Joe Rhode

Merlin

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Does anyone else find Joe Rhode to be kind of annoying? Any time I've ever seen an interview with him, he just strikes me as overly dramatic in the way he speaks, and kind of full of himself. I don't consider his work to be in the same league with Disney's truly legendary Imagineers, so it seems kind of ironic that he would be full of himself. I just got finished watching that Modern Marvels show about WDW (I recorded it and have watched it a couple of times), and whenever Joe Rhode is on, he just got on my nerves. Definitely someone that I wouldn't be able to spend much time with.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
I've met him in person multiple times, and each time it's been for a few hours. He's a good storyteller and very passionate about what he does, far from annoying.

Computer Magic

mkt said:
I've met him in person multiple times, and each time it's been for a few hours. He's a good storyteller and very passionate about what he does, far from annoying.
all good storytellers love to talk. It's great he's passionate about his work.

peter11435

While Rhodes work is very different than the classic Imagineers of the past it is no less spectacular. One could easily argue that AK is the best themed domestic theme park.

Woody13

I rode EE earlier this month. Based upon my observations, Imagineer Joe Rohde has every reason to be "full of himself". He did an excellent job on that attraction.

Computer Magic

Woody13 said:
I rode EE earlier this month. Based upon my observations, Imagineer Joe Rohde has every reason to be "full of himself". He did an excellent job on that attraction.
I do believe showing confidence in you ability is a good thing. However, there is a lot to say about someone that is humble and modest. SHow you ability with your action and work not your mouth.

Now I'm not suggesting Rohde is "full of himself", I have no idea

Woody13

Computer Magic said:
I do believe showing confidence in you ability is a good thing. However, there is a lot to say about someone that is humble and modest. SHow you ability with your action and work not your mouth.

Now I'm not suggesting Rohde is "full of himself", I have no idea
"It ain't braggin' if you can back it up." --- Dizzy Dean

peter11435

I have never thought that Joe seemed "full of himself." I think he is really into his work and is very proud of what he does. But those are far from bad qualities to have at WDI. I have also never seen him sound like it was all him, I have never heard him say "I" it has always been "we."

S.E.A.

peter11435 said:
While Rhodes work is very different than the classic Imagineers of the past it is no less spectacular. One could easily argue that AK is the best themed domestic theme park.

it's no argument, it is the best themed of the domestic parks.

MuRkErY

I would say it was, just Dino-Rama knocks it down a point.

Epcot is the best themed Domestic park IMO.

The day Dino-Rama goes I will rejoice :)

BTW, On the subject of Joe Rhode, I just listened to a interview he did for a roller coaster radio show podcast, back before Christmas.

He seemed like a great guy, and was very humble. Also a Interesting point he made.

I've seen a lot of people on this board state that EE evolved from BK. Joe Rhode actully stated the origins of EE. He said he and a few other Imagineers were looking over the original design drawings for AK, and they noticed a snowy mountain in the bottom right hand corner, where EE is now. They had no idea what would be in the mountain, just that they all thought it would make a cool location for a new "Thrilling" ride that they wanted to add to AK. Then they came up with the idea of the Yeti to tie it in with the Animal theme, and chose to make it a Coaster, as they believed this would be the best way to tell the story of the Yeti, with the tea train concept ect...

So EE did not actully evolve from BK.

WDWRLD

I think I saw him wearing a model of a new rollercoaster in his ear. It looked like it had multipul loops and inversions.

peter11435

S.E.A. said:
I agree 100%. Even Dinorama, While some (myself included) may not like the theme they choose, it is themed very well for what it is.

S.E.A.

MuRkErY said:

BTW, On the subject of Joe Rhode, I just listened to a interview he did for a roller coaster radio show podcast, back before Christmas.

He seemed like a great guy, and was very humble. Also a Interesting point he made.

I've seen a lot of people on this board state that EE evolved from BK. Joe Rhode actully stated the origins of EE. He said he and a few other Imagineers were looking over the original design drawings for AK, and they noticed a snowy mountain in the bottom right hand corner, where EE is now. They had no idea what would be in the mountain, just that they all thought it would make a cool location for a new "Thrilling" ride that they wanted to add to AK. Then they came up with the idea of the Yeti to tie it in with the Animal theme, and chose to make it a Coaster, as they believed this would be the best way to tell the story of the Yeti, with the tea train concept ect...

I disagree about EPCOT, its identity crisis keeps it from being spectacular, and the current pixarization and thrillification of the park only keeps it going down the totem pole of over-all beauty. EPCOT isn't visually stunning enough to be deemed best themed of the domestic parks (that would go to DAK and Disneyland)

by the way, thank you for finally clearing up to people that Everest isn't an evolved form of BK, because it isn't.

MuRkErY

I disagree about EPCOT, its identity crisis keeps it from being spectacular, and the current pixarization and thrillification of the park only keeps it going down the totem pole of over-all beauty. EPCOT isn't visually stunning enough to be deemed best themed of the domestic parks (that would go to DAK and Disneyland)

Do you not think World Showcase is visually stunning ?

Also when I talk about theming, I dont just take it at face value, I also take into account the Ideology of the park, and how well this is put across.

IMO, if you put everything we know about humanity, and the Universe, and then reduced it too 300 acres you would have Epcot.

Future World perfectly documents our knowledge, The Land, The Living Seas, Spaceship Earth (Our history, Communications), M:S (Space), Test Track (Transport), WoL, UoE, Innovations, Imagination.

Then World Showcase perfectly documents quite a few of the many cultures of the Human Race.

This is all then tied together at the end of the night with RoE.

AK, also has a very nice ideology, but I dont think it is as yet developed as much as Epcots. BK could have gone a way to helping this.

The only Pixarifcation of Epcot I'm aware about is The Living Seas, which I personally dont have a problem with as long as it gets people more interested in The Living Seas, and does not take away from the main subject matter.

MuRkErY said:

Interesting. Do you have a link where I can hear this podcast?

Woody13

Computer Magic said:
:lol: To be humble to superiors is duty, to equals courtesy, to inferiors nobleness.” - Ben Franklin :D
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom