"It's fantasy (or a movie), we don't have to explain it"

mharrington

Original Poster
What I don't understand is why people cannot realize that those stories in Fantasyland were IP's. Disney didn't create Peter Pan or Cinderella or Snow White and more. He created a story line, polished up for entertainment purposes that for some reason people call non-IP when nothing could be further from the truth. There are outside IP's and there are a few inside created IP's but all were a form of Intellectual Properties. Why can't people just get past that foolishness of defining the origin and just appreciate the Disney spin which is pretty much all Disney ever did. Mickey Mouse and his other character friends where all creations and you would get pretty tired of seeing nothing but them. Star Wars, Toy Story, Muppets, Marvel, Guardians and Tron, just to name a few are now Disney spins. Why not use them in whatever story line or genre the story fits in. The land really shouldn't matter, it is the quality of the entertainment that is important in my opinion.

Thanks for adding to my point.

cloudboy

How could "The Princess and the Frog" fit in Fantasyland? It's not set in Europe, it's set in New Orleans. That certainly doesn't fit in a castle courtyard.

You also say that everything in Small World is based on a fairy tale. Does that mean that the Pixar films are fairy tales? Or "The Three Caballeros" in Mexico? Or "The Lion King" in Africa?

Or is perhaps world peace itself a fairy tale?

A great example of theme shift. Fantasyland isn't, or at least wasn't, Europe. That is just where it has now ended up because of our shifting notions of fantasy. Europe certinaly didn't fit the old Submarine Voyage theme, and before Pooh Mr Toad's Wild Adventure was not European, either. Nor were the teacups.

Small World (and Pooh) were as I said the big exceptions here, but given the options, it would be the most logical if you had to choose. And as for the World Peace being a fairy tale, I agree. :)

mharrington

Original Poster
A great example of theme shift. Fantasyland isn't, or at least wasn't, Europe. That is just where it has now ended up because of our shifting notions of fantasy. Europe certinaly didn't fit the old Submarine Voyage theme, and before Pooh Mr Toad's Wild Adventure was not European, either. Nor were the teacups.

Actually, they all were of European origin. "20,000 Leagues Under the Seas" was written by Jules Verne, a Frenchman, and Pooh, Mr. Toad and the teacups were all based on stories of English (i.e., British) origin.

Jrb1979

First I will say I hate how the only way they will add a new attraction now is if they can slap an IP onto that will sell merch.

Second I hate what they are changing Epcot into. It's just another IP park. I would have loved them to continue with having no IP in Epcot. Instead of Nemo or Frozen actually finish some of the original planned attractions.

Look I understand why Disney slaps IP everywhere but what I don't understand is why fans want IP everywhere. Right now so many people posting wanting Encanto in the parks Doesn't anyone like original attractions anymore.

kalel8145

IMO I think a lot of the popularity in IP is due to parents wanting to make sure their children are getting to see the characters they want to see. This is not to say that Disney should not also cater to their older fans. I like the WDW of the 80's just as much as anyone. That's the Disney I grew up with. And I miss it just as much as anyone. But from my own experience as I had a family and took my my kid, it became more important to me that he enjoy it and see what he wanted to see, which was the Disney IP at that time. Watching him was where I got my enjoyment from going to Disney.
Look at Encanto. Very popular right now, and I think that's what a lot of kids want to see. They think of the here and now, not so much as we do of the lasting power of the classic attractions.
Now as my son gets older, he sees things like why is it in this park? Would make more sense in that park instead.
I think the here and now of younger kids and parents wanting to make sure they have the perfect WDW vacation is where a lot of this comes from. Obviously Disney watches this and caters to that demand as the new thing of the day becomes popular.

Just my $.02.

doctornick

A great example of theme shift. Fantasyland isn't, or at least wasn't, Europe. That is just where it has now ended up because of our shifting notions of fantasy.

No, I think it ended up there because Disney themed those lands to Europe - a medieval castle time theme (and forest outside) in MK and nowawdays as a Bavarian Village in DL. If they don't want to evoke Europe, they picked a poor design.

JMcMahonEsq

First I will say I hate how the only way they will add a new attraction now is if they can slap an IP onto that will sell merch.

Second I hate what they are changing Epcot into. It's just another IP park. I would have loved them to continue with having no IP in Epcot. Instead of Nemo or Frozen actually finish some of the original planned attractions.

Look I understand why Disney slaps IP everywhere but what I don't understand is why fans want IP everywhere. Right now so many people posting wanting Encanto in the parks Doesn't anyone like original attractions anymore.
No. No one right now wants original content or attractions.

From a viewer/rider perspective it has been apparent for the last 10+ years that no one wants anything original. Has anything that has been a commercial success over that period (or longer) been original content? Its either been based on books, comics, sequels, or new adaptations of existing works. This is readily apparent both in the film and TV markets.

From an owner/park perspective you have similar reasoning. First attractions are becoming more and more expensive to build. You don't want to risk that investment without some measure of comfort of success, and having a built in established fanbase certainly helps that. Second, Disney wants to be able to cross market, rides, merchandise, apparel, all is more profitable using your self owned IP material. It also again gives you a built in customer base. Finally, IP is an area where Disney has a major advantage over competing parks. Why would they not try to leverage that?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom