JAWS Remake

Scrooged

Exactly. Have all the good movie premises been used so the only thing left to do is a reboot with more dollars thrown at it ?
The simple answer is - yes. Hollywood made it work once, why not make it work again. You see- the digital landscape has changed the way both movies and television shows are made. I see it reflected in my kids who would rather watch some inane twenty-somethings fill their pool with orbeez than with a long-form story driven tv show. The only two things that have held their attention collectively is "Big City Greens," "Mary Poppins Returns," and Star Wt I digress...

Tent-Pole movies are about the only thing that guarantees an audience will leave their house to go to a movie theater anymore. That's why Superhero movies/Star Wars have been the big crowd pleasers of recent years. Studios want to capitalize off of a fantastic opening weekend or two, then shovel that movie as quickly as their marketing team will allow to digital release. Maximum effect = maximum profit. For the most part re-makes work because they are something that audiences are familiar with and will spend money on to see- especially if nostalgia is capitalized upon. so sequels and direct re-makes have been king the last few years.

Smaller studios (A24, Village Roadshow, etc) have less of a budgetary concern and more of an artistic value to cinema. "Uncut Gems" is the latest example. Adam Sandler turning in his third dramatic role that is serviceable (and his best) will draw people to theaters, but it won't hold them there. Hence the release to digital is imperative for this title. A lot of movies will receive limited release before award season to try and boost their visibility if they receive an Oscar nod/Golden Globe/SAG etc. That having been said, a remake of JAWS is attractive to Universal because they have seen the success of other nostalgic titles such as STranger Things and the interest in the upcoming Ghostbusters: Afterlife. They'll throw a huge budget at it in hopes that it will stick and make a big splash (pun) on opening weekend- but whether or not it lives up to the original or exceeds it is irrelevant.

That's why unless I am interested in the property, then I'll probably stay home and wait for it to hit the digital market to see it. Now there are exceptions to this trend (i.e. "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood," "Get Out," "1917" that are not the norm but will draw people to the theater because they are original properties and from people that have name recognition- but these are few and far between.

WowFactor

There is a rumor that Universal is looking into doing a JAWS remake with Spielberg producing and possibly It's Andy Muschietti as director. It would be a new take on Peter Benchley's 1974 novel.

Thanks for the link. I’d like rather a remake of JAWS ride at Universal’s Epic Universe

Mike S

One of many things that the original perfected was atmosphere, mood, and the ever growing sense of dread. Something which (imo) is easily lost in modern horror jump-scare heavy remakes. Like that video @Mike S posted earlier of the three men simply talking in a boat...that story of the sharks sticks with you, it adds to the suspense and buildup of what's to come. No shark movie since Jaws, despite having better technology, CGI usage, you name it, has ever been able to make going into the water so terrifying. Jaws did so much right, and rightfully earned a spot on the top pedestal in the horror genre. If ever there was a "leave it alone" classic, this is that classic.
The best part of that scene isn’t even in the video. Immediately following that tense conversation the tension is relieved by the sound of whale songs and then all three men singing “Show Me the Way to Go Home.” Then the Shark attacks.

It’s a masterclass.

Scrooged

The best part of that scene isn’t even in the video. Immediately following that tense conversation the tension is relieved by the sound of whale songs and then all three men singing “Show Me the Way to Go Home.” Then the Shark attacks.

It’s a masterclass.

It IS a masterclass. Apparently, Robert Shaw attempted to get into the spirit of the scene by drinking heavily before the first day of shooting it. He got so drunk, that he didn't remember doing the scene at all. Apparently, depserate to make it up to Spielberg, he apologized for his conduct and asked if he could be afforded a half a day re-shoot of the scene. He also stayed up late and re-arranged and re wrote part of the monologue. The next day, Dreyfuss and Scheider were rather put off by the re-shoot, but humbly did their part. Robert shaw nailed it in two takes, and was so good at delivering the monologue that he had Dreyfuss and Scheider's full attention throughout the scene. It has since become one of the most amazing monologues in modern film history.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom