Trip Report It's fun in the Summer Time - WDW August 2014

Our family recently returned from a week-long trip to WDW in mid-August. Our trip included over 1100 miles of driving each way, stays at Art of Animation and Contemporary Resort, and a bunch of firsts for our family (7DMT, Wild Africa Trek, Cinderella’s Royal Table, and dinner at BoG)

In addition to a normal trip report, I’m going to post three additional things and will link to them once available
  • Dealing with the heat in parks (as you can imagine, Florida in August is pretty hot and humid)
  • The Wild Africa Trek (spoiler: it’s super-awesome)
  • Thoughts on MM+

Day 1 Actually more like day 2.5, we left our home the day before and began the 1100 mile drive. This was the second time we made the drive. What seemed to work for us was to leave early afternoon and drive through the night with my better half and I switching driving duties every two hours or so. The kids slept through the night and we would arrive at WDW a bit weary but pretty pumped due to all the caffeine. Last time we did the drive, I tried to reduce the unexpected bathroom stops by wearing adult diapers (not kidding) but in the end, decided it was way more trouble than it’s worth. (if anyone wants more yucky details, I’ll be happy to elaborate, but you’ll probably regret asking).

Some statistics of our drive:
Total miles driven 1200, why the extra mileage? ‘cuz we forgot some things and decided to turn around for them instead of driving on
Total time driving: just under 20 hours, we easily wasted two hours minutes going back
Energy drinks: 3 including the nasty tasting but effective 5 Hour Energy, all of the flavors might as well as be “” because that’s what they taste like.
Starbucks Double-Shots: 3 (this was the drink of choice for my better half, I preferred the energy drink sampler)
Gallons of fuel: 48, costing about $170 dollars

Our itinerary had us staying at Art of Animation for two nights before switching to the Contemporary Resort. We got to AoA early so we couldn’t check-in online. Instead we just waited in line with all of the other chumps. While we were waiting, they brought out Chip/Dale and a few other characters for M&G in the lobby. The kids went nuts and we were happy they were no longer complaining. I hadn’t experienced this at any other resort so kudos AoA for that. Our room at AoA is a standard room which barely fits us. I vowed to get a bigger room even if it costs more next time.

We arrived at MK around 1pm and happily, we had made FP+ reservations. Everyone was excited to ride 7DMT (a first for us). First thing we noticed getting to MK was that the bus stop for AoA is just about as far as possible from the park entrance. Since we’ve mostly been under AC, the walk to the gates of MK was our first real experience with the heat and it was definitely discouraging. I was instantly worried that the heat was going to take a HUGE toll on us the rest of the trip. Fortunately, the park wasn't that crowded and best of all, no giant tour groups. There appeared to be some small factions from Taiwan, UAE, and Japan. They were blessedly few in number and pretty courteous by comparison to the Argentine mob we experienced two years ago.

We managed to use our FP’s for 7DMT. Though she’d eventually love it, our six year old wasn't so sure about the ride at the start, but the 9 year old was hooked. The first cave in that ride was just spectacular. Our infant doesn’t get to ride, but by the end of the trip, I realize just how incredible it is to have him around and allow the older kids to ride twice using the rider swap. The standby line holds at a steady 90 minutes until early evening when it drops to 65. The heat is pretty oppressive but some light showers have made it somewhat more bearable. We headed back to the hotel right after Wishes happy and excited for the week to come.

uKom4vf.jpg

Where Dreams Come True indeed! Arriving at Disney (esp after the long drive) is like the realization of a long dream, you arrive full of excitement and glee.

5yse6J4.jpg

Art of Animation Resort!

IpUqrYa.jpg

The heat and humidity couldn't keep away the crowds who were pouring in, even at 1pm. However, this is noticeably less people than during Christmas time.

j4jxLDe.jpg

Despite the renovations around the hub, the scenery is still beautiful

pPYg6EI.jpg

An old favorite. The first time I looked down over London and saw the moving cars, I could almost believe.

4IE9dIO.jpg

Seven Dwarves Mine Train!

DcyXlxc.jpg

Adventureland Looms large and inviting doesn't it?

Thoughts for the day: 7DMT, despite all the naysayers that it’s not an E-ticket attraction, is fantastic. It’s a great balance of thrills and theming and I’m enchanted by the atmosphere. I predicted that this will be the star attraction of this trip for us. Finally, the Broccoli Salad at Columbia Harbor House is freakin delicious. I would eat this many times this trip. We’ve stayed at a variety of Disney properties across the range and AoA, despite its newness was definitely closer to Pop Century in terms of level of comfort than the nicer resorts we’ve experienced. That said, the decorations were great and there were lots of happy people milling about the resort. If we didn’t need more space and if the bus stops were more convenient, I could easily see our family staying here.

Last edited:

FlaggNL

Hi there! Thanks! Yes, as far as FastPasses go, you can make your three FastPass+ reservations ahead of time, online either via the MDE website or app (you can also change reservations that way). Afterwards, once you are in the park, after you've used your three reserved FastPasses, you can add additional FastPasses, one at a time at kiosks as opposed to at the attractions themselves. You can add FastPasses for any attraction from the kiosk so no need to run through the park grabbing FastPasses. Be warned that additional FastPasses for the super-popular attractions will be difficult if not impossible. For example, you are unlikely to get TSM or RnR unless someone cancels their FP+ reservation, ditto 7DMT, Soarin', or TT. They tend to have all disappeared by 10 or 11am.

Here's a list of kiosk locations. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/fastpass-plus-kiosks/

Thanks for all this usefull information!

seafoodbuffet

Original Poster
Loved your report!! I saw the crazy airplane writing when I was there too! Our trips were the same time! It was brutally hot... Thank you for sharing :)

Thanks! The sky writer guy was interesting. I'm not exactly sure what he was trying to accomplish but his messages were certainly amusing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom