Jodi Benson

Josh_Fenway

Original Poster
Did Jodi Benson also sing for Ariel? If so, did she ever make a Album of herself? I think she has a beautiful voice but I didn't know if I should waste my time heading to the record store only to have them tell me they havent heard of her. Thanks!

MissM

Jeez. What a waste of a voice. She could really have done something great with it. Guess we'll just have to enjoy what little she did for Disney instead.
-m

GothMickey

Maybe she didn't want any more than she already did... Not everyone who signs wants a record deal.... Some just take the roles they get in plays, movies, and voice overs and are content.

Namine78

She is mainly a stage acress, but she has also played Helen of Troy (Hercules series), Barbie (Toy Story 2) and Lady (Lady and the Tramp 2).

lwalker8

Well...she has done a few shows for the stage, including Crazy for You. And regaurding the "wasting of a voice," I find it hard to see where that comes from. She has done work for a number of films, and broadway shows. Not to mention Christian work for Children. I hardly see that a waste of her talent, although it may not appeal to that particular person.

yoda_5729

Hi...Jodi Benson was actually born in the same city as me.......:) Rockford Illinois.....or at least she went to high school here :)

William Marsden

I thought Jodi benson was good in Little Mermaid but in my not so humble opinion, the best performance of a Disney character in the past 20 years would have to go to Paige O'Hare's portrayal of Belle. A few years before Beauty and the Beast was released, my newly married wife and I got a recording of Showboat which showcased some big named opera stars (Frederica von Stade, Jerry Hadley, Teresa Stratus). Ms. O'Hare did the smaller part of Ellie May Chipley on the recording and I said to my wife that I thought she was absolutely incredible. A few years later when we first saw Beauty and the Beast in a theater I turned to my wife during the movie and said "you know who that is? That's Paige O'Hare!" I felt so proud of myself knowing who this lady was before she starred in a major motion picture.

PintoColvig

MissM said:
Jeez. What a waste of a voice. She could really have done something great with it. Guess we'll just have to enjoy what little she did for Disney instead.
-m

:veryconfu Your comments may be a bit harsh. She's had a great career and continues to build on it. Just because she hasn't put out any albums doesn't mean she's wasted her voice. Isn't it possible that she's doing just what she wants to do? Perhaps she's decided that the career path that's she's chosen is what's best for her family. Let's give her the benefit of the doubt, at least.:)

Thessair

William Marsden said:
I thought Jodi benson was good in Little Mermaid but in my not so humble opinion, the best performance of a Disney character in the past 20 years would have to go to Paige O'Hare's portrayal of Belle.

While I cannot argue that Paige O'Hara has a great voice, I've never felt that her performance was as heartfelt and compelling as Jodi Benson’s in ‘Mermaid’. But, then again, I’m one of the few who feel that ‘The Little Mermaid’ was a better film than ‘Beast’. This isn’t the thread for me to start that discussion, so I’ll just say that I believe they’re both talented entertainers and I enjoy listening to their performances, if not equally. It’s great that so much of the vocal talent from Disney films still has such a solid fan base. It’s a testament to both them and the projects they worked on. :D

William Marsden

Thessair said:
While I cannot argue that Paige O'Hara has a great voice, I've never felt that her performance was as heartfelt and compelling as Jodi Benson’s in ‘Mermaid’. But, then again, I’m one of the few who feel that ‘The Little Mermaid’ was a better film than ‘Beast’. This isn’t the thread for me to start that discussion, so I’ll just say that I believe they’re both talented entertainers and I enjoy listening to their performances, if not equally. It’s great that so much of the vocal talent from Disney films still has such a solid fan base. It’s a testament to both them and the projects they worked on.

We purchased the Cinderella Platinum edition DVD a few months ago. One of the easter eggs included on disc 2 was a performance of Ilene Wood (the original Cinderella) on a TV show from 1950 (I think it was the Perry Como show). I was delighted to see that Ilene Wood appeared to be just as beautiful in person as Cinderella was in animation. I have now added Ilene Wood to my "most idealistically beautiful women ever" list. Other nominees include Donna Reed, Olivia de Haviland (the way she was in Gone With the Wind), and Audrey Hepburn. I always thought Cinderella was hot. Ilene didn't disappoint.:lol:

MickeyTigg

MissM said:
-m

Signing on Broadway and dedicating her life to God is a waste of her voice?

:veryconfu

I don't think so. Just because she didn't use her voice to make tons of money doesn't make it wasted, nor make what she's done with her voice not great.

William Marsden

[
quote=TiggerRPh]Signing on Broadway and dedicating her life to God is a waste of her voice?

:veryconfu

I don't think so. Just because she didn't use her voice to make tons of money doesn't make it wasted, nor make what she's done with her voice not great.
[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more!

RonAnnArbor

I don't get this thread...is someone arguing that Jodi should only be doing voiceovers? THat is actually the lowest paid and least attractive option for a stage actor.

I saw Jodi in SMILE and JOSEPH AND THE.... on Broadway - she was great in both. The Christian recordings came along with her popularity as the narrator in Joseph. A stage performer will always want to do stage work or record work, before they do voiceover work. That is certainly not a waste of talent.

MAF

PintoColvig said:
:veryconfu Your comments may be a bit harsh. She's had a great career and continues to build on it. Just because she hasn't put out any albums doesn't mean she's wasted her voice. Isn't it possible that she's doing just what she wants to do? Perhaps she's decided that the career path that's she's chosen is what's best for her family. Let's give her the benefit of the doubt, at least.:)
That poster is always rude and harsh in all of her posts, I guess she just craves attention...

Thessair

I thought she was awesome in 'Crazy for You'. :D I suppose I'm a big fan of all her endeavors as I haven't found anything I didn't (to some degree) enjoy.

FigmentJedi

Well she is singing as Ariel in Kingdom Hearts II with those rhythm games in Atlantica. Of course, Haley Joel Osment will also be singing Under the Sea which is going to sound way awkward...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom