Jersey Week?

becanya

Original Poster
Anyone hear anything about the crowds during Jersey Week this year? According to the crowd calendar on touringplans.com, Jersey Week just ended. Were the crowds bad? We are going to go next year on the Sunday that ends Jersey Week...so I was just wondering.

CleveRocks

The Sunday at the END of Jersey Week should never be a problem ... us Jersey folk are heading to the airport to go home that day.

fauna

We've gone the past two Jersey Weeks (yep, Jersey as in New Jersey. It's the teachers' convention week)

In 2009 the parks were empty. We walked on everything.

This year it was definitely more crowded. Not horrible - altho the F&W really pulled people into Epcot. We noticed TONS more international guests this year, and maybe Mass. also had a teachers break? I think they usually come in as Jersey leaves, but we saw lots and lots of boston/mass. folks.

Next year the teachers' convention is Nov. 10 & 11 - coinciding with Veterans Day on the 11th. You might see bigger crowds that weekend because of that holiday.

Phonedave

by jersey do you mean new jersey jersey? or like wear your teams jersey to disney week? if it was "new jersey" week i must have missed the memo.

Outside of Florida, New Jersey is one of the largest WDW visiting states.

When you couple that with the fact that the NJ Teachers Union has a two day convention (Thurs and Fri) every November that closes EVERY school in NJ at the EXACT SAME TIME, at a time that is traditionaly cheaper for WDW (semi-off season) you get a mass influx of people from NJ to WDW.

Honestly, during that weekend, I would not be suprised if fully a quarter of the people at WDW were from NJ.

-dave

becanya

Original Poster
We are going to arrive on the 11th, and I expect that Saturday to be crazy, but then the crowds will hopefully taper off. This year we just happened to have the same fall break as everyone in the US apparently, because it was crazy Oct 11-17.

Mouse Man

I went in 2001 in November. The DWF and I did not know that this event/happening even existed. We generally go in September from South Jersey to WDW. We are use to meeting people from all around the world. That year we met more people from NJ and felt like the whole state went on vacation. Not to mention that some people we met lived near by and yes were teachers on vacation taking advantage of the school closing. Now for the bad news, maybe this coming year or the year after next, Govenor Christie is trying to kill this convention time off, so this gathering may not occur again.

becanya

Original Poster
I went in 2001 in November. The DWF and I did not know that this event/happening even existed. We generally go in September from South Jersey to WDW. We are use to meeting people from all around the world. That year we met more people from NJ and felt like the whole state went on vacation. Not to mention that some people we met lived near by and yes were teachers on vacation taking advantage of the school closing. Now for the bad news, maybe this coming year or the year after next, Govenor Christie is trying to kill this convention time off, so this gathering may not occur again.

Mouseman...great info! Thanks.

Mickey_777

Is there such thing as Ohio week? We were there October 9-16th and I've never seen so many people with red Ohio State t-shirts on...

becanya

Original Poster
Is there such thing as Ohio week? We were there October 9-16th and I've never seen so many people with red Ohio State t-shirts on...

Hah! We were there the same time. I think it had more to do with college football than geographic location. We're from TN and we were wearing both Vandy and Indiana shirts...along with Notre Dame. We noticed on that Sat that everyone was wearing some college team shirt!

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Just got back from Jersey week. We were meeting people from NJ all the time, and even being called out by CMs and cab drivers as being from Jersey. And I can assure you we look nothing like the jersey shore freak shows.

The parks were wayyyy more crowded then I expected them to be. Epcot on saturday was a mad house. The lines for the F&W booths were 40-50 people deep. Thankfully we had the Party for the Senses that night, so we were able to avoid the lines.

Pioneer Hall

What do the teachers do at the convention? Is it a seminar or does it count toward continuing ed credits?

I belive that they have opportunities to gain credits by sitting in seminars, presentations, etc. It happens every year in NJ and is held in Atlantic City. Novemeber was a great month when I was younger and in school, because of all the time off.

tizzo

Just got back from Jersey week. We were meeting people from NJ all the time, and even being called out by CMs and cab drivers as being from Jersey. And I can assure you we look nothing like the jersey shore freak shows.

That makes sense, since I don't think many of them are from NJ anyway. I don't think any of them are from the Jersey Shore.

I know this was off topic, but as someone from not only NJ but from the Jersey Shore these "freakshows" are a sore subject for me. It was bad enough before that show started airing. When she first moved to FL, more than 10 years ago, my sister-in-law got comments at work that she was not at all what they expected when they heard someone from NJ was starting because she didn't have big hair, her clothes fit her, and she pronounced her r's just fine.

becanya

Original Poster
That makes sense, since I don't think many of them are from NJ anyway. I don't think any of them are from the Jersey Shore.

I know this was off topic, but as someone from not only NJ but from the Jersey Shore these "freakshows" are a sore subject for me. It was bad enough before that show started airing. When she first moved to FL, more than 10 years ago, my sister-in-law got comments at work that she was not at all what they expected when they heard someone from NJ was starting because she didn't have big hair, her clothes fit her, and she pronounced her r's just fine.

I can definitely understand that...I get the TN stereotype all the time. People can't believe I'm from TN because I talk without an accent and I'm actually educated. My desire to avoid WDW during Jersey week has to do w/ the crowds...not the people! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom