It's time to end the clapping

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
For some reason Universal still thinks having the team members clap and tell you "great job!" after every single ride is a good thing. It isn't. It's cringey and tone deaf. It doesn't even make sense for many attractions' narratives and theming. You can tell that the TM's hate doing it at worst, or, most of the time, are doing it without actually thinking about it. This type of meaningless corporate gesture does not sit well with anyone because we know it isn't genuine. It's like when I walk into Walgreens, and the employee nearest the entrance yells "Welcome to Walgreens!" - I hate it because I know they hate it and are forced to do it. I'm honestly surprised it's still enforced because it reeks of some upper local manager's meddling who thought forced gestures are the same as good guest service.

Please, Universal. End the clapping.

Rockishcoco

I don’t know if this is true but a team member told me that it’s done to get guest’s attention so that they can give unload instructions. 🤷‍♂️ Just one person though so you’re guess is as good as mine.

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
I don’t know if this is true but a team member told me that it’s done to get guest’s attention so that they can give unload instructions. 🤷‍♂️ Just one person though so you’re guess is as good as mine.

That seems unlikely because to my knowledge, no other theme park does this. Well, except, even more misguidedly, Fun Spot. Disney, for example, has a significant number of attractions where guests could easily exit prematurely and unload instructions are more necessary, but they don't do it.

Also if it were for safety reasons, it would be required. Instead it is just strongly encouraged. My assumption is that it's an attempt to create a perception of enthusiasm from the TM's and to solicit the wanted response from the riders. As in, riders are more likely to clap and cheer after a ride if an employee is "encouraging" them to do it.

SSH

I believe I remember reading that it was part of the brand positioning- at UO, you're part of the entertainment magic - vs just a spectator. This was their dominant value prop for years. Applause is one of the ways their brand teams wanted to bring that to life: audiences always applaud a great performance to show their delight/pleasure. YOU as the guest were part of that performance and earned the applause- great job. Etc, Etc.

It feels forced and dated now, but that, i believe, was the original rationale.

Minnesota disney fan

For some reason Universal still thinks having the team members clap and tell you "great job!" after every single ride is a good thing. It isn't. It's cringey and tone deaf. It doesn't even make sense for many attractions' narratives and theming. You can tell that the TM's hate doing it at worst, or, most of the time, are doing it without actually thinking about it. This type of meaningless corporate gesture does not sit well with anyone because we know it isn't genuine. It's like when I walk into Walgreens, and the employee nearest the entrance yells "Welcome to Walgreens!" - I hate it because I know they hate it and are forced to do it. I'm honestly surprised it's still enforced because it reeks of some upper local manager's meddling who thought forced gestures are the same as good guest service.

I've never had that happen and did not know it was a thing? Maybe we were just lucky, or maybe we just didn't think it was that annoying, I don't know. I really don't remember any of this at all.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member

Harry Potter Lol GIF by Sky

champdisney

I think its the faults of the attractions. Universal has designed most of their attractions with the same stakes are high... "YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT" formula, then, everyone's greeted with lukewarm applause at the end.

GuyFawkes

I think it's cool on the Hulk. I kind of like it when the Hulk is just banging people through. Depends on the crowd as well. At night with a younger crowd, the people in line seem to join in. During the day let's say noon it's on the stupid side.

lebeau

I'm sure it's happened before. I don't remember any specific incidents of lukewarm clapping. I wasn't looking for it, but I have to think that we rarely ever experienced clapping at the end of a ride. I think maybe Fast and Furious but I have repressed that memory.

Weather_Lady

I noticed a lot less clapping on our last visit (3 weeks ago). I only remember them doing at the end of the Mummy, and the Velocicoaster -- and for the latter, as @disneygeek90 mentioned, the clapping of the TMs was drowned out by the clapping and cheering of the guests!

I definitely didn't miss it on any of the attractions where it wasn't happening, though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom