Jedi training academy

bgoebel

I know there's already posts on the new concept of signing up rather then being chosen from the audience but I'm looking for experience on how this process worked for them , how long they waited , strategies (I know be there at rope drop :) ). My dd will be 10 and is excited to sign up!

Blueskyze

My son did this last summer, and is looking forward to doing it again this year. We got to the park at rope drop, and my husband and my son immediately headed to the sign-up while I went to get passes for TSMM. The child HAS to be present when you sign up, because the CM will ask him/her a few questions. They assigned us a time to come back (we got into one of the earlier shows so we didn't have long to wait). When we came back, we checked in and then we had to stand around and wait for a few minutes, and then they took all of the kids to get ready to parade them in (my husband went with them while I went over and got us a spot for the show). There were a lot of kids the day that we were there, so both Darth Vader and Darth Maul were there. The kids on the stage fought Vader, and the kids who were on the ground fought Darth Maul. This year my son is hoping to get to fight Darth Maul. It was definitely one of the higlights of our trip - we got awesome pictures (they have a photographer there and will add them to your photopass) and we can't wait to do it again!

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
My son did this last summer, and is looking forward to doing it again this year. We got to the park at rope drop, and my husband and my son immediately headed to the sign-up while I went to get passes for TSMM. The child HAS to be present when you sign up, because the CM will ask him/her a few questions. They assigned us a time to come back (we got into one of the earlier shows so we didn't have long to wait). When we came back, we checked in and then we had to stand around and wait for a few minutes, and then they took all of the kids to get ready to parade them in (my husband went with them while I went over and got us a spot for the show). There were a lot of kids the day that we were there, so both Darth Vader and Darth Maul were there. The kids on the stage fought Vader, and the kids who were on the ground fought Darth Maul. This year my son is hoping to get to fight Darth Maul. It was definitely one of the higlights of our trip - we got awesome pictures (they have a photographer there and will add them to your photopass) and we can't wait to do it again!
This.

I'll add just one thing.... typically the kids will only fight Vader. The will bring out extra bad guys (Darth Maul, Ventress, etc) during Star Wars Weekends and during the peak travel months of the summer and Christmas.

Upvote 0

NYwdwfan

Last year they started lining kids up outside Hollywood and Vine at 8:30 when the park opened at 9. There was another rope there. At 9 they paraded us over to the building formerly known as Sounds Dangerous and started the signups. And as PP stated, kids MUST be present. Good luck - its a LOT of fun!!

Upvote 0

bgoebel

Original Poster
Thanks so much my daughter was selected out of crowd when they did that in 2010 and wasn't sure of what to expect and how early to be there. We will be going star wars weekend if all goes as planned so should we get there even earlier and can I sign both daughters up? My son will be two when we go so probably won't sign him up :) he will be wearing his "judge me by my size do you" Yoda shirt though to cheer them on

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Thanks so much my daughter was selected out of crowd when they did that in 2010 and wasn't sure of what to expect and how early to be there. We will be going star wars weekend if all goes as planned so should we get there even earlier and can I sign both daughters up? My son will be two when we go so probably won't sign him up :) he will be wearing his "judge me by my size do you" Yoda shirt though to cheer them on
One thing to be prepared for at SWW is an early opening. This year DHS listed the opening time of the park at 8:00 AM. I was there for several of them and the park was actually opening around 7:30 AM. If the do this again I would do your best to get to the parks by 6:30 AM or 7:00 AM at the latest.

Upvote 0

bethymouse

Yes- sign up early! The times run out quickly! Yes- kids MUST be present. We seemed to wait like forever at 1st sign ups, and even a while for when they paraded my boys to the stage, but it was WELL worth it! the certificate they get is pretty cool!:D

Upvote 0

gccgrad1996

Is this sign up thing new? My daughters both did it in the summer of 2010 and all we did is head over after lunch to the Sounds Dangerous building where they were lining kids up to take part in the next show. Both did it and had a great time. We did have to wait probably about 20 minutes until it was their time to go, but we never signed them up earlier in the day, we just showed up.

Upvote 0

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Interesting to see that at DL they still do not sign up. They still pick kids from the audience and fights with Vader and Darth Maul. Wonder why WDW decided to change?

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Is this sign up thing new? My daughters both did it in the summer of 2010 and all we did is head over after lunch to the Sounds Dangerous building where they were lining kids up to take part in the next show. Both did it and had a great time. We did have to wait probably about 20 minutes until it was their time to go, but we never signed them up earlier in the day, we just showed up.
Signing up has been around for what seems like several years. They will take walk ups if there is sapce but space being available is rare.
Interesting to see that at DL they still do not sign up. They still pick kids from the audience and fights with Vader and Darth Maul. Wonder why WDW decided to change?
From what I heard the change was made due to guest complaints and feedback. The whole picking thing became a zoo especially during SWW. Kids on that once in a lifetime trip did not get picked, families had to come back over and over again during the day, there was crying, flapping of gums, gnashing of teeth, etc. Having experienced both methods the picking was cooler but the sign up is much more organized and much easier on the guests and the CMs at guest services.

Upvote 0

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
From what I heard the change was made due to guest complaints and feedback. The whole picking thing became a zoo especially during SWW. Kids on that once in a lifetime trip did not get picked, families had to come back over and over again during the day, there was crying, flapping of gums, gnashing of teeth, etc. Having experienced both methods the picking was cooler but the sign up is much more organized and much easier on the guests and the CMs at guest services.
Makes total sense.

Upvote 0

NYwdwfan

Wanted to add that the Photopass photographer will tell you to stop at The Darkroom (I believe) about an hour after the show to have your photos added to your photopass card. You can actually do this at any photopass kiosk - we had to leave right after the Jedi Training for an ADR but I was able to load the photos to our card at the Beach Club photopass desk.

Upvote 0

englanddg

One Little Spark...

I had the same experience in 2010, but in 2011 they made you sign up. I didn't realize the kid had to be present, so I left the hotel early with my daughter, and planned to sign up her 10 year old Uncle too, but couldn't...so he missed out that day (we came back and did it another day with him).

I waited about 30 minutes, as I recall, and it was not a fun wait. But, the show is still worth it.

Another note, if you sign up and it starts to rain around the time of your show, the show will be moved indoors. Don't not show up because you think it's cancelled. My daughter missed out one time because I didn't know that. Just ask a Cast Member if you have questions.

Upvote 0

gccgrad1996

I had the same experience in 2010, but in 2011 they made you sign up. I didn't realize the kid had to be present, so I left the hotel early with my daughter, and planned to sign up her 10 year old Uncle too, but couldn't...so he missed out that day (we came back and did it another day with him).

I waited about 30 minutes, as I recall, and it was not a fun wait. But, the show is still worth it.

Another note, if you sign up and it starts to rain around the time of your show, the show will be moved indoors. Don't not show up because you think it's cancelled. My daughter missed out one time because I didn't know that. Just ask a Cast Member if you have questions.

Thanks for the update. We will be back in August so I will need to keep that in mind.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom