James Gunn Hints At a Potential Future DC-Marvel Crossover

brodie999

Original Poster
James Gunn, the former director of the Guardians of the Galaxy franchise who made the move from Marvel to DC spoke to Empire Online and a crossover between these 2 comic book franchises is more likely to happen than ever.

“I’m certain that’s more likely now that I’m in charge [at DC],” Gunn told the magazine, “Who knows?” However, “That’s many years away, though. I think we have to establish what we’re doing [at DC] first. I would be lying to say that we haven’t discussed it. But all discussions have been very, very light and fun.”

Honestly, I feel like this could be a hint of Disney wanting to buy Warner Bros. and add Harry Potter, Games of Thrones and DC to their already massive collection of IPs and provide more crossover opportunities for both DC and Marvel.

If this happens, it would be a significant development for the media industry with positive and negative implications.

Last edited:

matt78

I think you are reading way to much into this. If anything, this seems like it would be more like Disney and Sony sharing Spider-Man. If this does happen, it will be a long way off because DC is nowhere near established enough to pull this off right now.

If Disney was going to crossover the MCU with anything I would rather they did that with some of their own IP. I'd love to see Gargoyles. I keep picturing a Spider-Man scene where Spider-Man is having a Bruce moment and then the gargoyle wakes ups and reveals itself as Goliath. I think other fun crossovers would be Deadpool with Aliens or Predator.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Can't possibly happen. Government would block any such attempted acquisition. Plus Iger (and Chapek before him) made it clear Disney has no interest in buying another studio at this time.

This is just James Gunn trying to be a bridge between studios/franchises and wishful thinking on his part. I don't expect him to last long enough at WB to actually see this happen ala Roger Rabbit did so many years ago.

brodie999

Original Poster
I think you are reading way to much into this. If anything, this seems like it would be more like Disney and Sony sharing Spider-Man. If this does happen, it will be a long way off because DC is nowhere near established enough to pull this off right now.

If Disney was going to crossover the MCU with anything I would rather they did that with some of their own IP. I'd love to see Gargoyles. I keep picturing a Spider-Man scene where Spider-Man is having a Bruce moment and then the gargoyle wakes ups and reveals itself as Goliath. I think other fun crossovers would be Deadpool with Aliens or Predator.
Maybe. But if it does happen, it'll more likely be a direct-to-video animated film allowed to be on Max and Disney+. Just like how Batman Vs. TMNT was.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Maybe. But if it does happen, it'll more likely be a direct-to-video animated film allowed to be on Max and Disney+. Just like how Batman Vs. TMNT was.
First as was stated in the article and by another poster, this is many many years off if it ever happens.
Second if its MCU related I don't see it being an animated movie, rather it would be an event film similar to an Avenger level film. And it wouldn't be a direct to D+ or Max movie.

But doubt this will ever happen.

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
I could see this happening as a standalone series separate from the MCU, sort of like how Joker is separate from DC's other efforts.

A few movies with cross-over would be a lot of fun if it's good, and I imagine it would make a lot of money.

But it's definitely not a priority of either studio and if it were to theoretically happen it would be many years from now.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I could see this happening as a standalone series separate from the MCU, sort of like how Joker is separate from DC's other efforts.

A few movies with cross-over would be a lot of fun if it's good, and I imagine it would make a lot of money.

But it's definitely not a priority of either studio and if it were to theoretically happen it would be many years from now.
Joker and The Batman are part of the Elseworld section of movies that Gunn/Safran are building on within the new DCU. Its why Joker 2 with Gaga is moving forward and so is The Batman 2.

I highly doubt any of this is happening with a crossover. This is just Gunn answering a "what if" question and saying "sure we've discussed it" as in "Hey Pete, wouldn't it be cool if we could get Disney to do a crossover with us like in the comics, I have Kevin on speed dial should I call him?. Yeah you're right probably won't happen because they don't want to get bogged down in our mess here with DC but its nice to dream, anyways back to figuring out how we fix DC before the public loses interest."

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
Joker and The Batman are part of the Elseworld section of movies that Gunn/Safran are building on within the new DCU. Its why Joker 2 with Gaga is moving forward and so is The Batman 2.

I highly doubt any of this is happening with a crossover. This is just Gunn answering a "what if" question and saying "sure we've discussed it" as in "Hey Pete, wouldn't it be cool if we could get Disney to do a crossover with us like in the comics, I have Kevin on speed dial should I call him?. Yeah you're right probably won't happen because they don't want to get bogged down in our mess here with DC but its nice to dream, anyways back to figuring out how we fix DC before the public loses interest."
Which is exactly what my previous post was saying. I don't expect this to happen, but it's also far from impossible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom