"It's Tough To Be A Bug" closing for lengthy refurbishment in July

note2001

One of my favorites, but Hopper was not working when I was there in January. Don't know if he's up and running yet.

I'm surprised they'd allow the show to run without Hopper.
From my understanding, Hopper is one of, if not the most complicated AA Disney has, Including the Yeti. Now he might be a bully and a jerk, but at least Hopper has earned his paycheck over the years :D

Last edited:

jeff59rt

If this was a show it couldn't be done with the main AA broken. But seeing as this is a ride I guess it makes it okay.
Hopper is the second most important part of the show other than the screen, how does that work?

Rescue Ranger

HOPEFULLY this will get an HD update. When I saw this last, a year and a half ago, all effects worked fine but the transfer is just terrible and blurry.

Bairstow

HOPEFULLY this will get an HD update. When I saw this last, a year and a half ago, all effects worked fine but the transfer is just terrible and blurry.

What would be really neat is if they could go the Star Tours 2.0 route and introduce multiple, "branching" storylines.
The show's "variety show" plot really lends itself to this; maybe one show you would see the stink bug, mantis, and tarantula and the next time it would be a goliath scorpion, firefly, and millipede.
Or whatever.

A rolling or randomized order of "acts" appearing in the show would give it some fun re-watchability.

MerlinTheGoat

I've only been on this once since 2010 (it's my least favorite 3D movie on property), but last time I did the projection quality was absolutely awful. The blur and double image crosstalk almost made it unwatchable in fact, the worst looking 3D film on property (even worse than the current state of Philharmagic). I have to wonder whether things have changed any since 2010, from a comment above it sounds like the quality of the film is still awful. If I had to guess, this film has yet to be converted to digital. Muppets and Captain EO looked to have pretty excellent picture quality last time I did them, so i'm assuming they were converted to digital some time ago. Given the picture quality of this and Philharmagic though, i'm assuming those are still using non-digital film...

This should be more than enough time to get the attraction up and working properly again. Hopefully the image quality will be cleaned up (and converted to digital to prevent it from degrading so quickly in the future).

Last edited:

Ignohippo

How Lasseter doesn't cringe every time he sees this thing is beyond me. The animation is horrible.

If a new film is needed to upgrade it to HD, it'd be great to see Pixar redo it. Heck, they could probably do it in a couple of days. Give it to a bunch on interns.

One of the most overrated attractions at WDW IMO.

Rob562

If this was a show it couldn't be done with the main AA broken. But seeing as this is a ride I guess it makes it okay.
Hopper is the second most important part of the show other than the screen, how does that work?

I've never seen it, but I thought I read that there was an alternate projector that projected footage of Hopper on the right side of the screen for instances where the AA was 101.

-Rob

NMBC1993

IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!! This attraction is in desperate need of any kind of attention, I just wish that there was more to this refurb then what's probably going to happen. All I can say is never, I repeat NEVER look at the carpet in the theater with the work lights on....you'll find it creepier than any crawly;)

deix15x8

I've only been on this once since 2010 (it's my least favorite 3D movie on property), but last time I did the projection quality was absolutely awful. The blur and double image crosstalk almost made it unwatchable in fact, the worst looking 3D film on property (even worse than the current state of Philharmagic). I have to wonder whether things have changed any since 2010, from a comment above it sounds like the quality of the film is still awful. If I had to guess, this film has yet to be converted to digital. Muppets and Captain EO looked to have pretty excellent picture quality last time I did them, so i'm assuming they were converted to digital some time ago. Given the picture quality of this and Philharmagic though, i'm assuming those are still using non-digital film...

This should be more than enough time to get the attraction up and working properly again. Hopefully the image quality will be cleaned up (and converted to digital to prevent it from degrading so quickly in the future).

When I was there in October it was amazing how varied the projection qualities were. Captain EO was unwatchable IMO with A Bugs Life not far off. The absolute best looking ones had to be Star Tours (brand new) and Muppets 3D. I actually questioned the whole time if they had refilmed Muppets, but the plot felt the same. It looked perfect. Philharmagic looked fine to me. It wasn't Muppets level good but certainly nothing I questioned. Sourin' could use an upgrade though, that was the only one that had noticeable film deterioration and ruined the ride.

tissandtully

When I was there in October it was amazing how varied the projection qualities were. Captain EO was unwatchable IMO with A Bugs Life not far off. The absolute best looking ones had to be Star Tours (brand new) and Muppets 3D. I actually questioned the whole time if they had refilmed Muppets, but the plot felt the same. It looked perfect. Philharmagic looked fine to me. It wasn't Muppets level good but certainly nothing I questioned. Sourin' could use an upgrade though, that was the only one that had noticeable film deterioration and ruined the ride.

Muppets got digital projection a little while ago and yes it looks fantastic. That film always feels fresh. Star Tours is obviously digital since the refurb, a great ride as well, they use some cool tech with the spies.

Communicore

Muppets seem next gen definitely. Looks really good, too bad it seems dated. It's too "MGM Studios with no BAH-ish" for me.

RSoxNo1

I would think It's Tough to be a Bug has a certain shelf life and at 16 years right now it may be approaching it. The question is, conceptually would could replace it as an attraction underneath the Tree of Life? Is it possible to do a Bugs Land Mini Land in that area? Would a real life animal exhibit work?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom