Jessica Rabbit removed from Trunk- Roger Rabbits Cartoon Spin

The Aracuan Bird

FWIW, Disney didn't really make Roger Rabbit. They were just the distributor.
Yes and no. As previously stated, they were the ones to purchase the film rights in the early 80s. 1/2 of the studios producing was Touchstone, which was just one of the many production company labels Disney used for their more mature films.

Additionally, WDAS mainstays, like Andreas Déjà and Joe Ranft, worked on it. It wasn’t inside employees. You have people from outside the company that had a huge hand in it. Spielberg, Zemeckis, Williams, etc. But for all intents and purposes, it’s a Disney production. They own a good chunk of the property. They own the merchandising rights. They own and created the ToonTown brand off of it. It’s more Disney than the Star Wars films they did not make but purchased.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

Right now? Probably not. But in 10 or 20 years? They know Twitter skews younger than their primary demographic, so it's important to keep up on the trends and topics on Twitter today, because it's a window on what their primary demographic (young families) will be be thinking when they start making decisions to go to the park with their family.

That's always the crux of it. The people with young families making decisions to go to the park today, will be gone in a decade or so. Their kids will be grown, will have moved out, and they will no longer be making trips to Disneyland anyway.

Disney is being proactive in catering to the younger demographic now, and making sure the park stays relevant for the next generation.
If this is their strategy I sincerely hope they just come out and say it because I’d love to see the reaction from the Street and major investors.

The problem with Twitter trends is they are inherently fickle.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

“We’ve based our corporate strategy around a small place highly susceptible misinformation and Russian trolls.”
To all (uber wealthy Gen Z families) who come to this happy place, welcome!! To everyone else your time has passed, as nostalgia is so not in right now!! We know, because it’s what “the Facebook”, “Twitterers”, and “the TikTok”, and our high-priced consultants are telling us!

And even though body positivity is a major trend among women our predominantly male board has also decided on behalf of our female audience that Jessica Rabbit’s female form is offensive to our audience for no reason at all.

What can we say except: You’re welcome! Now pay us, Genie+ is coming, more magic, more Disney, synergy!

Last edited:

George Lucas on a Bench

"Reimagining" is one of those dumb buzzwords they're using to justify any and all changes, regardless of quality, and sadly there's a legion of Disney fans who will defend anything they do.

It's a word most famously used in relation to Pop Culture by Tim Burton when he butchered Planet of the Apes in the year 2000. "It's not a remake, it's a Reimagining."

Of course, his Remake was an awful, awful mess that was forgotten if not despised.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Dizney's constant botched Virtue Signaling attempts at shoehorning Female Empowerment or Diversity into classic attractions. I mean, I don't get it. The new Star Wars attractions feature mainly Caucasian Men. Why don't they change those?

Only the classic attractions? It’s almost every single movie, sequel or remake too. F Me Disney/ Hollywood. We get it. Women are strong, smart, can do everything men do and are super hero’s too. Can we move on?

Stevek

I hate that our culture now somehow caters to a minority of whiny but loud people. Mostly because of social media. The question is when did these corporations like Disney get so scared of these people or the ramifications that come with their whining. I guarantee if you polled all riders of all of these Disney attractions that are being changed if they needed to be changed for whatever reason (before any of the virtue signaling announcements) the vast majority would have said “no.”
The problem is, we are probably now at the point where every attraction is a moving target and changes will happen over and over as social norms change. This change happens on Roger now, another change will happen X years from now because something new becomes offensive. We are in complete over-correction mode on everything, not just Disney.

Stevek

What PC police? Disney made this decision on their own. Unless you’re referring to Disney as the “PC police?”
I do wonder if there was any commentary they received from outside of Disney on this or other attractions. It's very clear that there is a significant focus on looking at everything, old and new, and trying to make it much more PC for today's changing society.

Californian Elitist

I do wonder if there was any commentary they received from outside of Disney on this or other attractions. It's very clear that there is a significant focus on looking at everything, old and new, and trying to make it much more PC for today's changing society.
That could be, but I doubt that. However, Disney has been censoring their content for many years now.

I honestly don’t think society has changed. It’s the presence of things like the internet and social media that speed up the process of getting news, seeing the opinions of others, etc. that make it seem like political correctness and “cancel culture” are fairly new and at an all-time high, when in reality, they’ve always been around. I can bet Jessica Rabbit has been getting complaints and has been making some feel uncomfortable since 1989.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Jessica Rabbit has offended me since 1988. Now, the Little Mermaid. That is a Strong Female Character if I ever saw one. A girl who really knows what she wants in life and is willing to sacrifice everything for a man she's never met. In fact, let's give her as much representation in these parks as we can.

But Ariel is flat chested. So it doesn’t matter.

DavidDL

But Ariel is flat chested. So it doesn’t matter.

Disney planned ahead with that one. ;)

mermaid.png

Roger_the_pianist

This thread is getting worse than Splash Mtn Retheme.

I you didn't think some depiction was a problem, let fan forums start discussing it and it can be confirmed as an issue...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom