It's official, Disney buys Pixar

wdwmaniac

Now I have a question..Will Disney Keep PIXAR's Name? like Muppets Holding LLC or Baby E. LLC? or since Disney is saying that it is being mergered with Disney Feature animation will it take on some kind of Disney name? ABC Family...

Rosso11

wdwmaniac said:
Now I have a question..Will Disney Keep PIXAR's Name? like Muppets Holding LLC or Baby E. LLC? or since Disney is saying that it is being mergered with Disney Feature animation will it take on some kind of Disney name? ABC Family...

I'm sure they will keep the name for a while. The Pixar name is worth a lot of money right now. People have a lot more faith in Pixar movies than Disney movies at this point. The Pixar name gets people into seats.

justintheschola said:
Steve Jobs now holds the most power on the Disney Board. Steve doesn't make anything less than perfect. He's similar to Walt Disney in the way he absoultly demands the best out of everything he works on.

Same thing could probally be said of Lasster as well. As a Disney fan, Pixar fan and an Apple Nerd, this is really great news. Disney movies and theme parks will be nothing but plussed. :sohappy: :sohappy:

Incorrect. Jobs has no more power or say than any of the other directors. The only "power" the stock gives him is the power to vote the shares. Even though he is the largest single stock holder his entire holding will still account for less than 2% of outstanding shares. That's not enough to sway anything.

I'd watch for Jobs to skip town in the not too distant future anyway. If he really wanted to be involved in running/directing an animation/media company, he wouldn't have sold Pixar in the first place. He won't stay. His interest lies in Silicon Valley not Hollywood.

rjmagic16 said:
I do not like this. Pixar is now under the "Control" of Disney, what happens if there are budget cuts and Disney tells Pixar that the budget for the movie is only 80 million instead of the 100-150 million that they are use to.

It is great that Disney now has the capability to make great Animated movies
but what will they do with this new found company. Will they tinker or will they let the Pixar Culture that has given us great movies stay alive.

your thoughts or comments?

Disney has integrated other companies into the fold and allowed them to essentially run themselves. ESPN is probably one of the better examples. Miramax also existed this way for quite some time until Eisner began to exert more and more influence on that studio.

My guess is that Pixar will be allowed to operate as they have been. Especially at this early stage. Down the line (meaning 10+ years) things may change, but Iger is smart enough to know that change come gradually.

And Disney made outstanding animated movies WAY before Pixar was a thought. I love the fact that people consider six hit films as the be all and end all of the studio. It's SIX films! SIX! Wait until the first Pixar flop... Trust me, it will come.

imagineer boy

This is very very good news. Hopefully this won't mean a crappy Toy Story 3? With a quality Pixar version instead? This is a very good move, and kudos to the Pixar board of directors and Iger. I also found it very interesting that John Lassiter will be creative executive at WDI. This also could mean the end of sub-par attractions and parks. Let's keep our fingers crossed that it is!

KevinPage

With the whole Save Disney hoopla and Pixar walking away from the table a few years ago, who would have thought this would EVER happen.

I LOVE the fact that Pixar is now really a part of Disney and Lasseter will get alot of "stroke".

Let's just hope they don't let Andrew Stainton anywhere near Pixar Studios. As a matter of fact, fire the man if he even attempts to book a flight to Washington state. :lol:

Let's also hope that Iger doesn't let any other clowns interject into Pixar's dealings and screw things up.

Let's also hope that Pixar Sequel Studios is now a complete afterthought.

ImaginEAR

I saw this on the news and it was enough to make me come back to WDWMagic and see everyone's opinions.

I, for one, am very happy about the decision. John Lassatter will be a great asset to Disney, and we can see some more great Disney/Pixar movies.

Rosso11

ThreeCircles said:
Even though he is the largest single stock holder his entire holding will still account for less than 2% of outstanding shares. That's not enough to sway anything.

Are sure about the 2%. I'm pretty sure I read on more than one site that it is much closer to 6%. Steve owned 51% of Pixar which means he will be receiving about 3.7 billion dollars worth of Disney stock. I could be wrong.

Rosso11 said:
Are sure about the 2%. I'm pretty sure I read on more than one site that it is much closer to 6%. Steve owned 51% of Pixar which means he will be receiving about 3.7 billion dollars worth of Disney stock. I could be wrong.

I had heard someone on Bloomberg Radio state his total share would account for just under 2%. I could be wrong. But, even at 6%, it's still not enough to sway any major decisions.

peter11435

ThreeCircles said:
I had heard someone on Bloomberg Radio state his total share would account for just under 2%. I could be wrong. But, even at 6%, it's still not enough to sway any major decisions.
You would be surprised. I think 6% is around if not more than what the Bass brothers once had. They had considerable influence on the company.

peter11435

KevinPage said:
Let's just hope they don't let Andrew Stainton anywhere near Pixar Studios. As a matter of fact, fire the man if he even attempts to book a flight to Washington state. :lol:

I think you mean David Stainton. Andrew Stanton works for Pixar and was the man behind Finding Nemo. David Stainton is the President of Walt Disney Feature Animation.

GenerationX

I'm not a Steve Jobs fan or an Apple fan at all, but I'm a huge Pixar fan. I think the Pixar creative team does extraordinary work, and I think Disney management is smart enough to let them continue doing just that. This is great news! :sohappy:

Pluto Parking

GenerationX said:
I'm not a Steve Jobs fan or an Apple fan at all, but I'm a huge Pixar fan. I think the Pixar creative team does extraordinary work, and I think Disney management is smart enough to let them continue doing just that. This is great news! :sohappy:

BEST DISNEY NEWS IN 20 YEARS!

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Computer Magic said:
It shows the failure of Disney to do it themselves over the last 10 years and had to go out and buy it.

Sounds like Microsoft.... :lol: No, I'm not a Mac fanatic. :)

Wow, my 1000th post.... too bad it wasn't more substantive....Ok, I'll add more. :)

I hope this brings a creative boost back to Feature Animation, and some spark to WDI. I'll be very curious to see how Disney handles the Pixar culture, if they let it survive and thrive, or bring it into the fold and suffocate it. Obviously, I would like the former. I would suggest that expectations be reigned back a bit... kinda like Everest - it's not going to be the 'be all end all' of attractions. Same thing here, I wouldn't expect a renaissance in Animation because of the acquisition and personnel placement (Good for Lasseter!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom