Jennifer Lee Stepped Down As CCO of WDAS

Magenta Panther

So Iger kicked out the woman behind Strange World, Raya and the Last Dragon, Encanto, and Wish...

Learned a hard lesson, did you, Bob?

Anyways, good riddance.

Farerb

She was demoted because of the failure of these films (minus Encanto which is probably credited to Jared Bush and Byron Howard). Supervising the Frozen franchise is just a spin. She was a one trick pony. Who would have thought giving the most powerful position to someone based on only ONE success would be such a bad idea?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
She was demoted because of the failure of these films (minus Encanto which is probably credited to Jared Bush and Byron Howard). Supervising the Frozen franchise is just a spin. She was a one trick pony. Who would have thought giving the most powerful position to someone based on only ONE success would be such a bad idea?
She is also credited with being one of the creative leads for Zootopia, Big Hero 6, and Moana. So I think she is more than a "one trick pony".

If she was really as bad as some of you portray she'd no longer be with the company.

Farerb

She is also credited with being one of the creative leads for Zootopia, Big Hero 6, and Moana. So I think she is more than a "one trick pony".

If she was really as bad as some of you portray she'd no longer be with the company.
Being credited as a creative lead only means that she was part of the story trust which is consisted of 20 people. She didn't helm any of them like she did Raya, Strange World and especially Wish. Wish seems to be the one that finally did her in because she was the screenwriter. The company probably expected it to be the next Frozen and it turned out to be their biggest flop.

Miru

Or maybe thereā€™s something else going on.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Being credited as a creative lead only means that she was part of the story trust which is consisted of 20 people. She didn't helm any of them like she did Raya, Strange World and especially Wish. Wish seems to be the one that finally did her in because she was the screenwriter. The company probably expected it to be the next Frozen and it turned out to be their biggest flop.
Raya and Encanto were both good in my opinion. So the only ones that really were of issue were Strange World and Wish, and neither were terrible.

How many other heads of WDAS over the decades lasted longer with movies that didnā€™t do well, lots.

But to bring this back to what I was saying, she isnā€™t a one trick pony, you yourself even just agreed shes been part of creative teams of other movies. So tells me any reason she stepped down is not due to her creative output, otherwise she wouldnā€™t still be working on Frozen one of Disneyā€™s most lucrative franchises.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
She might leave completely after Frozen IV.
Maybe, but again if there was something ā€œwrongā€ she wouldnā€™t be allowed to work on one of Disneyā€™s most profitable franchises. So this doesnā€™t smell like some behind the scenes drama like what happened with Lasseter.

TsWade2

Original Poster
Okay, this may not happen, but I kind of wonder if Jared Bush will bring hand drawn animation back in the studio? Unfortunately, that's just my wishful thinking. But what I also want for WDAS to do is adapt more fairy tales and more myths and folklore in different countries like Momotaro the peach boy from Japan.

Miru

Okay, this may not happen, but I kind of wonder if Jared Bush will bring hand drawn animation back in the studio? Unfortunately, that's just my wishful thinking. But what I also want for WDAS to do is adapt more fairy tales and more myths and folklore in different countries like Momotaro the peach boy from Japan.
Not sure if heā€™s shown inclinations either way, but hopefully heā€™s more open to fan demand for 2D in some form. Hereā€™s hoping for at least a new run of 2D theatrical shorts.

As for the more fairy-tales/myths deal, agreed, but I wonder how well they will be able to handle these stories? Spainā€™s treatment in Wish was barely okay, for example, but I think we should wait before giving Spain a second chance (or just do Portugal instead), and I donā€™t know how a country like Ghana would react to a bad movie based on their folklore. Thereā€™s 184+ countries in all the world so plenty of material. Iā€™m also curious about the possibility of some movies from WDAS in the future being rated PG-13, to compete with Marvel/Lucasfilm without making terrible remakes. Speaking of remakes, I feel like perhaps some of the old live action movies like Babes in Toyland could be remade, especially because it seems the live action division is (over)cooked at this point, moreso than Lucasfilm and the parks combined.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom