It's been 12 years since Disneyland closed....

Old Mouseketeer

My first exposure to Nara Dreamland was at the home of original Dreamfinder, Ron Schneider. We worked together at Magic Mountain in 1977 (he also introduced me to the book The Princess Bride). He had a notebook of 8x10 b&w photos of Dreamland when it first opened. The train station and castle looked eerily similar, but with lots of Japanese people in 1960s attire (yes, with cameras on black straps around their necks). The pics had a "Twilight Zone meets 60s Japanese horror film vibe about them. Ron was one of the greatest characters I have ever met and it was a tremendous mistake on my part not to maintain our friendship.

Nara Dreamland definitely paved the way for Tokyo Disneyland. It even had a similar backstory.

Phroobar

Original Poster
Shijingshan Amusement Park

original-2676-1418326342-33.jpg

original-1801-1418326333-3.jpg

original-8021-1418326449-3.jpg

original-28836-1418326372-14.jpg

They even rip off Universal Studio's Jaws.

original-3196-1418326374-13.jpg

Phroobar

Original Poster
There is a picture I wish I could find of an asian park that ripped DCA's Orange Stinger and a few other DCA structures.

westie

Wow I wish this would have been state side. I betcha one of those tea cups would have fit perfectly into the back of my truck.

SuddenStorm

Sometimes I wish I could build my own theme park, but ultimately I come to the conclusion it'd look as ugly as this and would receive the same fate.

I've had a similar thought. If my RollerCoaster Tycoon career is any indication, armchair imagineering is far easier than the real thing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom