'Jock Lindsey's Hangar Bar' concept art and construction at Disney Springs The Landing

FerretAfros

From today's Parks Blog update:
As a member of the Society of Explorers and Adventurers, Jock often welcomed his globetrotting friends to his hangar for a drink and fun times.
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...ngar-bar-opening-this-fall-at-downtowndisney/

Although I love interconnected concept behind SEA, I can't help but feel it's out of place here. Isn't Indiana Jones already a member of SEA, from his attraction at TDS? Given that all of the other members seem to live more or less in their own realms, this connection feels a little too obvious to me. SEA has always sort of been like the Backstory Illuminati, and the separation between the characters is a huge part of the allure and mystery surrounding the group

Then again, I still feel like the semi-last minute addition of the whole Indy/Jock backstory to the previously-announced Hangar Bar is grasping at straws, so this just feels like yet another level of self referential obscurity. And how exactly to SEA's connections to the Adventurer's Club play into this? I think Trader Sam's would have been a better fit for the SEA tie-in

Bairstow

Then again, I still feel like the semi-last minute addition of the whole Indy/Jock backstory to the previously-announced Hangar Bar is grasping at straws, so this just feels like yet another level of self referential obscurity. And how exactly to SEA's connections to the Adventurer's Club play into this? I think Trader Sam's would have been a better fit for the SEA tie-in

Amen to that.
How long is Fred Sorenson even in the movie for? 40 seconds? 50?
This is like building a Star Wars restaurant and naming/themeing after Jimmy Smits.

Bairstow

At least it's themed right? To me that's better than nothing.

Sure, but the hangar bar seemed to have a strong theme anyway before the movie theme was foisted into it, assuming that's indeed what happened. So, if the question becomes choosing between a themed establishment and a themed establishment with an ultra-tenous film franchise connection, do you still go with the franchise?

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Sure, but the hangar bar seemed to have a strong theme anyway before the movie theme was foisted into it, assuming that's indeed what happened. So, if the question becomes choosing between a themed establishment and a themed establishment with an ultra-tenous film franchise connection, do you still go with the franchise?
As long as the ultra-tenuous story is well integrated, I personally feel it adds more than it subtracts.

Cool airplane bar... "neat, I might want to check that out sometime"
Cool airplane bar related to Indiana Jones... "I'm getting at least ONE drink here next trip, maybe more"

Lynn Stephens

You make a great point, it is a long stretch to find something Disney owned to link with the establishment. As @sshindel said, now I will go there in November to have those pretzels and a drink.

Jon81uk

You make a great point, it is a long stretch to find something Disney owned to link with the establishment. As @sshindel said, now I will go there in November to have those pretzels and a drink.

They could have appealed to a different generation and gone for Launchpad McQuack's Hanger Bar

Launchpad-McQuack-image-launchpad-mcquack-36189950-360-240.jpg

Dawnh16

I am a huge Indy nerd so personally I love it and will eagerly visit (and return if the food and drinks live up to the awesome names). And I figure those not familiar with the franchise will still think its cool looking. I don't see that they have anything to lose with the theming. Are you not going to order the "Good Dates" b/c you don't get the reference?

halltd

Amen to that.
How long is Fred Sorenson even in the movie for? 40 seconds? 50?
This is like building a Star Wars restaurant and naming/themeing after Jimmy Smits.
Personally I like when they do things to "less known" or "obscure" characters because those are the ones I usually like the best. It also looks like it's not a very massive place, so if it was themed to a more well-known person, it would be mobbed, right?

I know there's always someone that won't be happy, but everyone was complaining a while back about the "unique" characters that came out during a special event at the MK a (why aren't they out all the time!) and now the complaining is about a "uniquely" themed restaurant as being not mainstream enough? I don't get it. But, this is one place I'm really excited about checking out since it ISN'T mainstream.

Bairstow

Personally I like when they do things to "less known" or "obscure" characters because those are the ones I usually like the best. It also looks like it's not a very massive place, so if it was themed to a more well-known person, it would be mobbed, right?

I know there's always someone that won't be happy, but everyone was complaining a while back about the "unique" characters that came out during a special event at the MK a (why aren't they out all the time!) and now the complaining is about a "uniquely" themed restaurant as being not mainstream enough? I don't get it. But, this is one place I'm really excited about checking out since it ISN'T mainstream.

There's a happy medium between the most obvious, overexposed characters in a fictional work and the ones that make you say

kGFqnbJ.gif

Let's call this area the Meeko Zone.

Disney fans have every right to be excited about meeting Meeko.

meeko.jpg

But no one cares about Virginia Company Sailor #4

whodat.jpg

This whole project reeks to me of shoehorning in a recently-purchased IP into a preexisting concept in the most tortured, peanut butter/chocolate sort of way.

Especially since I can think of like half a dozen pilot/mechanics in the Disney canon who would be a more obvious choice if the objective were merely to theme up a mid-20th century aviation bar rather than a hackneyed effort to put the Lucasfilm IP into Florida as fast and as sloppily as possible.

Edit: And you know what I just realized? None of this bothered me until I read the menu for the dumb food items at this place. At first I was totally cool with the idea of a perplexingly esoteric character-themed aviation bar that was peripherally related to Indiana Jones, since most guests wouldn't even pick up on the connection and it the place could potentially exist on its own terms, but when you look at the menu it screams, "INDIANA JONES! INDIANA JONES! THIS IS THE INDIANA JONES BAR! GET IT?! REMEMBER THAT THING THAT HAPPENED IN THE INDIANA JONES MOVIE?!" that it sucked all the fun right out of this project for me and replaced it with the sour taste of branding for the sake of branding.

Last edited:

Lynn Stephens

...Especially since I can think of like half a dozen pilot/mechanics in the Disney canon who would be a more obvious choice if the objective were merely to theme up a mid-20th century aviation bar rather than a hackneyed effort to put the Lucasfilm IP into Florida as fast and as sloppily as possible.
You have to admit, a "Tailspin" bar would had been fun.

WDW Monorail

I thought about Louie's as well and I would love to see one themed in such a manner. Imagine the uproar it would cause on this site if a location in a somewhat recent animated series was used as the theme for anything in Disney World.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom