Jim Hill on XPass coming in 2012

MaryJaneP

Yeah because Disney would still be open if they did not care about money:rolleyes:

I still laugh that people complain about ADRs....just like in the real world most restaurants you need reservations. If i am visiting New York you better believe that i will make dinner reservations when i book my trip that is called common sense.

How much does that New York reservation cost you? And how many meals do you eat in one day? Apples vs Oranges to me.

bullsforthewin

How much does that New York reservation cost you? And how many meals do you eat in one day? Apples vs Oranges to me.

ADRs are free now and will continue to be free...since you dont have to use the Xpass system.

Plus i eat once maybe twice...i book ADRs when i visit Disney and i am somehow able to have fun...crazy right :rolleyes:

jmb2676

Yeah because Disney would still be open if they did not care about money:rolleyes:

I still laugh that people complain about ADRs....just like in the real world most restaurants you need reservations. If i am visiting New York you better believe that i will make dinner reservations when i book my trip that is called common sense.

But eating in NYC does not REQUIRE a reservation 6 months in advance. You can easily get a really good place with a week or so notice at most.

NoChesterHester

I am taking a wait and see approach to Xpass. I believe there are aspects to it that could be wonderful and well worth my dollars.

I understand the fears of a type of gentrified experience, but to believe there aren't different amenity levels now depending on your credit limit... you are fooling yourself.

If executed properly, this could be something we would spend our money on.

Flame away.

AEfx

I understand the fears of a type of gentrified experience, but to believe there aren't different amenity levels now depending on your credit limit... you are fooling yourself.

I think it's when they start to involve rides that it starts concerning people.

Yes, private tours have been available, but they are very rare and "officially" they make you wait in line, even if in practice they don't.

While many old-timers will point out that WDW used to have a ticket system, it hasn't been that way for thirty years. For thirty years, if you could make your way to Walt Disney World, and pay the admission fee, you could experience the same Magic Kingdom as anyone else.

Now, of course, one family may be out in the parking lot at lunch eating cheese sandwiches out of a cooler, and another may have had lunch in the castle; one family may have a hard time lugging out all the souvenirs they can afford to buy so many, another family may have made two sets of Mickey Ears their big splurge. But the experiences offered in the attractions - shows etc - has always been the same. Mickey Mouse didn't care what hotel you were staying at, or how much your parents were spending. He just wanted to meet you.

Now, Mickey is going to be happier to meet some guests than other guests. "Why Marissa, you are from Montana, right? I've been waiting for you!" because he read your X-Pass RFID, and the kid standing behind wonders, "Why didn't Mickey know my name?"

There are two ways to look at that. One, "Well, I've got the money to give my kid that experience, tough," and the other is "Well, couldn't Disney do this in a way so they can make their money selling the other luxury things that people will pay for that don't stick out and make others feel left out, and give everyone the same basic park experience?"

Now, in that specific case - maybe there will be separate Mickeys. Who knows. A current example is the Disney Visa character meet. It's right there, but you kinda have to know what you are looking for, and it's rather discrete. Should they roll out X-pass and a lot of people take advantage of it, it likely will not be so discreet.

It goes both ways, too. I'm a single adult with no children, so I can afford a little bit more at WDW should I want. I could probably afford whatever X-pass ends up costing (though if it's tied to hotels, I simply refuse to waste my money staying at Deluxes when I get nothing out of them, and no X-pass would be enough for that price). But I don't like that look on the other family as you whiz past them in line - you see it at Universal when this super happy family is bypassing everyone else because they have unlimited Express. It's not that ubiquitous there, but it creates a definite, visible, class system within the attraction experiences. With Fastpasses now, it's just stupid people who don't know how to use them that get mad (and if they can't follow all the signs, and the maps explaining it in terms a four year old could understand, there are just some people you can't help).

To some this all is inconsequential, but it could have a definite impact on the "magical" feeling we all love so much. It's hard to quantify atmosphere - but in general, the higher tier that exists at WDW is pretty well hidden, or easily overlooked. That would very likely change the "vibe" of how guests feel, about the feelings the whole place gives. Right now, when I sit down at a show next to someone, I have no idea what class they come from or how much they may have spent, and that's great. But if we truly start segregating people even more so than it is now (Dining packages at Fantasmic, etc., which you hear a lot of people moaning about on both sides as it is), the overall feeling in the parks will become even more argumentative and "ME ME ME" than it already has become, because people will be fighting for dibs on whats left over once it's clear the X-pass'ers will take all the "white meat".

It's just not a road I hope we have to travel down.

pax_65

I still laugh that people complain about ADRs....just like in the real world most restaurants you need reservations.

If you want a specific restaurant at a specific time, then yeah... you should make reservations - both in the real world and in Disney. But 6 months out? C'mon...

I can remember in the past (probably going back 10 years now), you could walk into almost any restaurant in WDW and get a table - although you might have to wait a bit. The more popular restaurants like Le Cellier you had to make an ADR a day or two in advance - sometimes you could walk in earlier in the day and make your reservation (although that might not always work out).

With the dining plan, those kind of experiences are gone. On our trip last year my in-laws offered at the last minute to watch the kids, and my wife and I found ourselves alone in the Magic Kingdom at dinner time. There was no opportunity to plan. We knew it was a long shot, but we figured we'd inquire to see if there was any restaurant where we could have a nice meal for just the two of us, maybe if we were willing to eat a little later. A cast member told us all Magic Kingdom restaurants were booked solid and typically book over a month in advance.

As I said before, part of having fun is being spontaneous. Disney should certainly accept ADRs to allow people to plan but there should be a little wiggle room in there somehow for the unexpected or the spontaneous. The same is true with XPass. Sure, you can allow people to plan for $$$ if they choose to do so, but allow people to experience the parks the way they love to do it also.

NoChesterHester

...the experiences offered in the attractions - shows etc - has always been the same. Mickey Mouse didn't care what hotel you were staying at, or how much your parents were spending. He just wanted to meet you.

Now, Mickey is going to be happier to meet some guests than other guests. "Why Marissa, you are from Montana, right? I've been waiting for you!" because he read your X-Pass RFID, and the kid standing behind wonders, "Why didn't Mickey know my name?"

There are two ways to look at that. One, "Well, I've got the money to give my kid that experience, tough," and the other is "Well, couldn't Disney do this in a way so they can make their money selling the other luxury things that people will pay for that don't stick out and make others feel left out, and give everyone the same basic park experience?"

Now, in that specific case - maybe there will be separate Mickeys. Who knows. A current example is the Disney Visa character meet. It's right there, but you kinda have to know what you are looking for, and it's rather discrete. Should they roll out X-pass and a lot of people take advantage of it, it likely will not be so discreet.

It goes both ways, too. I'm a single adult with no children, so I can afford a little bit more at WDW should I want. I could probably afford whatever X-pass ends up costing (though if it's tied to hotels, I simply refuse to waste my money staying at Deluxes when I get nothing out of them, and no X-pass would be enough for that price). But I don't like that look on the other family as you whiz past them in line - you see it at Universal when this super happy family is bypassing everyone else because they have unlimited Express. It's not that ubiquitous there, but it creates a definite, visible, class system within the attraction experiences. With Fastpasses now, it's just stupid people who don't know how to use them that get mad (and if they can't follow all the signs, and the maps explaining it in terms a four year old could understand, there are just some people you can't help).

To some this all is inconsequential, but it could have a definite impact on the "magical" feeling we all love so much. It's hard to quantify atmosphere - but in general, the higher tier that exists at WDW is pretty well hidden, or easily overlooked. That would very likely change the "vibe" of how guests feel, about the feelings the whole place gives. Right now, when I sit down at a show next to someone, I have no idea what class they come from or how much they may have spent, and that's great. But if we truly start segregating people even more so than it is now (Dining packages at Fantasmic, etc., which you hear a lot of people moaning about on both sides as it is), the overall feeling in the parks will become even more argumentative and "ME ME ME" than it already has become, because people will be fighting for dibs on whats left over once it's clear the X-pass'ers will take all the "white meat".

All fair points. Like I said, I understand the concerns, but I am taking a wait and see approach.

Based on some recent moves I'd say the concerns are valid. Disney really wants to cater to different "classes" and by going for the high-end they want those people to know they are getting something special.

c-one

I think it's when they start to involve rides that it starts concerning people.

Yes, private tours have been available, but they are very rare and "officially" they make you wait in line, even if in practice they don't.

While many old-timers will point out that WDW used to have a ticket system, it hasn't been that way for thirty years. For thirty years, if you could make your way to Walt Disney World, and pay the admission fee, you could experience the same Magic Kingdom as anyone else.

Now, of course, one family may be out in the parking lot at lunch eating cheese sandwiches out of a cooler, and another may have had lunch in the castle; one family may have a hard time lugging out all the souvenirs they can afford to buy so many, another family may have made two sets of Mickey Ears their big splurge. But the experiences offered in the attractions - shows etc - has always been the same. Mickey Mouse didn't care what hotel you were staying at, or how much your parents were spending. He just wanted to meet you.

Boom. Nailed it. Well said.

If you want a specific restaurant at a specific time, then yeah... you should make reservations - both in the real world and in Disney. But 6 months out? C'mon...

I can remember in the past (probably going back 10 years now), you could walk into almost any restaurant in WDW and get a table - although you might have to wait a bit. The more popular restaurants like Le Cellier you had to make an ADR a day or two in advance - sometimes you could walk in earlier in the day and make your reservation (although that might not always work out).

With the dining plan, those kind of experiences are gone. On our trip last year my in-laws offered at the last minute to watch the kids, and my wife and I found ourselves alone in the Magic Kingdom at dinner time. There was no opportunity to plan. We knew it was a long shot, but we figured we'd inquire to see if there was any restaurant where we could have a nice meal for just the two of us, maybe if we were willing to eat a little later. A cast member told us all Magic Kingdom restaurants were booked solid and typically book over a month in advance.

As I said before, part of having fun is being spontaneous. Disney should certainly accept ADRs to allow people to plan but there should be a little wiggle room in there somehow for the unexpected or the spontaneous. The same is true with XPass. Sure, you can allow people to plan for $$$ if they choose to do so, but allow people to experience the parks the way they love to do it also.
Exactly -- I have no problem with making reservations a few days in advance, but 6 months? Come on. Having to plan my WDW vacation down to the meal times 6 months in advance is one of those things that makes trips to WDW more stress than its worth sometimes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom