It's official, Disney buys Pixar

Captain Chaos

For all you Eisner fans, let's remember one thing.. Jobs was taking Pixar elsewhere is Eisner stayed around... Eisner killed the Disney-Pixar relationship.. Thank God he is out of there now.. Iger is slowly reversing the negative attitude Eisner gave to Disney... Hopefully Iger stays on the same course.. Reverse Eisner's curse.... Great start to Iger's CEO run...

Computer Magic

HauntedPirate said:
Sounds like Microsoft.... :lol: No, I'm not a Mac fanatic. :)

Wow, my 1000th post.... too bad it wasn't more substantive....Ok, I'll add more. :)

I hope this brings a creative boost back to Feature Animation, and some spark to WDI. I'll be very curious to see how Disney handles the Pixar culture, if they let it survive and thrive, or bring it into the fold and suffocate it. Obviously, I would like the former. I would suggest that expectations be reigned back a bit... kinda like Everest - it's not going to be the 'be all end all' of attractions. Same thing here, I wouldn't expect a renaissance in Animation because of the acquisition and personnel placement (Good for Lasseter!)
Actaully I thank it's a very good 1000 post. :lol:

I like the comparision of MS...if you can't bet em buy it or steal it :lookaroun

And if you see some of my recent post, I stated the same thing. I hope Disney allows Pixar to what they do best and not micro manage them. Remember why Lassatter's left the first time.

stingrock23

This is great news. He should appreciate what the Disney theme park experience is all about, and hopefully more quality attractions will be created the way they should be.

flscooman

stingrock23 said:
This is great news. He should appreciate what the Disney theme park experience is all about, and hopefully more quality attractions will be created the way they should be.
Stingrock I need mo cowbell:lol:

flscooman

Jobs is a control freak. when he returned to apple as a "consultant" took him less than 24 months to have controlling interest. I read a tongue and cheek headline somewhere.

"Pixar buys Disney for -7.4 billion." I'm cautiously optimistic

KevinPage

peter11435 said:
I think you mean David Stainton. Andrew Stanton works for Pixar and was the man behind Finding Nemo. David Stainton is the President of Walt Disney Feature Animation.

Oops, you are right, my bad. I feel bad for Andrew having the same last name as David. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Shaman

Corrus said:
And that.... has yet to be seen, I don't see Iger on the throne for very long... psssst... IMO

I think Iger can hold his own....but he should be real careful...Jobs could cleverly run him over and usurp the title of CEO before he can do anything about it....

I hope Iger can hold Jobs back...heck, give Jobs the chairman title....but not CEO...not yet.

wdwmaniac

So how any word on how Disney is going to run all it's animation studios? Circle 7, WDFA, and Disney Toon Studios, plus now PIXAR...

Shaman

ThreeCircles said:
I'd watch for Jobs to skip town in the not too distant future anyway. If he really wanted to be involved in running/directing an animation/media company, he wouldn't have sold Pixar in the first place. He won't stay. His interest lies in Silicon Valley not Hollywood.

I think in the future...Silicon Valley and Hollywood will be business partners....if not one and the same...Jobs is looking ahead...his vision is very similar to Iger's I would imagine...of a future where content will be distributed directly to the consumer...no more theaters...no more television...no more music CDs...Everything will be just a small click away on some electronic device Apple will create. And they will work with Disney to push the envelope and pave the way for others to follow.

There is more to this Pixar-Disney deal than meets the eye. 7 billion is a lot of money for six movies and the people who made them.

But just as easily as it all could work, it could also crumble...I hope it doesn't crumble.

objr said:
I hope Iger can hold Jobs back...heck, give Jobs the chairman title....but not CEO...not yet.

Iger is going to be given the credit for this deal and should fear a Jobs CEO as much as he should fear a return of Eisner. Iger isn't going anywhere.

And, for that matter, I have the strong feeling that Jobs won't really be around long anyway. As I've said before, if he wanted to run a media company or an animation company, well, then why did he just sell one in which he had the majority stake? Wouldn't make much sense now would it?

objr said:
I think in the future...Silicon Valley and Hollywood will be business partners....if not one and the same...Jobs is looking ahead...his vision is very similar to Iger's I would imagine...of a future where content will be distributed directly to the consumer...no more theaters...no more television...no more music CDs...Everything will be just a small click away on some electronic device Apple will create. And they will work with Disney to push the envelope and pave the way for others to follow.

There is more to this Pixar-Disney deal than meets the eye. 7 billion is a lot of money for six movies and the people who made them.

But just as easily as it all could work, it could also crumble...I hope it doesn't crumble.

You might want to take a closer look at some of the comments Jobs made yesterday if you really believe this...

luvJC4saken

From the statements I've read it looks like Iger understands what Disney's niche is. It's animation, period. Disney's got to get back in the hotseat and I think this is a great way to do it. He also sounds like he understands what makes Pixar so great and is determined to allow Pixar the freedom to continue with its unique creative empowering business culture.

All that said, I guess we'll just have to see. From what it sounds like Disney's Feature Animation will remain open under that name, while Pixar will remain Pixar. This kind of confuses me. Granted the same person (Ed Catmull) will lead both, but how does one decide how many films you release as Pixar (or as Pixar Disney as I understand it) and how many films you release as Disney?

The thing is this shows that animation is important to Disney once again. I hope it works out for them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom