Jim Hill: Animal Kingdom Draining Away

barnum42

We have drainage systems in this country that were put in place 2000 years ago by the Romans. They are still in daily use. What did the Romans know 2000 years ago that modern contractors don't? :lol:

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
barnum42 said:
We have drainage systems in this country that were put in place 2000 years ago by the Romans. They are still in daily use. What did the Romans know 2000 years ago that modern contractors don't? :lol:

The Romans knew that water + metal + air = oxidation (rust).

I wouldn't be surprised though if this matter winds up in court. Disney could have a substantial chance in getting compensated provided that they subbed out design/engineering and construction of the drainage system. BLAME THE ENGINEERS!!! :D Also building components manufacturers warantee their products. Unless the pipes were installed wrong (something which would not surprise me), they also might get some compensation from the manufacturer.

I might not be all the doom and gloom that Jim says. And at least the park isn't in danger of being swallowed up by Earth...yet:lookaroun

Empress Room

This story sounds watered down to me (sorry, couldn't resist).

If (and that's a big "if") the story has any truth to it, I would hazard to guess that any money from the maintenance budget would have little or no effect on the future attractions/imagineering budget. It could very well impact other maintenance and groundskeeping projects, but probably not attractions.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
ogryn said:
That money is coming out of new rides budget, so any new attractions won't been seen until 2008 or after.

There is a lot more detail in the article.

I wouldnt believe everything you read on the Internet.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
ogryn said:
I didn't say I believed it... I was just summarising the article :wave:

Right I know you were :) I just didnt want anyone to take a glance at that, and take it is fact. This is how major mis-information gets spread around. People then start shooting things down, purely based on a rumor.

Yen_Sid1

I can verify that AK has major plumbing problems. In fact, a section of the main drainage for the park, on the west side of the savannah just on the other side of the perimeter road, has been has dug up and repaired at least 5 times. It was just the cheap stuff, corrugated metal piping, which collapsed easily. Now it seems that they are finally replacing with concrete piping and this is the main drainage for the park. I'm talking about 8' foot pipes.

They had to totally rework the drainage system where Everest is going, in fact, it delayed a lot of the construction from starting on time. They had to reroute the perimeter road, a lot of detours and bumps, they were pumping water out day and night for months. The drainage system definitely needs to be replaced or repaired.

That's what happens when you try to save money and do it on the cheap. It will cost you a lot more money in the long run. But, of course, it will come out of a different budget then. But, I 'm not sure how that will affect the budget for new attractions, that remains to be seen.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
ogryn said:
So an article by Jim with some fact and a slab of embellishment?

I dont think this forum is the place to keep on going over fact or fiction on stories written by other websites. People are obviously welcome to read whatever they wish, but I dont want this forum to become a source of mis-information.

ogryn

Original Poster
Fair enough Steve :)

I think I understand where you're coming from. Sure a lot of people know to take JM witha pinch of salt, but lots don't. Also thinking about it the last few times have resulted in JHM bashing, which isn't what I intended in posting it. I posted it because A) I hadn't heard of the poor dranage before, and B) Wanted to know if it was correct.

brentley2

God- Jim Hill.

Wouldn't it be about normal to not see another attraction in Animal Kingdom for two years anyway? I mean- think about it- Everest won't open til mid-2006, right? That would only be about a year and a half between atractions or so- pretty normal for Disney- if AK was opening something else between 2006 and 2008, Disney would have to be working on it NOW- given Disney's penchant for taking two to three times longer than any other theme park to build their attractions.

Jim Hill is annoying anyway- he is pretty much always inflammatory, and plus- he is an AWFUL writer- I hate the way he has to segue into his next topic or section of his article with questions. "Why for you ask?" "What are you thinking now?" "What's that you say?" ugh- give me a freaking break.

wannab@dis

brentley2 said:
God- Jim Hill.

Wouldn't it be about normal to not see another attraction in Animal Kingdom for two years anyway? I mean- think about it- Everest won't open til mid-2006, right? That would only be about a year and a half between atractions or so- pretty normal for Disney- if AK was opening something else between 2006 and 2008, Disney would have to be working on it NOW- given Disney's penchant for taking two to three times longer than any other theme park to build their attractions.

Jim Hill is annoying anyway- he is pretty much always inflammatory, and plus- he is an AWFUL writer- I hate the way he has to segue into his next topic or section of his article with questions. "Why for you ask?" "What are you thinking now?" "What's that you say?" ugh- give me a freaking break.

well said! :sohappy:

I can't do any better, so I'll say ditto. The timing of his 2008 project is very telling. Of course another large project wouldn't be completed until 2008 since it hasn't started yet and probably won't start in the near future with the work progressing on E:E. So, he will use that fact and turn it around to show how he's always right.

Article said:
According to "Kilimanjaro Safari" drivers, one of these sinkholes actually allegedly caused the route that the ride vehicles in this DAK attraction typically follow to be changed.

Great writing skills, huh? :lol:

By the way... Any AK CM's know if the above statement is true?

MrNonacho

Premium Member
wannab@dis said:
Any AK CM's know if the above statement is true?

If it is, the change wasn't anything major. I rode it yesterday for the first time in several months and didn't notice anything unusual.

disneydata

wannab@dis said:
well said! :sohappy:

I can't do any better, so I'll say ditto. The timing of his 2008 project is very telling. Of course another large project wouldn't be completed until 2008 since it hasn't started yet and probably won't start in the near future with the work progressing on E:E. So, he will use that fact and turn it around to show how he's always right.

Great writing skills, huh? :lol:

By the way... Any AK CM's know if the above statement is true?
I'll ask around with friends down there, but I highly doubt the route was changed. They make it that was for a reason and to reroute they would need to re-pour concrete and such which I haven't heard anything about yet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom