Trip Report "It's for work, I swear!"

When I have my students complete identification questions, I always make them give me the who, what, when, where, and why of the word. So that's what I’m going to give you.

Who: Myself and @lostpro9het

What: Another trip to Disney

When: March 19 – 23

Where: Pop Century

Why: Here's perhaps the most important bit of info. It's not for fun trip (yes it is). It's for work, I swear! Sean has a conference. He cannot go to Orlando without me. He just can't.

The seeds of this trip were planted around October of last year. Sean mentioned a big IT conference and said he probably wouldn't go. Fast forward to a few months ago and he's decided he's going.

First things first...I book airfare via SouthWest. Let me tell you now. I HATE FLYING. I'm convinced we are all going to die. I've been reading a book to learn strategies to help with this, so we (and you) will see how it goes.

I had to do some research regarding the Orlando Convention Center, conference hotels (not a Disney one in sight – boo), and all the costs associated with the trip. We were trying to find a hotel that fit the following qualifications: remained within the per diem, free transport to Disney or Disney Springs OR within walking distance of DS. Guess what? None of those fit.

We chose Cabana Bay Resort at Universal. I had resigned myself to the possibility of not visiting WDW. Sacrilege, I say. I wouldn't have minded staying there, but if there's a Disney alternative, I'm taking it. Fast forward to today. We were trying to arrange a shuttle to/from the airport. It was approx. $70 RT for the both of us and we'd be at the mercy of Mears. I then looked up rental car prices. They weren't bad, plus we wouldn't be reliant on the shuttle AND we could visit Disney AND have all of our Disney food choices. This is really what we wanted.

I crunched the numbers.

Cabana Bay was almost $900, plus $12 for parking.

Pop Century WITH a rental car was $793. No brainer. I canceled Cabana Bay asap and booked Pop with a car rental.

Everything (except my FP selections) have been planned.

What can you expect on this trip:
  • Me flying – yikes. I'm not as nervous as I usually am about flying, so I take that as a good sign.
  • Me driving in Orlando. - I'm taking Sean to/from the convention center. Parking is $15/day (unless someone knows something I don't), so that's not even an option.
  • Me solo at the parks – I'm going to ride some rides solo and get some character photos.
We're super-excited that we will be at Disney 2-ish weeks.

MegRuss626

I bundled the car rental and hotel on Expedia, so that means I couldn't link the resort to MDE for a few days. You need an actual Disney confirmation number. This is kind of a pain, BUT the convenience of it all (the bundling aspect) makes it tolerable.

I've called three days in a row for a number. CMs have varied in their responses and levels of Disney enthusiasm.

Today was my lucky day and didn't have to wait on hold. I received the number and quickly linked the reservation.

Next up was online checkin. I was unable to do this because I had already made my requests through Expedia. At least I'm assuming that's why. I've heard about these elusive king-sized beds at Pop. I have requested one. We shall see. We also have a standard room, so it may be a two-day walk before I get to the busses.

And horrors of all horrors...I will have wait at an uncovered bus stop (unless something has changed). First world problems, I know.

I'm excited about hitting our old stomping grounds. I'm curious to see if anything has changed.

We were lucky enough to score an elusive king size bed at Pop in 2015! Wishing you luck!

imahistorygeek

Original Poster
I'm wondering how you'll do after being in so many wonderful places then going to a value. Our last trip we went from Moderate back to a value and that was an eye opener.

What am I saying... You'll be at Disney, who cares where you'll stay.:rolleyes:

We stayed in All Star Music or Sports a couple of years ago after staying exclusively deluxe. It's the small things we missed. It wasn't bad at all, just different. But like you said, we're at Disney, so that's what counts.

sheriffwoody

This sounds like a blast! I'd love for my husband's annual meeting to be in Orlando because I would totally tag along and live it up at Disney. His is usually in St. Pete/Naples/Marco Island. We just tag a short trip onto the end :D

I hope things work out with the flying! I think the fact that you're willing to work on coping is a good sign...a cocktail at the airport might not hurt either.

imahistorygeek

Original Poster
I'll be the first to admit I have done zero research on refurbishment of Pop. Is there anything new for which I should be on the lookout?

And, since we've chosen a standard room, what is our building possibility? I think we've stayed in the 70s and maybe the 50s, but that was before the different room selections (i.e. preferred view).

I was going to ask about a coffee maker, but remembered there is a Dunkin Donuts across from the Convention Center.

One more question...what is the best way to get to the Convention Center from Pop? Directions have us taking the highway, but rush hour is a thing to be avoided, if possible. There's a road that runs almost parallel. Should we take that road?

imahistorygeek

Original Poster
Side note: The last flight I was on was actually to Orlando. That was several years ago. I think it was a Delta flight. I drank quite a bit right before the flight to ease my anxiety. It worked right up until boarding. After that, I was a wreck. I the white-knuckled person sitting beside you. I pretty much stayed quiet the entire flight except for asking about every single noise. I'm hoping to avoid that this go around and just enjoy flying.

On our way back, as we were actually landing, about to hit the runway, a person behind me pulled out her cell phone and started talking. Talk about being anxiety at an all time high. I know the plane was fine, but still.

Misterdcp

Side note: The last flight I was on was actually to Orlando. That was several years ago. I think it was a Delta flight. I drank quite a bit right before the flight to ease my anxiety. It worked right up until boarding. After that, I was a wreck. I the white-knuckled person sitting beside you. I pretty much stayed quiet the entire flight except for asking about every single noise. I'm hoping to avoid that this go around and just enjoy flying.

On our way back, as we were actually landing, about to hit the runway, a person behind me pulled out her cell phone and started talking. Talk about being anxiety at an all time high. I know the plane was fine, but still.
I hope the flying is a non issue for this time and you can just enjoy the trip.

LeighM

I flew for the first time for our trip to WDW in October. I had an anxiety attack soon after booking the flight LOL. I'm not even afraid of the plane crashing but instead I was scared of more probably things - air pressure changes causing a migraine, an asthma attack, a blood clot with my poor circulation in my legs LOL. Never mind it was just a 2 hour flight :) So my doctor prescribed some anti anxiety meds. I'm typically extremely sensitive to medication so in the days leading up to the trip I experimented to find the perfect dosage for me - and realized that half a .5mg tablet made me very sleepy. Figured that would work since it was an early flight and I could sleep thru it. Nope. I got to the terminal and I was so close to being one of those people that you see on TV that cause security to get suspicious. So I was sitting there popping those pills like they were Tic Tacs and nothing was working. Darn things didn't even make me sleepy LOL. I can only imagine how bad it would've been if not for the potential overdosing :)

Zipadeelady

I don't mind flying at all but I have an issue with heights. My heart starts pounding and I swear i'm sweating buckets. All that personal stuff just to say I feel for you. Hope all goes well. Can you get an anxiety pill from the doctor to take right before the flight. Just have @lostpro9het hold you up while your boarding.:)

imahistorygeek

Original Poster
I Can you get an anxiety pill from the doctor to take right before the flight. Just have @lostpro9het hold you up while your boarding.:)

One the things the book recommends is no alcohol and pills. It wants you to deal with the problem so you will not have to use those. I'm not saying I will not have alcohol, but I'm leery of taking meds without knowing how they will affect me.

Sean does not like flying with me. :) I'm doing this for him as well. I want to be able to travel places together you can't get to by car or that are just too far away to drive.

imahistorygeek

Original Poster
I flew for the first time for our trip to WDW in October. I had an anxiety attack soon after booking the flight LOL. I'm not even afraid of the plane crashing but instead I was scared of more probably things - air pressure changes causing a migraine, an asthma attack, a blood clot with my poor circulation in my legs LOL. Never mind it was just a 2 hour flight :) So my doctor prescribed some anti anxiety meds. I'm typically extremely sensitive to medication so in the days leading up to the trip I experimented to find the perfect dosage for me - and realized that half a .5mg tablet made me very sleepy. Figured that would work since it was an early flight and I could sleep thru it. Nope. I got to the terminal and I was so close to being one of those people that you see on TV that cause security to get suspicious. So I was sitting there popping those pills like they were Tic Tacs and nothing was working. Darn things didn't even make me sleepy LOL. I can only imagine how bad it would've been if not for the potential overdosing :)

I think all that nervousness overrides anything else based on my experience.

Misterdcp

I'm wondering how you'll do after being in so many wonderful places then going to a value. Our last trip we went from Moderate back to a value and that was an eye opener.

What am I saying... You'll be at Disney, who cares where you'll stay.:rolleyes:
I had the same thought when I first booked as I always stayed at POR (1 star at FW but it was in a luxury camper) and now a Value, but I'm only staying 2 nights so I plan to maximize my park time and basically only sleep at the resort anyway

sheriffwoody

One the things the book recommends is no alcohol and pills. It wants you to deal with the problem so you will not have to use those. I'm not saying I will not have alcohol, but I'm leery of taking meds without knowing how they will affect me.

Sean does not like flying with me. :) I'm doing this for him as well. I want to be able to travel places together you can't get to by car or that are just too far away to drive.
I used to be scared of flying. For me it was just the takeoff and landing. I did breathing exercises through both (counting and concentrating hard on breathing helped me tune out what was happening outside of my body), and eventually the fear started to fade. It was gradual, over the course of a few years, but I don't get nearly as nervous anymore!

lostpro9het

Not entirely true. I have no problems flying solo or as a couple. We just dont agree upon the appropriate level of ridiculousness that one should display when flying is all...:D

MinnieM123

Premium Member

That is so obnoxious and reckless. It's one of my pet peeves if I see some idiot do that, before the pilot has given the all clear for any electronic devices.

Sorry to hear that you don't like flying, though. I love it--I think flying is exciting! :happy:

imahistorygeek

Original Poster
No new updates, but a couple of questions:
1. Does Pop have refrigerators?
2. Does Southwest offer wifi on the plane? If yes, have you used it and what are your thoughts? The flight is 1.5 hours and I thought it would be a good time to get some work done.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
No new updates, but a couple of questions:
1. Does Pop have refrigerators?
2. Does Southwest offer wifi on the plane? If yes, have you used it and what are your thoughts? The flight is 1.5 hours and I thought it would be a good time to get some work done.
Yes, Pop has refrigerators.
Southwest has wifi but it is not free. And the actual flight time from take-off in Atlanta to Orlando is right around an hour (airlines pad flight timing) and it goes fast, especially with the interruptions of beverage service/cleanup.
I recommend skipping the wifi and doing work that doesn't require it or reading. :)

LadyBelle

In the Parks
No
That is so obnoxious and reckless. It's one of my pet peeves if I see some idiot do that, before the pilot has given the all clear for any electronic devices.

Sorry to hear that you don't like flying, though. I love it--I think flying is exciting! :happy:

I have that same fear as well; However, I *think* I accidentally left my cell phone on the entire flight home (not on airplane mode either). Short flight, but it still freaked me out that I was one of *those* people. :eek:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom