS. They didn't explain Toy Story Land at DHS. ...because they didn't have to.

If they added Avatar to DHS people would have likely had two thoughts, "Ok.. It belongs... Why that IP??"

I think this is one of those things where Disney missed the boat on HP at Universal and, to combat it, picked Avatar because, way back when, it was what everyone was talking about, and now they're stuck with it (and have to explain why it's there).

Think about Harry Potter over at Universal: Did anyone have to explain why that was there? No. Everyone thought, "Harry Potter at Universal! This is going to be great!!!" It fits. It makes sense. It's a popular IP with familiar characters, story, and music. (same can be said for Star Wars Land and Toy Story Land at DHS).

At the end of the day, it's there, it'll probably look fantastic, and hopefully will pull people in, long term, to DAK. At the same time, it's an odd duck really based on bad management (Guardians of the Galaxy at DCA is another) and there are a lot of folks who may actually end up in awe with it all on it's own but will know, "...it really doesn't belong."

From everything I've read Pandora at DAK will be in 3D so it has that going for it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom