I've never been on a cruise before...

BuddyThomas

Can any regular cruisers on here speak about the embarkation and disembarkation process? I hear it can be…….challenging. I also have never been on a (big) cruise, although fun fact, I used to be a room steward on a gay cruise line (RSVP Vacations) in the 1990’s, but the boat I was assigned to was very small (think Below Deck).

Phonedave

Thank you for the wonderful information about the infrastructure of Bermuda. Their bus system/high speed water ferries and cabs seems like the way to go. I've never been on a Segway before. I inlined skated and some ice skating a some in college etc...that's about the closest to danger that I've experienced before...

If you ever get to Bermuda, there is a Segway tour company located in Dockyard. The operate out of a converted double decker bus. I highly recommend them. Great tours all around Dockyard and then out into the surrounding areas.

We had done this tour 3 times now (it varies each time) and the last one we did was with the owner. It was the last tour of the day, and it was just our party of four. We did the tour and were down in the small village that is nearby. We had a really good vibe going with the tour guide, and he said "I would not suggest to just anybody, buy you guys are really fun. There is a shack down there that makes the best fish sandwiches. Do you all want to go down there, grab as sandwich and some beers and hang out a while". We were very tempted, the guy was really cool, with lots of great local stories (like how his grandmother is the Pablo Escobar of Bermuda, but she smuggles linens, not drugs). However it was our last day and all about was in like 3 hours, so we declined and Segwayed back to the ship.

Phonedave

Can any regular cruisers on here speak about the embarkation and disembarkation process? I hear it can be…….challenging. I also have never been on a (big) cruise, although fun fact, I used to be a room steward on a gay cruise line (RSVP Vacations) in the 1990’s, but the boat I was assigned to was very small (think Below Deck).

They vary in specifics from cruise line to cruise line, but in general.

For embarkation you show up at the terminal. Your luggage gets left outside. Depends on if you are driving in, taking a shuttle, or some other mode, but there are porters all over the place. You leave you luggage with them (this is why you make sure there is a tag on your luggage).

You then stand in a line and go through security where they scan your carry on, then you get in line again and go to the check in counter, where you show them all your stuff. Then you stand in line again until they try to take your picture in front of a fake ship background, then you get on the ship and wander around. Sometimes your rooms are ready as soon as you get on, other times you have to wait until the rooms are all cleaned and opened. It depends on the line and the time you get on board. Once your room is open, you are free to go in it. Your luggage shows up in time to change for dinner (hopefully). If your luggage does not show up, maybe it was confiscated because you tried to bring on contraband, and you have to do the walk to shame to security.

When you disembark, most of the time you leave the majority of your luggage (tagged again) outside your door after the last dinner seating. They collect it for disembarkation the next day. This means you need to have whatever you are wearing for the rest of the evening, whatever you sleep in, and whatever you are going to wear the next morning in your room (as well as any sundry items you need) in a carry on. You are given a disembarkation group. In the morning (early in the morning) you go to your designated waiting area with your carry on (usually one of the lounges or theaters) and wait for your group to be called. You leave the ship, retrieve your luggage from where it is sorted by group, and then head to customs and your transport (there are porters if you need help). Breakfast is usually open in the main buffet and maybe if you are special (loyalty level, suites, etc) you get to eat in one of the restaurants instead.

Sometimes, depending on the line, and the airline if you are flying, you don't have to retrieve the luggage you left out in the hall, instead it gets checked through to the airline.

The exception to the disembarkation process above is for early walk off. Early walk off keeps all of their luggage (no placing in the hall). You are the first group off the ship, but you have to bring all your luggage with you. There is no porter assistance to help you until you get off the ship and into the main area where your luggage would be if you left it in the hall. I would only do this if you don't have small kids and you are trying to make a tight flight.

donaldtoo

My health is back...Hooray...We like the fact that cruises can have excursions as part of their travel to many different and wonderful places. We enjoy that Disney can offer their private island to the Bahamas but do not know much about other cruises...only what we've read on the web. We have heard that cruises offer daytime excursions which really appeal to us.

First, sorry to hear you were sick, but glad to hear your health is now back…!!! :)

On our 5 previous cruises, we’ve done some sort of “excursion” at every port, including just simple, relaxing beach excursions with food and drink included.

Some highlights…

*Carnival Valor - Dec. 2017 - Belize.
The ships “anchor” off shore, as there is no major cruise port (at least as of 2017) at Belize.
We took a tender from the ship out to the reef to do some snorkeling. The reef is the second largest in the world, behind the Great Barrier Reef of Australia.
They had guys on 2 small watercraft slowly patrolling the perimeter, in case anyone had any trouble.
Then, we had lunch, drinks and beach time on a very small island called Bannister Caye (Starfish Island), before tendering back to the ship.

*Carnival Valor - Dec. 2017 - Cozumel.
Guided tour of the city center, including shopping, of course :rolleyes:;). Then to Playa Uvas for lunch, drinks and beach time.

*Carnival Freedom - July 2018 - Montego Bay, Jamaica.
Snorkeling from catamaran in Montego Bay, with unlimited Appleton Rum drinks (but only after you were done snorkeling), then lunch and drinks at Margaritaville.

*Carnival Freedom - July 2018 - Grand Cayman.
Tender to the island, then visit to the Cayman Turtle Centre.

*Carnival Vista - Oct. 2019 - Montego Bay, Jamaica.
To Dolphin Cove to swim with dolphins, then to Doctor’s Cave Beach for food drink and beach time.

*Carnival Vista - Oct. 2019 - Grand Cayman.
Tender to island, another smaller boat out to the shallows (about knee deep to chest deep water) in the north to swim with the rays, then to Rum Point for lunch, drinks, and more beach time.

*Carnival Vista - Oct. 2019 - Cozumel.
Beach excursion with lunch, drinks, beach time and a tequila class and tasting.

*Disney Magic - Dec. 2022 - Cozumel and Progreso.
Cutting to the chase on this one…
Simple, inclusive beach excursions at both ports, as our two young granddaughters were with us. Give those girls a beach, and they’re set…!!!!! :hilarious:

*Carnival Dream - Dec. 2023 - Key West, Florida.
We rented an 8-passenger “golf cart” and set off on our own (granddaughters with us on this one, as well). We visited the southernmost point in the continental USA, The Key West Butterfly and Nature Conservatory, Hemingway House and shops.

*Carnival Dream - Dec. 2023 - Half Moon Cay, Bahamas (private island).
All-day beach excursion.

*Carnival Dream - Dec. 3023 - Nassau, Bahamas.
Self-guided walking tour around Nassau, including Pirates of Nassau, Christ Church Cathedral, shops, etc.

We have another family trip scheduled for WDW in June, but not another cruise, yet…soon, hopefully, as we thoroughly enjoy them…!!!!! :inlove::happy::)

And, just for grins, I’m including a Google Earth of Bannister Caye, the ray area at Grand Cayman, and a sunset pic I took from the ship at Key West…!!! :)

765DB05A-57C8-4B38-90C5-7DE04604D4C0.jpeg

A7D28EBD-F5B9-4FE8-8702-2582C493488B.jpeg
795DDAB2-F543-45B0-A1F0-7A10A7FBC0E9.jpeg

Last edited:

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
I've been on multiple cruise lines and ships over the years. It's my "thing." My husband and I love cruising and our agency hosts multiple group cruises a year on both Celebrity and Royal Caribbean. Every cruise line is different as to how they handle embarkation and debarkation. It can be due to the stateroom class, the purchase of something that gives you a "fastpass" to the front of the line, etc. As @Phonedave explained, it's all rather simple and @Sirwalterraleigh I absolutely agree!! I love the Edge class ships!!

Pam

Ive heard that Bermuda is a very wonderful place to go. My brother has been there before. What great insights about choosing a bigger boat with more things to do. That makes perfect sense! Thank you!
You are welcome! Enjoy Bermuda it’s safe and the people there are so friendly! Make sure to get a rum swizzle!

MR.Dis

Most of my life I had no interest in cruising, but my wife really wanted to try. So at the age of 50, went on first cruise, a Disney cruise. Since, We have gone on 5 other cruises so you can say we became big fans. The best and most fun by far was the DVC members only cruise. It was packed with Disney performers, producers, and personalities. However the price is extremely high -- even for Disney. So while I loved it, it is a one and done. If money is not an issue, I recommend trying one at least once.

Eric Graham

Original Poster
First, sorry to hear you were sick, but glad to hear your health is now back…!!! :)

On our 5 previous cruises, we’ve done some sort of “excursion” at every port, including just simple, relaxing beach excursions with food and drink included.

Some highlights…

*Carnival Valor - Dec. 2017 - Belize.
The ships “anchor” off shore, as there is no major cruise port (at least as of 2017) at Belize.
We took a tender from the ship out to the reef to do some snorkeling. The reef is the second largest in the world, behind the Great Barrier Reef of Australia.
They had guys on 2 small watercraft slowly patrolling the perimeter, in case anyone had any trouble.
Then, we had lunch, drinks and beach time on a very small island called Bannister Caye (Starfish Island), before tendering back to the ship.

*Carnival Valor - Dec. 2017 - Cozumel.
Guided tour of the city center, including shopping, of course :rolleyes:;). Then to Playa Uvas for lunch, drinks and beach time.

*Carnival Freedom - July 2018 - Montego Bay, Jamaica.
Snorkeling from catamaran in Montego Bay, with unlimited Appleton Rum drinks (but only after you were done snorkeling), then lunch and drinks at Margaritaville.

*Carnival Freedom - July 2018 - Grand Cayman.
Tender to the island, then visit to the Cayman Turtle Centre.

*Carnival Vista - Oct. 2019 - Montego Bay, Jamaica.
To Dolphin Cove to swim with dolphins, then to Doctor’s Cave Beach for food drink and beach time.

*Carnival Vista - Oct. 2019 - Grand Cayman.
Tender to island, another smaller boat out to the shallows (about knee deep to chest deep water) in the north to swim with the rays, then to Rum Point for lunch, drinks, and more beach time.

*Carnival Vista - Oct. 2019 - Cozumel.
Beach excursion with lunch, drinks, beach time and a tequila class and tasting.

*Disney Magic - Dec. 2022 - Cozumel and Progreso.
Cutting to the chase on this one…
Simple, inclusive beach excursions at both ports, as our two young granddaughters were with us. Give those girls a beach, and they’re set…!!!!! :hilarious:

*Carnival Dream - Dec. 2023 - Key West, Florida.
We rented an 8-passenger “golf cart” and set off on our own (granddaughters with us on this one, as well). We visited the southernmost point in the continental USA, The Key West Butterfly and Nature Conservatory, Hemingway House and shops.

*Carnival Dream - Dec. 2023 - Half Moon Cay, Bahamas (private island).
All-day beach excursion.

*Carnival Dream - Dec. 3023 - Nassau, Bahamas.
Self-guided walking tour around Nassau, including Pirates of Nassau, Christ Church Cathedral, shops, etc.

We have another family trip scheduled for WDW in June, but not another cruise, yet…soon, hopefully, as we thoroughly enjoy them…!!!!! :inlove::happy::)

And, just for grins, I’m including a Google Earth of Bannister Caye, the ray area at Grand Cayman, and a sunset pic I took from the ship at Key West…!!! :)

View attachment 775688
View attachment 775687View attachment 775686
Thank you so much for the very kind words and the wonderful and beautiful pictures that you sent. I believe it would be so great to travel to those awesome places. Sounds like you're definitely the world traveler. Also, again thank you for the wonderful tips about cruising.

Phonedave

My favorite shop was the one that sold the beautiful glass ornaments

Pam

This guy has a shop in Dockyard. His pottery is outstanding (plus he and his wife are very friendly and fun to talk with)

His "Rockpool" line is gorgeous.

Phonedave

What is a Dark & Stormy?

Ginger Beer and Dark Rum.

Technically if you call it a Dark N' Stormy it has to be made with Goslings Black Seal Rum and Goslings Ginger Beer, since Dark N' Stormy is a trademark of Goslings.

If you call it a Dark 'N' Stormy, a Dark and Stormy, or a Dark & Stormy you can make it with whatever rum and ginger beer you feel like.

It is a Dark and Stormy because you float the dark rum on the ginger beer and it looks like a storm front rolling in.

1711994497065.png

Dark & Stormy and Rum Swizzle are the two quintessential Bermuda cocktails.

Eric Graham

Original Poster
Ginger Beer and Dark Rum.

Technically if you call it a Dark N' Stormy it has to be made with Goslings Black Seal Rum and Goslings Ginger Beer, since Dark N' Stormy is a trademark of Goslings.

If you call it a Dark 'N' Stormy, a Dark and Stormy, or a Dark & Stormy you can make it with whatever rum and ginger beer you feel like.

It is a Dark and Stormy because you float the dark rum on the ginger beer and it looks like a storm front rolling in.

View attachment 776341

Dark & Stormy and Rum Swizzle are the two quintessential Bermuda cocktails.
Sounds very scrumptious and tasty!

Eric Graham

Original Poster
Wow! This Looks very wonderful and decadent: Wish I had the money but that's such a long time to spend on a boat....

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom